*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
How does it handle "offline" mode? Got a fair amount of travel coning up and in some places won't have WiFi.

Does it need a fast connection to play pre-installed games? I'm talking more SP games than anything MP or FPS related.

Sure having a good SP game will help pass the hours of flight boredom.

No connection necessary mate. Its a mini pc, anythign installed will play as long as the game itself doesn't require always on drm for example.
You might want to invest in a battery bank if your flights are long haul.

Last edited:
Associate
If you ever need to check for the best settings in game and in steam performance, just google 'protondb' and the game name. It's for Linux in general but you'll look for posts from users with the the steam deck logo next to their name. It's been a fantastic resource!!

Here's the one for Street Fighter IV.

Thanks, yeah i saw that and loads of people were saying it works (with various audio issues) but i had nothing, which was strange. It seems to be working now though.

Soldato
Got my Playstation remote play working over the net. Just a few ports to forward thats all.

So if you haven't follow the instructions to install chiaki4deck, plenty of sites that will show you how.
Once you have it installed and all set up to find your PS5 locally, first thing to do is..

Configure your controller settings to gamepad with mouse. Change the left trackpad to singke button and esc key, the right hand trackpad to mouse/right click.
Make sure you can connect locally.
Once done, come out of the remote session, left track pad click and leave the ps5 on rest mode.

Back into the main chiaka screen, click on the + top right, fill in your ip address and choose your PS5 from the drop down menu.
Some ports to be forwarded are

Screenshot-2023-03-30-at-11-11-59-Uni-Fi-Network.png

Port 9302 is UDP, 9295 Both, 9296 and 9297 both are UDP.

Open up your fully remote play, by right clicking on the new PS5 and send it a wake up packet, once that is done you can enter the remote play as normal.

Last edited:
Soldato
How does it handle "offline" mode? Got a fair amount of travel coning up and in some places won't have WiFi.

Does it need a fast connection to play pre-installed games? I'm talking more SP games than anything MP or FPS related.

Sure having a good SP game will help pass the hours of flight boredom.
Worked completely fine on a 12/13 hour flight in offline mode. Had to use my USB-PD powerbank though as the airline's USB ports didn't supply enough power.

Associate
Worked completely fine on a 12/13 hour flight in offline mode. Had to use my USB-PD powerbank though as the airline's USB ports didn't supply enough power.
Which powerbank do you use ? i have an old Anker one that i used for my switch but its not powerful enought to charge the deck

Associate
The RainForest is currently doing this one for £18 (after collecting the 55% off voucher) Couple of reviews from Steam deck owners on there.

INIU Power Bank, 45W Fast Charging Portable Charger, 15000mAh Battery Pack [USB C Input & Output] PD QC​

Soldato
Which powerbank do you use ? i have an old Anker one that i used for my switch but its not powerful enought to charge the deck
Mine is an old 20000 RavPower that only does up to 15W but it was enough since I wasn't playing anything too demanding.

Just make sure the powerbank has USB-PD out, standard USB ports only supply up to 10W max which is too slow and other fast charging tech like QuickCharge is incompatible.

Soldato
I'm having trouble with my deck, I'm moving files around in desktop mode and the "explorer" keeps freezing. The mouse keeps moving but the files I'm looking at will freeze and I can't close or open anything or use the Start menu. The clock isnt frozen tho.

I need to restart the deck and launch back into desktop mode which is getting annoying

Soldato
I'm having trouble with my deck, I'm moving files around in desktop mode and the "explorer" keeps freezing. The mouse keeps moving but the files I'm looking at will freeze and I can't close or open anything or use the Start menu. The clock isnt frozen tho.

I need to restart the deck and launch back into desktop mode which is getting annoying
Do you mean in dolphin ? (KDE's version of win Explorer )
What files? The root partition is read only IIRC so only the home folder will you be able to move stuff about.

Associate
Just going back to that INIU power bank thing I mentioned earlier. Took delivery today. Had 87% charge fresh out of the box (always a good sign)

Charged it to 100% then plugged it into the Steam Deck with 50% battery remaining (sleep mode)

Colour me impressed. It raised it to 99% within an hour and still had 70% remaining.

Not bad for £18.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just installed the Jsaux clear back plate (in blue). Pretty nice to see the internals, but not impressed with the mould. It slightly sticks out near the right trigger and feels sharp. Shouldn't be a problem in normal usage, but probably going to drop them a mail to see if they can replace.

Soldato
No connection necessary mate. Its a mini pc, anythign installed will play as long as the game itself doesn't require always on drm for example.
You might want to invest in a battery bank if your flights are long haul.
Not quite as simple as that.

Some games will require you to have at least been online for the first time launch, so it's best practice to start up all games at least once before you go offline.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just installed the Jsaux clear back plate (in blue). Pretty nice to see the internals, but not impressed with the mould. It slightly sticks out near the right trigger and feels sharp. Shouldn't be a problem in normal usage, but probably going to drop them a mail to see if they can replace.
Installed the red version over the weekend too, and I'm also noticing some bits sticks out. Right side is completely fine, left side is the lower edge. Personally it doesn't bother me too much and I'm hoping it will wear in over time.

Replaced the stock thermal pad with a 1.5mm thick one and there's no gap on the top now. But wow does the metal plate get hot, especially when I'm in dock mode.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been playing Hogwarts for a couple of hours so far and I am quite impressed by how well the Deck manages it. There are some scenes which cause FPS drops and there is stutter when traversing between load zones (opening doors) but for the most part it is running fine. I need to do more tweaking with the settings but its been a pleasant surprise so far. :)

Soldato

Looks like it wasn't an April fools joke!

Would deffo consider upgrading to this if it's the right price and performance is there

I did see the ETA Prime video on that but working on the assumption that it is real it could be very interesting as I already have a 3080 based XG mobile to act as the dock. No doubt it will eye wateringly pricey going on Asus products in general. One can hope it is sensible priced though. :)

Associate
I did see the ETA Prime video on that but working on the assumption that it is real it could be very interesting as I already have a 3080 based XG mobile to act as the dock. No doubt it will eye wateringly pricey going on Asus products in general. One can hope it is sensible priced though. :)
If it's not in the £500 - £650 range, it won't take off like the deck.

Back
Top Bottom