*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

I would prefer if they didn't put a charger in and reduced the price.
The dock will live in 1 spot and use the official charger that came with the deck so if I need to charge I can just plug it into the dock to charge. Having another charger wouldn't be of any use to me.
I think the price is a bit too steep and I echo the remarks to the JSAUX.
I get that people may want longer periods of play time and may move around the house so the extra charger is justified. I don't get a lot play sadly lol

I've ordered the Dock, will basically replace where my Switch dock is in the living room. Will pair with an xbox controller and use it to play indie/older games natively on the TV, and then stream higher-end titles from my PC to the TV downstairs. Thats the plan anyway.

Got mine this morning, so only 1 day from entering UK to being in my hands.

Now I need to find a list of stuff to install and mess around with!

Last edited:
Anyone got Witcher 3 running at a solid 40 FPS with no drops while maintaining a solid battery life? Currently running on low settings, 1172x720 with FSR set to 1 and TDP limited to 8 and manage to squeeze out 3+ hours.

Am interested in getting one. What version of the deck do people recommend? Is the screen and bigger ssd worth it? Was also wondering if I could use it to RDP into a VM on unraid. Or is it not really worth it considering the deck can act as a PC if you install windows etc?

64GB is fine as the SSD is a simple upgrade, depending on if you're comfortable doing it. SD cards are also easy to use for games. No idea about the screen on the 512 version.

You can swap to desktop mode (Linux) , you might want to look into what that offers, no Windows required.

Am interested in getting one. What version of the deck do people recommend? Is the screen and bigger ssd worth it? Was also wondering if I could use it to RDP into a VM on unraid. Or is it not really worth it considering the deck can act as a PC if you install windows etc?

I have a 512GB on order but the reason I went for that is mainly because it is a Christmas present and I wanted as hassle free as possible. No messing with SD cards, or doing the install/uninstall shuffle on a smaller SSD.

If I were buying for myself I would get a 64GB and put a £60 512GB SD into it. I would not risk voiding any warranty upgrading the SSD for 10 seconds of load time.

I have a 512GB on order but the reason I went for that is mainly because it is a Christmas present and I wanted as hassle free as possible. No messing with SD cards, or doing the install/uninstall shuffle on a smaller SSD.

If I were buying for myself I would get a 64GB and put a £60 512GB SD into it. I would not risk voiding any warranty upgrading the SSD for 10 seconds of load time.
Hell of a present!

First impressions for me are really good. Was concerned about the sheer size and weight but as others have commented the ergonomics make it work.

Only niggle I have is that the analogues could be grippier. May look into after market rubber pads or something.

Sweet jesus I had a fun day.. Upgrading my 64GB to 256 was a nightmare, I thought I'd genuinely broken it at one point...

Opened up the Deck and swapped the SSD (easy enough)
I put the OS image onto a USB flash drive and used a USB C adapter, booted into recovery mode and... It sat there doing nothing.
Rebooted, nothing. Re-did the iso in Windows, nothing.
So then I read to use the sdcard slot instead as it's faster, I only have the 1 card, so I lost all my installed games and put the boot image onto it.
Booted off the card fine, chose the full restore option and, it seemed to start up OK then the terminal just closed... Aaargh!

I then had to go spend time with my family on a day out, how annoying ;)

When I got home I tried to boot from the SD card again but it wouldn't boot to desktop, it kept throwing up errors. I reformatted and re-imaged the card twice, redownloaded the image even but no joy!

So I went back to the USB drive, it slowly... Veeeery slowly booted to the desktop (2nd try) and eventually it did its thing.

I then rebooted and.... None of the buttons worked, no track pads, buttons, nothing... The touchscreen did though and I connected to WiFi and... It updated, then got stuck on the "starting steam deck update download"!
Another reboot and it updated, rebooted and.... It works fine!

That's 3hrs of my life and a lot of stress but I now have a 256GB deck upgrade for £18!

Sweet jesus I had a fun day.. Upgrading my 64GB to 256 was a nightmare, I thought I'd genuinely broken it at one point...

I put the OS image onto a USB flash drive and used a USB C adapter, booted into recovery mode and... It sat there doing nothing.
So then I read to use the sdcard slot instead as it's faster, I only have the 1 card, so I lost all my installed games and put the boot image onto it.
Booted off the card fine, chose the full restore option and, it seemed to start up OK then the terminal just closed... Aaargh!

When I got home I tried to boot from the SD card again but it wouldn't boot to desktop, it kept throwing up errors. I reformatted and re-imaged the card twice, redownloaded the image even but no joy!

So I went back to the USB drive, it slowly... Veeeery slowly booted to the desktop (2nd try) and eventually it did its thing.

I then rebooted and.... None of the buttons worked, no track pads, buttons, nothing... The touchscreen did though and I connected to WiFi and... It updated, then got stuck on the "starting steam deck update download"!

That's 3hrs of my life and a lot of stress but I now have a 256GB deck upgrade for £18!

And that is why I bought the 512gb version. :p

And that is why I bought the 512gb version. :p
Yeah, think the 512gb version is going to be the one, if I end up getting one! :p

I've ordered the Dock, will basically replace where my Switch dock is in the living room. Will pair with an xbox controller and use it to play indie/older games natively on the TV, and then stream higher-end titles from my PC to the TV downstairs. Thats the plan anyway.

Exactly this, replace the Switch dock in the living room and play some older games and driving sims. :)

I am really glad it comes with a charger as this was one of my Switch bug bears; you had to buy another dock or charger, neither were cheap as standalones.

Back
Top Bottom