*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Is anyone else a bit overwhelmed using the deck with all the options the thing has? Booted mine up for the first time, installed FTL, didn't like the controls, got lost trying to change them so closed it down. Went to follow a guide to install Emudeck, and found out I can't put the files on the sd card as it doesn't read on a windows PC, and I have no dock. The official dock is so expensive as well, debating if it's worth it against a cheap one.

My tight arsed/ frugal approach to my Steam Deck Journey so far:

- 64GB model: £349
- 256GB NVME drive to install myself: £28
- usb 3 to usb c adapter: £4
- usb c to usb c Gen2 (10GB) cable for KVM: £15 (my monitor has built in KVM, no need for a dock!)
- Lexar Play (A2) 1TB micro SD: £92 (used)

= £488 TOTAL

Pretty chuffed with that. As something I may not end up using loads, I wanted to do this as cheap as possible, but need to throw some proper storage at it to give it a chance, hence the extra SSD and 1TB SD card. Got my "preparing to ship email" yesterday for the deck itself.

Having done a fair bit of research into all this before I get it, I'm about 90% certain I'll end up sacking Steam OS and installing Windows 11 and then Playnite on this. Playnite even has a deck theme https://playnite.link/forum/thread-1088.html

Getting everything I will want working via Steam OS looks like it will be an absolute ball ache.

Last edited:
My tight arsed/ frugal approach to my Steam Deck Journey so far:

- 64GB model: £349
- 256GB NVME drive to install myself: £28
- usb 3 to usb c adapter: £4
- usb c to usb c Gen2 (10GB) cable for KVM: £15 (my monitor has built in KVM, no need for a dock!)
- Lexar Play (A2) 1TB micro SD: £92 (used)

= £488 TOTAL

Pretty chuffed with that. As something I may not end up using loads, I wanted to do this as cheap as possible, but need to throw some proper storage at it to give it a chance, hence the extra SSD and 1TB SD card. Got my "preparing to ship email" yesterday for the deck itself.

Having done a fair bit of research into all this before I get it, I'm about 90% certain I'll end up sacking Steam OS and installing Windows 11 and then Playnite on this. Playnite even has a deck theme https://playnite.link/forum/thread-1088.html

Getting everything I will want working via Steam OS looks like it will be an absolute ball ache.
I think I would have probably done the same had I known how easy(ish) the ssd swap was

its definately not pretty but i've just made a stand out of a perfect width cardboard box that holds it at just the right angle for me to use keyboard and mouse etc whilst i still try and figure out this emudeck, for some of the emulators im getting an error saying emulator not found, i thought it installed them all by default, i know about the bios files etc but thought the emulators were installed?

I got Emudeck working. The biggest hassle was setting up the controls with Primehack and the PSP emulator wouldn't access files from my SD card, so I had to use a folder on my internal drive for that. I can't seem to find a way to configure the screen though as I'd like to apply some sort of filtering for 2D games, or even better CRT emulation.

One other thing I've done is install Proton GE which has allowed me to run Batman Arkham Asylum which doesn't run with the default Proton version on the deck. It was very easy to do in desktop mode, even without plugging in a keyboard and mouse, and makes a larger part of your Steam collection playable.

Oh and Witcher 3 is cheap on Steam right now if anyone wants to get that for a no-hassle Steamdeck experience.

One other thing I've done is install Proton GE which has allowed me to run Batman Arkham Asylum which doesn't run with the default Proton version on the deck. It was very easy to do in desktop mode, even without plugging in a keyboard and mouse, and makes a larger part of your Steam collection playable.

Oh and Witcher 3 is cheap on Steam right now if anyone wants to get that for a no-hassle Steamdeck experience.
Witcher 3 runs brilliantly at the locked 40/40, about 20 hours in now really getting into it :D

I got Emudeck working. The biggest hassle was setting up the controls with Primehack and the PSP emulator wouldn't access files from my SD card, so I had to use a folder on my internal drive for that. I can't seem to find a way to configure the screen though as I'd like to apply some sort of filtering for 2D games, or even better CRT emulation.
Install flatseal if haven't already and run it. If you select PPSSPP you should be able to check the filesystem permissions it has. It should have either all system files selected to give full access or you can add the path directly in the other files section. For me I removed the all system files and manually added a path that was something like /run/media/mmcblk0p1/whereever

If I buy a game on Xbox, can I play the same game on Steam Deck with the Xbox launcher thing?

For instance, I do not want to sign up to Gamepass, I want to own the game outright, so I buy said game, will I be able to play it on my Steam Deck as well, or is it because I just bought the game outright, I am locked to Xbox, and can’t play on PC without game pass?

If I buy a game on Xbox, can I play the same game on Steam Deck with the Xbox launcher thing?

For instance, I do not want to sign up to Gamepass, I want to own the game outright, so I buy said game, will I be able to play it on my Steam Deck as well, or is it because I just bought the game outright, I am locked to Xbox, and can’t play on PC without game pass?

Afraid you'll be locked out, no Xbox version of a game is crossplay/ownership with Steam

What I mean is, will that game work with xbox game launcher if I install Windows on the Deck, or do I also need to be signed up to Gamepass to be able to play on Xbox & PC?
I think if game is tagged as an Xbox Play Anywhere title then buying it on xbox store should give access to play on xbox and on windows, if that's what you mean ?

I own the witcher 3 on GOG is there any benefit to buying it on steam ?

I've sacked off Steam OS permanently now. Running Windows 11, everything just works. I even have button combos for adjusting TDP and 40hz/60hz. Battery life isn't too bad when you bring down the TDP and run at 40hz. Steam OS is just a ball ache.

SWICD_12.png

Back
Top Bottom