*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Last edited:
I've just got a few 512GB SD cards in printed holder, the deck is hot swappable. Top tip: put a small piece of electrical tape to cover the SD slot when you have a card in to avoid accidentally losing it.

Mine came on Sat! ive only played around with my Steam Library so far but very impressed, want to install some games i got from the Ukraine Bundle on itch.io so will be doing that next.

I want Emustation on a sd card but can i then swap out on the fly for another sd card with steam games?

Got mine today one week after placing a reservation. Had a quick play about to test and it works perectly. I know this is the 512GB version with the etched glass screen but I think I am still going to put a screen protector on this.

Had mine a few weeks now and I'm loving it. A few days ago I started Skyrim SE, just as a test, but kinda got into it again (been years since I played). So I went back on PC, started modding the game (took me ages), and moved my entire Data folder across to the Steam Deck. It works! I'm playing a heavily modded Skyrim SE on handheld, I'm still amazed. It runs way better than the old PC I used to play/mod it on. I locked performance to 40/40 refresh and only occasionally get dips to low/mid 30's in busy areas (like Whiterun).

Has anyone got the Steam Deck to run games off a network drive?

I have the drive mapped and I can access it on the desktop but when I use programs such as EmuDeck. It doesnt see the mapped drive or any other program I use. Any ideas?

Classic one of my impulse buys. No idea why I wanted a device to play pc games worse than my laptop but I need to get it out my system.

I have barely touched it so far. I somewhat 'force' myself to take it with me to try and use it. I just don't think games made for a PC scale well on a tiny screen. Portable games are made specifically for it, PC games are not. Just my thoughts. Don't get me wrong... some games look really nice. Plus.. Battery life... SUCCCCCCCCCKKKKSSSS.

I'll probably buy the steam dock anyway LMAO.

Last edited:
I have barely touched it so far. I somewhat 'force' myself to take it with me to try and use it. I just don't think games made for a PC scale well on a tiny screen. Portable games are made specifically for it, PC games are not. Just my thoughts. Don't get me wrong... some games look really nice. Plus.. Battery life... SUCCCCCCCCCKKKKSSSS.

Yep. Explains why most the stuff I see is people using for emulation.

Yep. Explains why most the stuff I see is people using for emulation.

I think a major part of my negative outlook is that I am home 99% of the time... For the past two years. I go to the basement, remote work, play, design stuff. I go out for any vacation... Taking my daughter to figure skating and music practice, takeout etc. When I do go out, I am the one driving etc.

I need to learn to relax more lol.

It depends on the game, older games should as Shadow of War play well on the smaller screen. For me Ex-Zodiac, DRAINUS. Okinawa Rush are great on the Steam Deck but these are games which would work well on the Switch too.

Some excellent Micro SD card deals have just appeared. EVO select 256/512's ;)

Thanks :) Just purchased another Evo Select 512GB for extra Steam library space.

Also switched the UMA Buffer size on the Deck to 4GB last night to see what difference it would make in Windows. Running on the SD card it seemed to perform a little smoother overall although this could be a placebo effect (I changed something that should make it better so does). Shouldn't have any negative impacts elsewhere so no harm keeping it on to carry on testing.

The JSAUX dock is £39.99 on Amazon as well. Believe it can be had a little cheaper from them direct with a first order voucher but nice to have that Amazon guarentee. Does anyone have any screen protector recommendations?

Bought a 512GB Samsung Evo and kinda tempted to get another just in case...

Back
Top Bottom