*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Don
Wifi drops out fairly regularly too

Edit, it cant find my wifi at all now

One of the first recommendations on the Deck is to disable wifi power management:

I had similar issues, it would drop and reconnect all the time until I disabled power management (even sat right next to my wifi AP).

Associate
One of the first recommendations on the Deck is to disable wifi power management:

I had similar issues, it would drop and reconnect all the time until I disabled power management (even sat right next to my wifi AP).
Ive tried that, unsure at this stage if it has improved it, i havent seen the exclamation mark near the wifi symbol since, but the connection still seems dreadful.

I was downloading a game last night, the download speeds were all over the place. in the end it went down to zero, while still "connected" and it just sat there doing nothing. i eventually switched it off in frustration and went to bed.

I use a Virginmedia hub thing, the previous version of which caused issues with some old amazon tablets the kids had. the new version seems ok, but i would no doubt benefit of using it in modem only mode and getting a better wifi router. i'll be annoyed if i shell out for a new router and its still the same though.

EDIT, so now its on the office wifi, it carried on downloading the game it was doing yesterday, although its lost 5 gigs of it somehow and its now back at 50 something percent when it was 90 something yesterday. It started out strong, sat at a consistent 2.8 MB/s... then i looked at it again and its sat there a 0 B/s and has done since. There was a few seconds of activity again, and now its back at 0.

Its writing to an SD card, so i guess it could be that... i used the card in my old phone with no issues though. i could try downloading to the internal storage and see if that is any better. Its done absolutely nothing for the last ten minutes.

Last edited:
Soldato
So if i press the power button, the screen goes off, but i cant seem to get it back on again. Ive tried pressing the button again, nothing. If i press and hold, i get the power menu. The steam button and the other button brings up the menus as it should, but the background stays black. Volume keys work etc.... am i missing something? How is this supposed to work?

This doesnt seem right at all. The only way to get the screen back is to go into desktop mode, then click the icon to go into game mode.
Does that happen even if you're in desktop mode? Are you on the latest version of SteamOS?

Associate
Does that happen even if you're in desktop mode? Are you on the latest version of SteamOS?
I havent tried it... i did wonder if it was due to it being downloading a game, but it STILL hasnt downloaded the game because the wifi is hopeless. I'll cancel it, if i can figure out how, and do some more tests. apparently there were no updates when i checked it.

This might have to go back if it keeps this up, i dont need any more frustration in my life.

Cancelling the download does nothing.. a cancel button that doesnt cancel... it is a PC after all

Last edited:
Associate
Since Cancel didnt work i went back to library, and clicked uninstall...

Ive had "uninstall" and a rotating steam logo now for at least 10 mins. I'll give it another 5 then i'll force a shutdown.

Associate
uninstall didnt seem to do anything. i didnt get the option screen up when holding power, but it switched off, of sorts, and went on again. I set a download limit, and switched off the option to throttle downloads while streaming (whatever that is) and its now downloading properly. not sure which fixed it, but i'll see how i get on

Associate
ok, since the download has finished, it seems to be behaving itself again.

Has anyone got street fighter 4 working? its listed as not working, but there are youtube videos showing it working. Ive tried various proton versions and tried changing the screen resolution in the settings, but in every case it doesnt boot and goes back to the game selection screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Don

Has anyone got street fighter 4 working? its listed as not working, but there are youtube videos showing it working. Ive tried various proton versions and tried changing the screen resolution in the settings, but in every case it doesnt boot and goes back to the game selection screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks

You say you've used different versions of Proton, do you mean Proton or Proton GE? From what I can read online, it needs Proton GE not normal Proton.

Associate
You say you've used different versions of Proton, do you mean Proton or Proton GE? From what I can read online, it needs Proton GE not normal Proton.
ahhhh, ok, i hadnt realised that was a different thing... i'll investigate. Thanks

Edit, installed Proton GE, selected it in game properties, still no luck

Last edited:
Soldato

Any ideas?

Thanks

I just tried it and it worked for me without having to do any tinkering, just installed and run.
Edit: the movies/cutscenes didnt play at stock settings so some tinkering is required at least. ProtonGE gets them playing for me but without sound so might need a specific version...

Last edited:
Soldato

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ultra street fighter 4 working when I last played it about 3 weeks ago.

Soldato
I've got mine and been messing about for a few days now - I've just installed greenlight/xbox cloud play thing and streaming games directly from the xbox in the house is amazing - can see this getting a fair bit of use as the latency is next to non existent compared to xcloud! Going to get the PS5 version set up as well.

Haven't done the 2TB SSD install yet, waiting for a usb c pen drive as going via the dock is causing some issues so want to make sure I can install the recovery image before opening it up!

Soldato

Any ideas?

Thanks

If you ever need to check for the best settings in game and in steam performance, just google 'protondb' and the game name. It's for Linux in general but you'll look for posts from users with the the steam deck logo next to their name. It's been a fantastic resource!!

Here's the one for Street Fighter IV.

Underboss
How does it handle "offline" mode? Got a fair amount of travel coning up and in some places won't have WiFi.

Does it need a fast connection to play pre-installed games? I'm talking more SP games than anything MP or FPS related.

Sure having a good SP game will help pass the hours of flight boredom.

Back
Top Bottom