*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Just in the process of installing windows 11, hoping its going to make things a bit easier, steam, ea games, rockstar launcher, epic launcher etc etc was becoming a bit of a faff, had a mess around with emulation station last night on desktop and whilst not exactly as simple as emudeck wasnt too hard to setup

i installed the drivers in order that are on steams site, but I seem to have an awful lot of unknown devices still
That's normal. You can actually run the AMD chipset driver to remove one of the unknowns (can't remember which one it was exactly) but it's normal for 4/5 to be missing a driver.

Soldato
Buying one of these soon, I like the idea of the anti glare etched glass of the 512gb but the cost difference over the 64GB plus an SD card/fit my own SSD is stonking.

Any users which have used both the anti glare etched glass but also one with an anti glare screen protector? I hate glare, don't want to see my ugly mug when playing :p

My main concerns of buying an anti glare protector, is the potential for reduced quality in colours/blur etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Buying one of these soon, I like the idea of the anti glare etched glass of the 512gb but the cost difference over the 64GB plus an SD card/fit my own SSD is stonking.

Any users which have used both the anti glare etched glass but also one with an anti glare screen protector? I hate glare, don't want to see my ugly mug when playing :p

My main concerns of buying an anti glare protector, is the potential for reduced quality in colours/blur etc.
Used both. If you don't like reflection you won't like the 256. The 512 has virtually none. Just bear in mind a protector will affect touch to a degree.

The shell and screen are replaceable, so I use my 512 with a naked screen and a body case, and don't worry too much.

Last edited:
Soldato

Decided on one of these instead of a PC then? :D

Soldato
Can't remember where I saw it, but there was a command/way to automatically find and add non-steam games (origin, heroric etc) and it setup STEAM_COMPACT_DATA_PATH for you.

I did it for Sim City, it has a target of "/home/deck/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/3826654869/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Origin/Origin.exe" but it's extra params then created:
STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH="/home/deck/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/3826654869" %command% "origin2://game/launch?offerIds=OFB-EAST%3a109547456&autoDownload=1&authCode=&cmdParams="

Can't for the life of me remember what I used. Any ideas?

EDIT: Found it: BoilR <3

Last edited:
Associate
So I bought a steam deck today which I will upgrade with the 1tb drive I have and looking at expanding the storage further with an SD card .
Does the SD card need to be a certain speed or certified to work with the steam deck or will any card work .

Soldato
Class A2 cards seem to be the recommended option. I'm using a Lexar Play 1TB and it's been fine so far. Write speeds aren't brilliant which is a bit of a bummer when transferring things from my PC, but actual gaming performance from it has been flawless.

Associate
Official dock came yesterday, absolute game changer I love it.

The Mrs was complaining about battery charge after an hour of Dreamlight Valley, at least she can now charge it herself while continuing on the big screen.

Biggest risk is losing my Deck to the rest of the family now it’s accessible and synced with an Xbox controller.

Associate
Has anyone used a powerbank to keep their SteamDeck going? Any recommendations?
I got a VEEKTOMX 65w 2000mAh powerbank from the rainforest. It does the job so far and is relatively cheap (on offer at moment for £35). Charges it fully once with a little bit to spare for maybe doing a phone or a switch or something

Associate
I got a VEEKTOMX 65w 2000mAh powerbank from the rainforest. It does the job so far and is relatively cheap (on offer at moment for £35). Charges it fully once with a little bit to spare for maybe doing a phone or a switch or something
I also have this one (actually bought to prop up a laptop). Works really well, I get a good three hours of power before it starts to eat into the deck's battery.

Soldato
On the subject of powerbanks, does anyone use the Deckmate to attach the powerbank to the back of the deck?

How do you find the weight of it? specifically the balance? As I know fitting back buttons to my PS controller, altered the balance so it doesn't sit in your hand quite right anymore and I imagine that it could be significantly worse with the weight a powerbank. Also, if anyone knows, with the Deckmate frame clipped on the deck, does it still fit in the standard case?

Soldato
Heads up for those looking for powerbanks, make sure it supports USB-PD, ideally with PPS, otherwise the Deck will complain about slow charging. It's fine with my RavPower 15W USB-PD non-PPS, although fast enough to not have the slow charging prompt, on heavy games it still drains, but at a much slower rate.

Picked up the Soundcore VR P10 earbuds since I got a bit fed up with wires, and with my XM3s especially with fast paced games I notice the delay. Pretty pleased with them, the dongle fits perfectly on the top of the deck and passthrough charging works too (although it seems to limit speeds, but not slow enough for the Deck to complain). There is a bit of a quality difference but it's to be expected with these low latency buds.

Back
Top Bottom