*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

High percentage? Give me 10 games you want to play that don't work on Linux.

Majority of Gamepass games can be played through xCloud.

Bit childish. Out of the top 1000, 19% are unsupported and that is a tad over 10 (protondb) that is just Steam and not all the other launchers or old games.

If you want to waste time trying to get games working in Lutris, bottles, wine and umpteen versions of proton go for it I would rather just play them.

You cannot guarantee a solid network connection all the time for xcloud.

Last edited:
Looking to place an order on Sunday so it doesn’t arrive until I get back from holiday.

Was set on the 256gb one, but now considering the 512gb, are there still reports of the anti-glare screen having issues, or have these been fixed now?

I‘ve tried a cheap anti-glare screen for my Switch, but made everything significantly more blurry, but did a decent job of reducing the glare, will it be the same on the Deck?

Apart from the lack of reflections (which some people can totally tolerate, myself included) you wouldn't know the screen is etched- it is pin sharp. However for the extra storage, an etched screen and a slightly better case, the 512 isn't the best value.

Remember replacement screens are available so it's possible to swap it out down the road if you ever have regret.

Bit childish. Out of the top 1000, 19% are unsupported and that is a tad over 10 (protondb) that is just Steam and not all the other launchers or old games.

If you want to waste time trying to get games working in Lutris, bottles, wine and umpteen versions of proton go for it I would rather just play them.

You cannot guarantee a solid network connection all the time for xcloud.
Not childish at all. I am asking you to give me ten games that you want to play that you need Windows for.

I am trying to save you a headache of doing something like installing Windows on the Deck when all you really need to do for most games is specify which version of Proton to use.

'Unsupported' doesn't mean they won't work, they just haven't been tested as of yet.

Curse this thread.
I was adamant I didn't want a Steam Deck, but now they're easily available it's drawing me in.

I really can't decide which version I would get either. The base 64GB model at £350 seems superb value really for the tech you get, and I will probably be installing most stuff to a big SD card anyway. However, the non reflective screen of the 512 model is also appealing to me, but the cost for that model feels a lot for what it is, compared to the base model. The middle one seems a good all rounder, but as someone who is very comfortable opening stuff up and adding drives or whatever, then I may as well just get the cheaper one and mod if/ when I need? But the cost of these 2230 ssd drives is shooting up as Steam Deckers must all be doing this.

I also know that I will want to be dual booting so need to factor that in. Gaaah.
My current thoughts/ plan is - get base 64GB model and then put in a cheap used 128GB 2230 ssd, then a 1TB micro SD card. For those more in the know, could I have Steam OS installed on the built in 64GB storage, and Windows installed on the 128GB ssd and then set up a dual boot system? And then have a single 1TB SD card that has most of the content on it that can be accessed by Steam OS, and by Windows? Anyone?

Last edited:
Apart from the lack of reflections (which some people can totally tolerate, myself included) you wouldn't know the screen is etched- it is pin sharp. However for the extra storage, an etched screen and a slightly better case, the 512 isn't the best value.

Remember replacement screens are available so it's possible to swap it out down the road if you ever have regret.
Would adding a screen protector make it glossy again, what would happen if I add a protector, or are people just going without?

Not childish at all. I am asking you to give me ten games that you want to play that you need Windows for.

I am trying to save you a headache of doing something like installing Windows on the Deck when all you really need to do for most games is specify which version of Proton to use.

'Unsupported' doesn't mean they won't work, they just haven't been tested as of yet.
Headache :cry: No different than any other Windows install, what would make you think otherwise?

You do you. Spend unnecessary money on buying all the games on gamepass again on steam.

Curse this thread.
I was adamant I didn't want a Steam Deck, but now they're easily available it's drawing me in.

I really can't decide which version I would get either. The base 64GB model at £350 seems superb value really for the tech you get, and I will probably be installing most stuff to a big SD card anyway. However, the non reflective screen of the 512 model is also appealing to me, but the cost for that model feels a lot for what it is, compared to the base model. The middle one seems a good all rounder, but as someone who is very comfortable opening stuff up and adding drives or whatever, then I may as well just get the cheaper one and mod if/ when I need? But the cost of these 2230 ssd drives is shooting up as Steam Deckers must all be doing this.

I also know that I will want to be dual booting so need to factor that in. Gaaah.
My current thoughts/ plan is - get base 64GB model and then put in a cheap used 128GB 2230 ssd, then a 1TB micro SD card. For those more in the know, could I have Steam OS installed on the built in 64GB storage, and Windows installed on the 128GB ssd and then set up a dual boot system? And then have a single 1TB SD card that has most of the content on it that can be accessed by Steam OS, and by Windows? Anyone?
This guide here seems to support Windows on a separate SSD, but I don't think you could combine your Steam OS and Windows files on the same SD.

https://wagnerstechtalk.com/sd-windows/#Q_A

I have to admit I am really liking Windows on the deck. Dual booting now so if I need Steam OS I can always switch back quickly. Everything running nicely as opposed to Linux where it's headache tinkering just to get non Steam games running etc.

Last edited:
This guide here seems to support Windows on a separate SSD, but I don't think you could combine your Steam OS and Windows files on the same SD.

https://wagnerstechtalk.com/sd-windows/#Q_A

Thanks fella. I Found what seems like a very good new guide on setting up a dual boot deck, but with the amazing bonus of SHARED storage for the internal drive, and SD storage. Check this out...

Done a ton of research today, ended up ordering the base 64GB model and a 256GB nvme drive off the rainyforest for only £28. Seems a no brainer. The non reflective glass of the 512 model was intriguing me but as I'll only ever really use inside, there's not much point it seems from vids I've watched. And decent anti glare screen protectors seem to be coming out now if you really want it.

I have no qualms about installing an nvme drive myself so I've basically just ordered the middle model for only £377 vs £459. Will experiment with this and a current 128GB SD card I've got, then get a whopper SD card I reckon if all goes well....

Last edited:
Thanks fella. I Found what seems like a very good new guide on setting up a dual boot deck, but with the amazing bonus of SHARED storage for the internal drive, and SD storage. Check this out...

Done a ton of research today, ended up ordering the base 64GB model and a 256GB nvme drive off the rainyforest for only £28. Seems a no brainer. The non reflective glass of the 512 model was intriguing me but as I'll only ever really use inside, there's not much point it seems from vids I've watched. And decent anti glare screen protectors seem to be coming out now if you really want it.

I have no qualms about installing an nvme drive myself so I've basically just ordered the middle model for only £377 vs £459. Will experiment with this and a current 128GB SD card I've got, then get a whopper SD card I reckon if all goes well....
Great stuff buddy, will have a look at the link you posted - but for me so far I haven't needed Windows.

Great plan though on far cheaper SSD upgrade :)

Would adding a screen protector make it glossy again, what would happen if I add a protector, or are people just going without?
I've just gone without on my 512- the screen's replaceable if I ever need to, and I cant tolerate anything that interferes with touch.

Honestly I wouldn't use the screen type as a differentiator- the matte screen is nice but I've used both and would never have had a problem with the screen on the 64/256.

I've just gone without on my 512- the screen's replaceable if I ever need to, and I cant tolerate anything that interferes with touch.

Honestly I wouldn't use the screen type as a differentiator- the matte screen is nice but I've used both and would never have had a problem with the screen on the 64/256.
Good to know, will save a little and get the 256 with a screen protector then, I’m not the biggest fan of touch screens on handhelds anyway

Ive tried a couple of screen protectors on my 512GB and removed both. The first turned the screen almost to a mirror and the second matt one made everything blurry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom