*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Much quicker turn around than I was expecting - I only reserved the 512GB model on Thursday and received the email notification to say it was ready to be paid today, which I've just done. Looking forward to getting it.

That's what I did. It has got better with time. But feels nowhere near as smooth as the right stick. I never ended up RMAing mine. Might do if it gets worse.
You also run the risk with RMA of getting a worse deck, one with dead pixels or other issues. I'll RMA if it gets worse or if something else breaks. It's not too bad right now.

I got my confirm order email and only ordered yesterday. When it arrives it will have to be hidden as this is a Christmas present for my sone. Honest, it really is :D

Pre-ordered a 64gb SteamDeck about 3 days ago and have already got an email to complete my purchase!, quite excited, I originally pre-ordered a 256gb version but cancelled due to the cost being nearly half a grand, the 64gb version at 'only' £349 feels a lot more palatable, and checking reviews online the load times really do seem to compare well to the SSD version.

Last edited:
Pre-ordered a 64gb SteamDeck about 3 days ago and have already got an email to complete my purchase!, quite excited, I originally pre-ordered a 256gb version but cancelled due to the cost being nearly half a grand, the 64gb version at 'only' £349 feels a lot more palatable, and checking reviews online the load times really do seem to compare well to the SSD version.

Yeah the 64GB at £349 is the most logical choice on paper and obviously you would require a decent sized SD card for game storage. Though even that would only add £30 for 256GB (a bit too small for my liking), or £60 for a more realistic 512GB SD.

I had initially settled on a 256GB Steam Deck with a 512GB SD card. In the end I just figured that I would be spending an extra ~£60 for a micro SD card, so just man mathed my way to spending an extra £50 for the 512GB version.

It’s a long thread but has anyone seen anything about how much it is costing Valve to make these? Are they expecting to make most profit by increased transactions on Steam?
I believe the quote was something along the line of "it was painful reaching this price point"

My guess is they probably are making a little on the 256 and 512 models, and probably aren't really loosing money on the 64gb but would have had to commit to higher parts orders than they were comfortable with to get it that cheap. But since its seemed like they have sold a ton they likely are at least making thier money back on them.

Overall I'd say small profit from total hardware sales with the hope of large profit from game sales. Also gives them an advantage over epic or Microsoft who have both been throwing money around to try grow in the pc gaming space.

Ordered the dbrand killswitch skin on Monday, order dispatch confirmation on Tuesday. Just received an email saying the magnetic kickstand causes certain fans to slow down, so do not use it on the case. They have suspended sales and to those who have already ordered they advise not to use the stand with everyone receiving a full new kit containing the new mechanical stand by January.

On the plus side I will get a reserve skin come January.

Got mine yesterday and LOVE it. Such a premium feel to the case, nice and sturdy (sending the £15 silicon one I got last week back) and grippy. Got the screen protector on first time, not bothered with the 'half' sticker as already got a full size yellow one. And some nice TouchProtect over the touchpads. Tempted to switch out the sticks for these Gulikit ones I see people talk about. Are they worth the switch for £23 and a sacrificing the touch sensor on the sticks?

y4mzYeNX5R5aWTWwzGpRtR4KLdH_g2aOqJtmlqlxW3enelfgxQxZv8FsZH5d17B8lSCrc74UqbDpHamHKEA4JUp2UQlQAMjiv6VZhU2p7zY_ztJFgmjXt20wW60YyxSpgOfbJ28rl6n3Nq3vkUTNCH_9y9FUBweGiQAmhs7B2Rz0_LzKFIWgzCGFpaL6_VTusA7

I believe the quote was something along the line of "it was painful reaching this price point"

My guess is they probably are making a little on the 256 and 512 models, and probably aren't really loosing money on the 64gb but would have had to commit to higher parts orders than they were comfortable with to get it that cheap. But since its seemed like they have sold a ton they likely are at least making thier money back on them.

Overall I'd say small profit from total hardware sales with the hope of large profit from game sales. Also gives them an advantage over epic or Microsoft who have both been throwing money around to try grow in the pc gaming space.

They're definitely getting their Steam Sales money from me. Now I actually read the Steam Sale popups, think "That'd be good on Deck, CLICK, Install, that'd be good on Deck, CLICK, Install...." then play Vampire Survivors for another three hours :p

I got my confirm order email and only ordered yesterday. When it arrives it will have to be hidden as this is a Christmas present for my sone. Honest, it really is :D

You’ll have to take it out the box and get it all updated before Christmas, probably midway through December at least.

No fun for a child to faff about with that on Christmas Day. ;)

Update on the stick 'grinding' issue. It got better with further use, and I cleaned the stick stem with a cotton bud dipped in isopropyl alcohol, and it's not really an issue now. I can still feel it very slightly but it's not distracting now like it was originally.

Does anyone have Windows running on theirs? Will be going abroad and need to quarantine when I arrive, but a couple of games I play don't run on SteamOS (due to anti cheat). Going to do the Windows 2 Go method with an SD card, just curious how people found it.

Does anyone have Windows running on theirs? Will be going abroad and need to quarantine when I arrive, but a couple of games I play don't run on SteamOS (due to anti cheat). Going to do the Windows 2 Go method with an SD card, just curious how people found it.

Yes I use Windows specifically for the games that don't run on Steam OS for whatever reason (Destiny 2 mainly). Its runs fine from a decent SD card (A2 / U3 spec Samsung Select 512GB) but manage your expectations when it comes to load times and software installations. I should note in terms of performance in game it is identical to running the same game off an external USB SSD (what I use to run Windows when docked).

Yes I use Windows specifically for the games that don't run on Steam OS for whatever reason (Destiny 2 mainly). Its runs fine from a decent SD card (A2 / U3 spec Samsung Select 512GB) but manage your expectations when it comes to load times and software installations. I should note in terms of performance in game it is identical to running the same game off an external USB SSD (what I use to run Windows when docked).
Cheers, got an A2/U3 one on the way. I'm not expecting brilliant load times due to the read/write speed limitations of an SD card, just as long as the games themselves run fine. For the controller do you need to install Steam or is there a 3rd party tool that can do it instead?

Cheers, got an A2/U3 one on the way. I'm not expecting brilliant load times due to the read/write speed limitations of an SD card, just as long as the games themselves run fine. For the controller do you need to install Steam or is there a 3rd party tool that can do it instead?

Depends on the game and whether it has controller support or not. D2 for example defaults to xbox controls and bizarrely mirrors crouch (B button) on one of the back paddles (with no obvious way to change it). I am guessing that you can do further mapping / choose different layouts I just haven't looked much into it.

Depends on the game and whether it has controller support or not. D2 for example defaults to xbox controls and bizarrely mirrors crouch (B button) on one of the back paddles (with no obvious way to change it). I am guessing that you can do further mapping / choose different layouts I just haven't looked much into it.
Thanks, I'll play around for a bit and see how it goes. I've seen this being mentioned a few times as a controller driver, so may give it a go with that if my games don't pick it up natively: https://github.com/mKenfenheuer/steam-deck-windows-usermode-driver

Back
Top Bottom