*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

I "think" the pre shader cache stuff means there is a chance it runs ever so slightly better...
Runs without frame rate hitches where normally shaders would be recompiled on the fly.

Also no need to manually download and install the game. Much easier on the deck with a Steam version - which is why the deck is such a cunning move for Valve.

So what's the smart move. 64gb model and upgrade the SSD?

Not sure I like that mat screen from reviews. I have no concerns ripping the deck apart after first boot to put an SSD in if I can find one cheap.

But mostly they seem expensive to buy these little sad cards

I personally find it absolutely fine. Yeah I’d like Gamepass but I’m not sure it’s worth nuking the OS for, at least not for now.
I found it hassle. Having to mess with different things to get games and launchers working. It was just tedious. Windows just "works".

Not sure I like that mat screen from reviews. I have no concerns ripping the deck apart after first boot to put an SSD in if I can find one cheap.

64gb all the way if you want to save £££

I managed to get a 1tb ssd for around £140 of ebay, was shipped from china but arrived withing about a week with no import charges

I think if game is tagged as an Xbox Play Anywhere title then buying it on xbox store should give access to play on xbox and on windows, if that's what you mean ?
Yes, that's the one!

So it looks like I have to make sure the game is Xbox Play anywhere, and then install Windows on the Deck, got it :)

Not this week. They always ship on a Tuesday, they do it in batches. It takes a week.
So it looks like the delivery is faster now, just got an email from the concierge saying I have a small package waiting, and I’ve tracked parcel force and it’s definitely the deck.

I don’t get back until Sunday, so I’m just hoping it’s safe there for the next few days…

So it looks like the delivery is faster now, just got an email from the concierge saying I have a small package waiting, and I’ve tracked parcel force and it’s definitely the deck.

I don’t get back until Sunday, so I’m just hoping it’s safe there for the next few days…

Much of a gamer, your concierge? :D

Last edited:
Get gaming my son!!!! She's a beast!!!
Heha, will do soon. Seem to spend more time messing about, tinkering and modding rather than actual gaming these days - partly why I got a deck.
Saw your earlier post about switching to Windows. I'm going to give Steam OS a shot but will most likely do this, or at least dual boot. You dual booting or fully Windowed up?

Heha, will do soon. Seem to spend more time messing about, tinkering and modding rather than actual gaming these days - partly why I got a deck.
Saw your earlier post about switching to Windows. I'm going to give Steam OS a shot but will most likely do this, or at least dual boot. You dual booting or fully Windowed up?
I thought the same at first, tinkering in Steam OS is just a headache. You may like it at first but it soon shows it's dreary head. I'm fully Windoze 11 now without a hitch. Am loving it.

Last edited:
I thought the same at first, tinkering in Steam OS is just a headache. You may like it at first but it soon shows it's dreary head. I'm fully Windoze 11 now without a hitch. Am loving it.
Anything you miss about Steam OS? How easy is it to set up the 40hz refresh equivalent in Windows? And the TDP stuff?

Anything you miss about Steam OS? How easy is it to set up the 40hz refresh equivalent in Windows? And the TDP stuff?
I don't miss any of it. It's easy, follow this guide: https://github.com/baldsealion/Steamdeck-Ultimate-Windows11-Guide/wiki

20 mins and jobs a goodun! trust me you won't ever need to go back after this, everything just flowwwwwwwwwwws. I pity the fool who spends 2 hours trying to get Proton working with a non steam game :cry: @hyperseven knows the craic.

Last edited:
Looks like EA are updating a bunch of their games to use their new 'EA App' launcher, which breaking games on Steam deck.

I bought Jedi Fallen Order as it was on sale on Steam and verified as 'great on deck', and it won't launch because the EA login/auth screen renders as a green rectangle. :mad:

Runs without frame rate hitches where normally shaders would be recompiled on the fly.

Also no need to manually download and install the game. Much easier on the deck with a Steam version - which is why the deck is such a cunning move for Valve.
Might re buy it on steam then only £6.99 for game of the year edition, previously had it on the switch and it was a blurry mess. Never actually played more than an hour in total on gog or switch maybe i can sink more hours in on the deck

Looks like EA are updating a bunch of their games to use their new 'EA App' launcher, which breaking games on Steam deck.

I bought Jedi Fallen Order as it was on sale on Steam and verified as 'great on deck', and it won't launch because the EA login/auth screen renders as a green rectangle. :mad:

Same think happened to Bioshock remastered games with the 2k launcher.

I feel the "verified" status takes too long to change, and the community reporting a game broken should strip that green tick within days of a change like this with refunds offered too.

Back
Top Bottom