*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

My 512Gb Evo Select was decent value and seems to perform fine. I initially intended to only use for 2d/indy/older titles but honestly can't really notice any difference in loading times even with more AAA titles. The only "issue" is that there's no 1Tb option as far as I can see.

Main difference is the write speeds and IOPS (denoted by the Ux number and Ax numbers).

For normal Steam deck game usage any decent Micro SD card will do (i.e. if it looks to cheap its no good).

Evo Plus / Select are great and sit pretty much at the top of the pile in terms of what the SD can actually use. There are faster cards but the SD UHS-I interface means it can't take advantage of them.

As I have said before though, if you plan to run Windows off one make sure if it is a A2 / U3 model. That said I would only every recommend running Windows off a SD card for accessing games you can't run on the Steam Deck Natively via Steam OS. I would not use it for general purpose. It runs "fine" in the broad sense but anything hitting the I/O (updates for example) will cause it to slow to a crawl.

Thanks.
I got the evo plus direct from Samsung as I've heard many horror stories of fake cards and it was only £26, I'll likely not use desktop mode much but I'll be keeping an eye out for a cheap SSD.

My 512Gb Evo Select was decent value and seems to perform fine. I initially intended to only use for 2d/indy/older titles but honestly can't really notice any difference in loading times even with more AAA titles. The only "issue" is that there's no 1Tb option as far as I can see.
I have the 1tb evo select card got it when on offer a few weeks ago on amazon before i got the deck, works great

edit the above lol i have a sandisk u3 1tb card, i'd also bought the 512gb evo select

Last edited:
It's HERE!!! Spent the afternoon like a hopeless child waiting for the Evri guy to show up and have a few mins to set off downloads before stupidly going to the pub

Impressed just holding it like a new toy

I've reserved the middle one twice, and both times I cancel it due to funding and hearing about the swap of hardware being slower in the newer models. I'm not sure if to order the smaller and mod it with a custom drive instead but then for such a new piece of kit, having warranty I think would be ideal!

Put the deposit down on Wednesday (512gb) , my slot came today.

Nice! Ordered a 256Gb for my son, but I’ve already got a 512Gb model for myself.

His is going to sit unopened until early December, though I may open it and get it all updated for him in advance. Got to check it works properly, right. :D

I've reserved the middle one twice, and both times I cancel it due to funding and hearing about the swap of hardware being slower in the newer models. I'm not sure if to order the smaller and mod it with a custom drive instead but then for such a new piece of kit, having warranty I think would be ideal!

I checked my 512gb version and it's got the faster SSD, though in practice it supposedly makes no difference.

How you finding it battery life wise the power bank?

I reckon it can only charge the Deck once and have about 30-40% life left?
Not sure but I haven’t left it to just charge the deck whilst in standby or off yet. I have just used it to charge my iPhone though whilst still using it, and it’s fully charged from near dead and the bank has 75% battery, which sounds around right to me.

Nice! Ordered a 256Gb for my son, but I’ve already got a 512Gb model for myself.

His is going to sit unopened until early December, though I may open it and get it all updated for him in advance. Got to check it works properly, right. :D

The problem I am going to have is working out how to get it from my UK address to where I spend most of the year (India).

I dont want to courier it, so will have to either wait or find out if one of my friends/family or colleagues is planning to travel to India in the near future.

The problem I am going to have is working out how to get it from my UK address to where I spend most of the year (India).

I dont want to courier it, so will have to either wait or find out if one of my friends/family or colleagues is planning to travel to India in the near future.
Why wouldn’t you courier it just make sure it’s insured might cost a bit but would have it within a few days

Back
Top Bottom