*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Note that the speed between internal SSD and Micro SD card is VERY VERY minimal in benchmarking and indistinguishable in use.

I got the 256G, just so it's NVME, and then put in 1TD micro SD. But the 64G internal one apparently (someone correct me if i am wrong) doesn't use the same SSD card slot, which is still free to add your own SSD in, so you can have 2 x SSD inside if you went for the 64G.

I also put on a screen protector too.i did not know that you could put 2 ssd’s inside . That sort of narrows it down for me and makes sense to get the 64gb version

Caporegime
You should double check some tear down videos, but I think the 64G version uses a different slot with another SSD slot for the nvme free.

And you can't do it the other way round, I think the 64G SSD is hard soldered on, whereas the 256G and 512G one is a removable SSD.

I didn't know about this when i Pre-ordered last year though so went for the middle option.

Last edited:
Associate
You should double check some tear down videos, but I think the 64G version uses a different slot with another SSD slot for the nvme free.

And you can't do it the other way round, I think the 64G SSD is hard soldered on, whereas the 256G and 512G one is a removable SSD.

I didn't know about this when i Pre-ordered last year though so went for the middle option.
Thanks for the advise i will check some tear down videos .

Soldato
Not sure where you folks are getting this weird and wrong info from - The 64GB Steam Deck version uses the standard SSD slot, of which there is only one. Its 64GB eMMC drive is basically the same size, shape and fit as a 2230 SSD drive, is removable, and is not soldered on!

I got the 64GB Steam Deck and put in a 256GB SSD drive (only £24!) and a 1TB SD card. It's the smart move if you're looking to save some money. And I see no significant difference at all running games from an SD card vs the internal SSD drive.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not sure where you folks are getting this weird and wrong info from - The 64GB Steam Deck version does use the same SSD slot. Its 64GB eMMC drive is the same size shape and fit as a 2230 SSD drive and is not soldered on!
I got the 64GB Steam Deck and put in a 256GB SSD drive and a 1TB SD card. It's the smart move if you're looking to same some money and I see no significant difference at all running games from an SD card vs the internal SSD drive.
I swear i saw it on a video....

Found it! 4mins in.

But then in the comments he corrected himself lol

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah I just watched a YouTube tear down and it seems that the upgrde is a simple one but a lot of reviews state that putting a screen protector reduces the sensitivity of the touch screen

Yes it does. Not sure why though as I put screen protectors on everything from my camera, my phone, my Nintendo Switch, even put it on an iPad once. It didn't and doesn't affect any of them.

But on the Deck it does, noticeable too. It is still useable but it does have a negative effect on sensitivity.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone tried playing Dishonored from epic via Heroic?

My saves keep dissappearing after a shutdown, never had issues with any other games via Heroic.

I've not toyed with any other launchers etc, it sounds like it all comes with an extra layer of hassle/potential issues.

Dishonored for steam is really cheap on cd keys at the mo, definitely worth it for a more straight forward way of accessing /playing £1.79 at time of writing
https://www.cdkeys.com/dishonored-d...tm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=RedBrain+Ltd

Last edited:
Associate
I actually fixed it today, had to change the wine path for some reason, not sure why but it must have been saving to a temporary directory

Soldato
I actually fixed it today, had to change the wine path for some reason, not sure why but it must have been saving to a temporary directory
Cool no probs :)

I should give all that stuff a go soon, I don't have a vast epic library though so haven't felt the need just yet. Dishonored is a hell of a game. I was playing 2 on deck nearer when I got mine, but the first game is superior imo

Caporegime
This hurts: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeckGore/comments/x2r7lp/psa_dont_drop_your_deck_on_the_highway/

My Deck doesn't leave the house, it's too precious for any nasties that the outside world can bring. :cry:

I am thinking of taking it to Japan, 15hr flight! Now that I have a screen protector on, I am much more relax about worrying getting it scratched. I don't really care scratching other parts and although you can replace the screen yourself, it's much easier to replace a screen protector or now, scratch a glass screen protector. The only concern really is protecting the sticks during transport in the bag if i don't use the official case, which is a bulky.

Back
Top Bottom