*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

I installed protontricks/winetricks in desktop mode and ran that line from a terminal window
Ah right okay it's run from the terminal. Probably another stupid question but I'm getting command not found so I'm assuming I need to change directory to the protontricks path but I'm struggling to find it. Apologies I'm useless with linux stuff :p

Ah right okay it's run from the terminal. Probably another stupid question but I'm getting command not found so I'm assuming I need to change directory to the protontricks path but I'm struggling to find it. Apologies I'm useless with linux stuff :p
Lol, I ran into the same issues myself :p

From https://github.com/Matoking/protontricks:

To use Protontricks as a command-line application, add shell aliases by running the following commands:

echo "alias protontricks='flatpak run com.github.Matoking.protontricks'" >> ~/.bashrc
echo "alias protontricks-launch='flatpak run --command=protontricks-launch com.github.Matoking.protontricks'" >> ~/.bashrc

You will need to restart your terminal emulator for the aliases to take effect.

Edit: I should add that I installed via the flatpak
so might have just been this line
echo "alias protontricks='flatpak run com.github.Matoking.protontricks'" >> ~/.bashrc

from https://github.com/flathub/com.github.Matoking.protontricks

Last edited:
Right I'll try giving it a go in a bit. Do I need to do anything before installing the flatpak version? I feel like a right boomer :p.

Thanks for the help so far, this should come in handy plenty in the future

Had my 512gb Steam deck for a month now, absolutely love it. After 5 years of Nintendo switch only gaming, it is nice to play PC games again.
Need to branch out a bit though, over 100 hrs on Elden Ring (amazing game) and 13 hrs on Vampire survivors.
Have a long list of Indie games on my wishlist as well, loved browsing the Steam store again, buy a load of memory cards on Black Fri, and then I should be ready for the Steam Xmas sale to really build up a decent backlog

Lol, I ran into the same issues myself :p

From https://github.com/Matoking/protontricks:

To use Protontricks as a command-line application, add shell aliases by running the following commands:

echo "alias protontricks-launch='flatpak run --command=protontricks-launch com.github.Matoking.protontricks'" >> ~/.bashrc

You will need to restart your terminal emulator for the aliases to take effect.

Edit: I should add that I installed via the flatpak
so might have just been this line

from https://github.com/flathub/com.github.Matoking.protontricks
Got it working thanks so much man :D. This sorta info will come in useful constantly with this thing I'm sure!

Yep. All I did for the first month of ownership.

I've now decided the experience of Steam verified/playable library games trumps that of anything else, so abandoned my tinkering unless I REALLY have to.

I have a nice collection of Epic games. But just not worth the effort for me to get them up and running on the Deck; and I've used Linux for the past 5 years. Much rather have a "pick up and play experience" like the Switch. Sticking with Steam only games.

I have a nice collection of Epic games. But just not worth the effort for me to get them up and running on the Deck; and I've used Linux for the past 5 years. Much rather have a "pick up and play experience" like the Switch. Sticking with Steam only games.

I've stopped messing with lutris, bottles and co now. I just use my Windows partition, saves time and you can still use FPS locks, different TDPs and have OSDs, not as slick as the SteamOS but at least everything I throw at it works :)

Have you tried the heroic launcher? Only dabbled but seems pretty easy. Maybe have to load through desktop mode for splash screen setting games but other than that it's click on game and play.

I've had mixed results with heroic. Works fine with GoG but seems to fight me any time i try using it with epic games. Lutris is a little clunky but have managed to get any of the epic game I've tried without too much fuss, including one listed on steam as unsupported. so that's good.

But for the most part agree I'm far more likely to just play steam native games as it is much easier

Last edited:
Heroic is working fine for me for CP2077 and GTA5 although I can't comment on any of the other games I have as I don't have them installed.

Still smashing through Control. Thr 40/40 lock is still working like a champ with only minor drops that seem to impact any machine.

Any reason people stick to 40/40 over 30/30?are the battery savings not worth that additional 10fps drop?

I think its the general "smoothness" feeling, at least for me. The main benefit comes from being able to lock the refresh rate at the Framerate - 30/30 and not 30/60 - the former feels a lot better despite the raw FPS being the same. All down to those lower frametimes*.

For me the 40/40 lock is just to get close to 60 where possible. In something like control 40 is possible with ~ medium settings whereas you might get away with a medium / high mix at 30 but the visual differences are hard to spot.

IIRC Digital Foundry did somewhat of a deep dive into this showing the difference locking the refresh does vs leaving the refresh at 60 using a high speed camera.

Nice thing with the Deck is that it gives you all the options out of the box (in Steam OS at least). :)

I like the 40/40 option. It feels like a good compromise. Feels decently responsive, while giving better battery life and being a little easier to run in higher end games

Seems the 30fps/60 option gives a good half hour or more playtime over 40/40, did i miss them doing 30/30?
I guess it's a nice problem to have to figure out :)

Back
Top Bottom