*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Ordered 17th, delivered today, happy with that. Now to get it up and running and install a few games..
Incredibly jealous I ordered on the 16th and it’s been radio silence since mine left gls.

Did your Parcelforce tracking update at all or did it just turn up?

Associate
Has anyone bought a JSAUX backplate recently? Was curious if they fixed the issue with the slight gap on the top near the charger port. If not, any idea how thick the thermal pad is? The new colour options looks really tempting but the slight gap would bother me a little too much, so planning to either swap it with a thinner pad or just completely remove it.

No gaps anywhere around mine, it fits just as well as the original one once all the screws are in. I love it always use to love transparent shells and gutted companies no longer do them as an option.

The metal on the backplate does get very warm at around 50c but if doesn’t bother me whatsoever, handy in the winter if my hands get cold though :D. It definitely helps smooth out the fan ramping up and down in extremely demanding games as the plate takes a while to heat up, in some games I could hit 85c for a moment before the fan would really ramp to the 6000rpm+ range and cool things back down before it then ramps up again.

The temps with just a backplate swap the temps usually maxed out at 78c to 80c but it’s doing it with a lower fan rpm so I now have a much quieter deck. Opened it up again and changed out the paste as I thought I may as well, used some PK3 paste which seems to be fine and shouldn’t dry out under lots of heat hopefully.

The only issue which a few have had is with the back buttons, seems on one side the manufacturing tolerance is extremely tight so once the plate is snapped into place and screwed in the buttons on one side are permanently pressed in so they won’t work, extremely simple fix is on the plastic buttons they give you, you just need gently sand the long stand off that touches the switch on the deck, only needs about the thickness of a piece of paper or two removing so that when it’s back together the stand off is resting on the actual switch on the board sand not constantly pressing it. Annoying issue that hopefully they fix but once done the buttons work flawlessly, and I’m using the raised ones which feel so much nicer than the stock ones.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the downside of the lowest spec version apart from storage space

I'm thinking of getting 2 1 for me and the wife?
the 512gb one has an anti glare filter on the screen (some like it, some dont).
aside from storage capacity, the larger you go the faster the storage (dont think there is much in it in a practical sense).

other than that the 512gb gets a slightly different carry case and some unique digital cosmetic pap.

all 3 consiles are essentially the same.

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Whats it like when you plug it into the TV and use a controller, Or would i be better off just getting a gaming laptop ?

Associate
the 512gb one has an anti glare filter on the screen (some like it, some dont).
aside from storage capacity, the larger you go the faster the storage (dont think there is much in it in a practical sense).

other than that the 512gb gets a slightly different carry case and some unique digital cosmetic pap.

all 3 consiles are essentially the same.

Cheers cheaper option for us then

Soldato
This is a good question if anyone can share their experiences as I am in this position re Deck or Laptop etc?

So I've found it not to be too bad in the sense plugging it in via the usb c adaptor I have works and having a pad connected to it gets the job done. The performance is good on the deck and going into desktop mode to do things is also good for what it is.

However it's not as good as having the laptop when that is an option for some games, for example playing civ on the Mac is just better than the deck unless I'm traveling then the deck is a lot more convenient. My personal docking experience isn't as good as using the switch in this mode either, which is in part because I don't have a deck dock and the switch is really well designed for that use case.

Basically it's quite a situational device, I don't use it too often in the same way as a docked switch because I prefer the switch/laptop for that function, but it's completely taken over using the laptop for pc games on the move or in places where a proper place for the laptop exists

Last edited:
Soldato
Got a dispatch notice for my 64gig deck, have a 2TB SSD coming tomorrow too - undecided on windows dual boot as I have so much to already play that's supported + PS5 Remotely and Xbox Local xCloud

Associate
Played about with it a fair bit today. Installed a few emulators, played dead rising 3, mad max and civ5. Everything ran great with zero issues, all were installed on my samsung 512gig sd card. Fantastic bit of kit.

Got this dock arrivng today, on promo with 50% off.
Seems like a good deal. Had a chance to try it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom