*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Looks like EA are updating a bunch of their games to use their new 'EA App' launcher, which breaking games on Steam deck.

I bought Jedi Fallen Order as it was on sale on Steam and verified as 'great on deck', and it won't launch because the EA login/auth screen renders as a green rectangle. :mad:

That’s annoying is there anyway around this does anyone know? I did the same with fallen order.

Last edited:
Well I installed my 256GB ssd drive in my new (got yesterday) base 64 model today. Physically it went ok but re-imaging Steam OS onto it was a total nightmare, has taken me hours!

Endless loops and updates and having to turn it off via the power button several times as it just wasn't doing anything.
Finally got it to work and then none of the buttons, joysticks or track pads would register - had to do several reset boots (holding power button down 10 seconds) and then it went into some automatic update, which then said rebooting into Steam several times but just hung, and I had to manually turn off and on again several times!

Finally worked, and all seems fine now after testing and the new SSD seems fine. I have to say, if this is what Steam OS is like I can't get Windows onto this thing quick enough!

Last edited:
Well I installed my 256GB ssd drive in my new (got yesterday) base 64 model today. Physically it went ok but re-imaging Steam OS onto it was a total nightmare, has taken me hours!

Endless loops and updates and having to turn it off via the power button several times as it just wasn't doing anything.
Finally got it to work and then none of the buttons, joysticks or track pads would register - had to do several reset boots (holding power button down 10 seconds) and then it went into some automatic update, which then said rebooting into Steam several times but just hung, and I had to manually turn off and on again several times!

Finally worked, and all seems fine now after testing and the new SSD seems fine. I have to say, if this is what Steam OS is like I can't get Windows onto this thing quick enough!

This is why I went for the 512gb version. Just want it to work without having to take it apart, upgrade, and reinstall everything!

I can confirm the fix I posted above for Fallen Order works, with a bit of extra work (I had to paste some commands into the console to get the utility to work).
However it's a very poor experience anyway as the game takes ages to load with the new launcher, and it's a faff to enter the login details unless you have a mouse and keyboard.

Down with this sort of thing!

I had a few little issues but nothing as bad as you, glad i've got the 1tb in now though and was worth the hassle, still debating if I should install windows or not, I probably will at some point

^ Yep, after a bit more experimentation tonight I'm definitely just installing windows. Don't think I'm going to bother even dual booting, just do a full on Win 11 install and then the tweaks now out and use Playnite for everything like I do for gaming on my PC.

Actually, still persisting with Steam OS for testing and have discovered the built in global FSR setting. This is gold and makes Days Gone (my first real tested game that's demanding) run at 40hz, 40fps really nicely (running with FSR and then setting to 540p in the in game menu, fullscreen) I know Windows has a 40hz hack but could you also add FSR as well for games that don't support it built in? And could it be added easily?

Last edited:
Got to say, with the latest driver improvement and the new big screen mode for Windows steam client that matches the steam deck ui its getting very tempting to switch over to Windows for the deck.

I've had no issue with steam os, and actually quite like it, but seems like best of both worlds is not far off at the moment

Last edited:
^ Yep, after a bit more experimentation tonight I'm definitely just installing windows. Don't think I'm going to bother even dual booting, just do a full on Win 11 install and then the tweaks now out and use Playnite for everything like I do for gaming on my PC.
Interesting…

I‘ll have my hands on the Deck later today, so I am interested in how it all functions, for instance, if I install Windows and have a steamapps folder, if I switch back to SteamOS, will it be able to read the games I have on Windows, or will I have to install the game on SteamOS to do a performance comparison?

Also, I read all about Proton etc, where are people getting this information? Here and reddit just mention it, but nothing really explains what it is or what you should get it?

Interesting…

I‘ll have my hands on the Deck later today, so I am interested in how it all functions, for instance, if I install Windows and have a steamapps folder, if I switch back to SteamOS, will it be able to read the games I have on Windows, or will I have to install the game on SteamOS to do a performance comparison?

Also, I read all about Proton etc, where are people getting this information? Here and reddit just mention it, but nothing really explains what it is or what you should get it?
'Proton is the compatibility layer that allows Windows games to run on Linux by using a modified version of Wine and a collection of high-performance graphics API implementations.'

from here: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/steamdeck/proton

Steam uses it automatically for games without native linux support, if you add a non steam game you will need to tell steam to use proton in the properties. Some tweaking of proton may be required for certain games, more info here https://www.protondb.com/

'Proton is the compatibility layer that allows Windows games to run on Linux by using a modified version of Wine and a collection of high-performance graphics API implementations.'

from here: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/steamdeck/proton

Steam uses it automatically for games without native linux support, if you add a non steam game you will need to tell steam to use proton in the properties. Some tweaking of proton may be required for certain games, more info here https://www.protondb.com/
Nice, much appreciated :D

^ No input lag via Xcloud? I've heard very mixed reports but not tried it yet myself. Can't stand latency with streaming games so don't have a lot of hope.

I've still not installed Windows. I'm stubbornly trying to make everything work as I want it to via Steam OS. Linux is mentally ill by the way....

Last edited:
A few choices for a cover for it, always hard to know the best one to get when a few are the same price on Amazon, any real world use in here able to give an opinion ?

^ No input lag via Xcloud? I've heard very mixed reports but not tried it yet myself. Can't stand latency with streaming games so don't have a lot of hope.

I've still not installed Windows. I'm stubbornly trying to make everything work as I want it to via Steam OS. Linux is mentally ill by the way....
Barely any. I've been playing games then I forget that I'm playing xcloud and go to change video settings and then remember it's not natively playing on the deck lol.

I thought that first but Windows all the way for me. No issues since I've been running it. Steam OS is liable to make you mentally ill. :cry:

@Mike, I'm still on the lookout for one too.

Back
Top Bottom