*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

So I've gotten Windows 11 running from a 512gb SD card to test it out (idea is that I may well upgrade the SSD in the Deck to 1TB and dual boot when Valve releases an official method to do it with SteamOS 3). I'm quite impressed with how well it works, Gamepass titles working quite well.

The only thing that really bugs me is the fan noise, I'm guessing there's no real workaround for that until Valve release the updated fan control for Windows as they have done with SteamOS? (if that ever happens). I've done the Powercfg tweak to allow low idle, but it very rarely ever goes silent even with not a lot going on.

So I've gotten Windows 11 running from a 512gb SD card to test it out (idea is that I may well upgrade the SSD in the Deck to 1TB and dual boot when Valve releases an official method to do it with SteamOS 3). I'm quite impressed with how well it works, Gamepass titles working quite well.

The only thing that really bugs me is the fan noise, I'm guessing there's no real workaround for that until Valve release the updated fan control for Windows as they have done with SteamOS? (if that ever happens). I've done the Powercfg tweak to allow low idle, but it very rarely ever goes silent even with not a lot going on.
I wouldn't keep it running from that SD card. It'll kill it. Better off installing it to the internal drive.
Nothing can be done about the fans apart from the powercfg at the moment. Mine don't spin up when idle though and I think I have a newer revision as the fans aren't loud at all? Plus I wear headphone most of the time.

Seeing I booted into Windows a fair bit I decided to move the install onto the SSD. Kinda regret only going for the 256gb model now, and 1tb SSDs are still very expensive. Used GParted to free up 80gb for the Windows install (enough for game launchers and potential large updates) and reformatted my SD card into two partitions, one for Windows and the other for SteamOS. I know I could've just formatted the entire thing with btrfs but I didn't really plan to share any data between the two OSes.

Definitely runs much better compared to the SD card, I guess the small hiccups I had was due to the SD card bottlenecking Windows.

Last edited:
Finally got my hands on the deck on Sunday and I've been playing around with it :D

First impressions, feels good in the hand, don't think I'll need an add-on grip, but I haven't played for more than 10 minutes, will try and have a longer session to see if my hands ache after a while.

Battery life seems woeful at the moment, but is perfectly fine for me, as the three areas where I'll play, (sofa/desk/bed) have outlets so I'm plugged in most of the time.

Games are running really well from what I have tested, No Mans Sky seems to be the only one that displays significant frame drops, everything else GTA 4 & 5, Assetto Corsa Competitione, Sleeping Dogs, Elite Dangerous and Final Fantasy 13 play really well.

Using a fast micro SD card is a must, I tried running a 256gb U3 class card I had lying around and downloads would stop and cause the deck to bug out, a U1 class card fixed all that.

No downloading in sleep mode sucks, especially when coming from PS5, Series X and Switch.

Fans seem to kick in randomly.

Only game that does not work is Assetto Corsa, I might have to install Windows at some point, as I would love to play it with Content Manager and mods.

Overall I'm very impressed, just wish NMS performed better.

Really close to pulling the trigger on one of these. How much difference does the anti-glare glass make on the 512gb model? I will probably never use this outside but I've heard it makes the colors look a bit more vivid than on the other 2 models. Has anyone used a 512 and one of the non anti-glare models if so what's your thoughts?

Really close to pulling the trigger on one of these. How much difference does the anti-glare glass make on the 512gb model? I will probably never use this outside but I've heard it makes the colors look a bit more vivid than on the other 2 models. Has anyone used a 512 and one of the non anti-glare models if so what's your thoughts?
I've compared my 512gb version with a colleagues 256gb version and the anti-glare screen is a noticeable improvement, and is way less reflective. My colleague also said it was better. However it's not necessarily the best value, as you can use an anti-glare screen protector on the other models. (Though that could affect touch screen sensitivity).

It's not really possible to put a screen protector on the anti-glare screen without making it more reflective, or making the image a bit too soft.

It really depends on if you're willing to spend the extra. I bought the 512gb version as I didn't want to open a brand new device and risk breaking it to upgrade it and I wanted the better screen.

I've compared my 512gb version with a colleagues 256gb version and the anti-glare screen is a noticeable improvement, and is way less reflective. My colleague also said it was better. However it's not necessarily the best value, as you can use an anti-glare screen protector on the other models. (Though that could affect touch screen sensitivity).

It's not really possible to put a screen protector on the anti-glare screen without making it more reflective, or making the image a bit too soft.

It really depends on if you're willing to spend the extra. I bought the 512gb version as I didn't want to open a brand new device and risk breaking it to upgrade it and I wanted the better screen.
Excellent, I appreciate the info.

I'm so tempted to get one of these since they are available now. Is the 64GB one fine?

And can you buy windows 11 for it? Or is windows 11 free?
I have the 64 gig model, it is great. Also, if you feel brave you can open it up and fit a faster SSD with greater capacity.

The things you lose out on.

Anti-glare screen for 512 Gig model.
Fancier carrying case for above model.

However, I think Valve sells the 64 gig at cost or at a small loss. So, bargain!

I bought a fast SD card for £22.00 with 256 gig of storage. Can store plenty of games on it.

Last edited:
I also have the 64gb, I just ordered a internal ssd for it though. I bought a 256gb micro SD but its jut not enough as most games are huge these days, so ordered another 512gb to hotswap when I need.

I went the 64GB route too. Installed a 256GB SSD myself (some still there on the rainy forest, cheap!!) and managed to bag a used 1TB SD card for a decent price too. If you are in any way competent in opening up a device and whacking stuff in, the base model is the best value by a mile. The etched glass screen of the 512 model was the only thing that gave me pause, but I just don't think it's worth it personally.

Have to say I'm loving the deck. As predicted though I'm spending most of my time fannying around on it, tweaking and learning rather than gaming. I'm becoming addicted to watching youtube channels about the deck too. Sad.
Contradicting my own earlier posts, but I haven't actually installed Windows on it yet :p. I'm giving Steam OS a shot and in a masochistic way I'm almost enjoying learning a bit of Linux nonsense, and all the Lutris stuff etc etc.

Last edited:
I ended up going for the 256GB route so i'm an idiot. Will get an SD card for it in a bit but tried to justify it to myself by thinking i'd need to buy an SD card immediately anyway.

Only reason i really want windows is for PC Game pass etc on it

I went the 64GB route too. Installed a 256GB SSD myself (some still there on the rainy forest, cheap!!) and managed to bag a used 1TB SD card for a decent price too. If you are in any way competent in opening up a device and whacking stuff in, the base model is the best value by a mile. The etched glass screen of the 512 model was the only thing that gave me pause, but I just don't think it's worth it personally.

Have to say I'm loving the deck. As predicted though I'm spending most of my time fannying around on it, tweaking and learning rather than gaming. I'm becoming addicted to watching youtube channels about the deck too. Sad.
Contradicting my own earlier posts, but I haven't actually installed Windows on it yet :p. I'm giving Steam OS a shot and in a masochistic way I'm almost enjoying learning a bit of Linux nonsense, and all the Lutris stuff etc etc.

Which one did you go for? I was having a read and some people are concerned about the extra power draw on certain models.

My deck went in for an RMA and I've just been sent a brand new sealed one as a replacement so I now have a spare charger, woo!

17/10 - Contacted support
18/10 - auto response
19/10 - Return label received & booked in
20/10 - Posted back
01/11 - Message saying "We're not able to complete your repair due to delays or other factors"
03/11 - Received the new unit

I did lose a screen protector though, I think it's a fair swap...

Last edited:
Which one did you go for? I was having a read and some people are concerned about the extra power draw on certain models.

The SSD? I think there were worries but I've not seen anything concrete about it reducing battery life or any other negative outcome. I've got a PM991 which is 3.3V @ 1.6A which I think is a bit higher than the stock drives
(3.3V @ 1A?) and it seems totally fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom