*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Anyone else tempted by a dock for everything other than displaying out to a TV? I really like the idea of having somewhere i can just put it down and have it charging. The ports would probably be useful too for doing the more fiddley stuff in desktop mode.

Convince me to stop spending money :p.

Anyone else tempted by a dock for everything other than displaying out to a TV? I really like the idea of having somewhere i can just put it down and have it charging. The ports would probably be useful too for doing the more fiddley stuff in desktop mode.

Buy a dock or if you want to spend less a usb c multi-port hub with PD for £15-£25 :)

Last edited:
Actually saw a screen comparison today here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/xzw536/64_vs_512_close_up_screen_comparison_overhead/

You can get screen protectors that mitigate it on the other models making the 512 value fall even further behind.

Has anyone played games like Civ on the deck, if so how does it run? Loads of talk in here and like 1% is about actually playing games :D

Civ6 is one of the first things I installed on mine just to compare to my Mac’s I normally play it on! Once you get your head around the control scheme (left click is basically left hand does something which is strange) it plays really well and copes with a decent range of mods, been taken out this evening so I’m only half way through my first proper game so not 100% what the end game chug is like on it :D

Turns out it’s all good for civ5 but 3 heads down an old bug from wine with the audio getting stuck (nightmares from 15 years ago), but yeah it’s a solid way to game 4X titles

The one that surprised me most was Farcry, no idea how many setups I’ve tried to get that to run stably over the years and this did it almost instantly!!

It’s been fun explaining to the gf quite why this is so cool…

haha, I think i will wait for the Samsung...that one is better isn't it?

Better write speeds for sure.

Bought one of these last time they were cheap. Sooo many SD cards :D. Here is the h2testw result, not too shabby and decent enough for my dedicated emu card.

Writing speed: 36.0 MByte/s
Reading speed: 81.0 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Last edited:
I've just finished playing portal (for the umpteenth time) and have started to play with the TDP settings, a locked 60fps at 4W with GPU speed turned down (400ish maybe) is just amazing, it's an old game of course but still....!

Tiny Tina 1 shot on epic ran pretty well at ~13W too (40/40)

Last edited:

Well the screen will black out any way so you have to play on a TV unless playing desktop mode.

I've just finished playing portal (for the umpteenth time) and have started to play with the TDP settings, a locked 60fps at 4W with GPU speed turned down (400ish maybe) is just amazing, it's an old game of course but still....!

Tiny Tina 1 shot on epic ran pretty well at ~13W too (40/40)

ive started playing portal as well but for the first time :O .... i know its disgraceful, going to move onto portal 2 after

Had my email from Steam notifying that my Steam Docking Station is on its way, currently with GLS so it might arrive by the weekend. :)

The only drawback the Xbox and Switch was the dearth of driving sims so it'll be good to play Simbin, Automobilista, Euro Truckers on the big screen!

Literally have a 12700K gaming PC sat to my right but this is how I am currently using my "pc".... :D:D

4Jq90Nql.jpg

Lorna Shore on Youtube and about to fire up some D2 because why not.. After all my desktop doesn't have three screens, it "only" has two.... pffft!

(Note - This is my Windows via external USB3 SSD and not the SD card boot which I only use for gaming).

Did a quick speed test:

eypx1KFl.png.jpg

Yep, that is fine for its purpose. Randoms could be a bit better but not going to complain. :)

Literally have a 12700K gaming PC sat to my right but this is how I am currently using my "pc".... :D:D

4Jq90Nql.jpg

Lorna Shore on Youtube and about to fire up some D2 because why not.. After all my desktop doesn't have three screens, it "only" has two.... pffft!

(Note - This is my Windows via external USB3 SSD and not the SD card boot which I only use for gaming).

Did a quick speed test:

eypx1KFl.png.jpg

Yep, that is fine for its purpose. Randoms could be a bit better but not going to complain. :)
Damn, never thought of this. Those who have huge gaming PCs who also work from home could see a big difference in energy bills by switching to one of these. Not sure how much electricity a gaming PCs uses doing office work, but would have thought the deck would be cheaper to run.

Just a reminder for everyone with an epic games acccount to check/download the freebies, couple of platformers for free right now, fallout 3 apparently free from the 20th.

Back
Top Bottom