*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Has anyone done an RMA for their deck? My screen is acting funny when in desktop mode and they've accepted it to be sent to them. Just thinking how long im gonna deckless.

They're ok with me replacing the SSD right?
I'd like to know this too as I've just had an RMA be accepted for the left stick grinding against the chassis. Haven't sent it off yet.

Soldato
I'd like to know this too as I've just had an RMA be accepted for the left stick grinding against the chassis. Haven't sent it off yet.

I had the grinding issue. Used a tiny amount of silicone lubricant on the stem which smoothed it out and eventually it's all worn smooth again. No need to RMA.

Soldato
Do you have more details? Don't want to mess it up while giving it a try.

Did it require disassembly?

Doesn't mess anything up or require disassembly. Just get some silicone lubricant and put a tiny bit on something small and thin - I used a cotton bud with the cotton removed, and smear it on the stick stem. Then roll the stick around the socket to spread it. It'll make it feel smoother and over time the socket will wear smooth with use.

You can tell the stick has been rubbing on the socket as there will be a black streak on the stem. Mine has disappeared now after a few months of use. I only had to put the lubricant on once.

Just use a tiny amount. No need to use anything more than a tiny blob.

Last edited:
Reactions: B&W
Soldato
Doesn't mess anything up or require disassembly. Just get some silicone lubricant and put a tiny bit on something small and thin - I used a cotton bud with the cotton removed, and smear it on the stick stem. Then roll the stick around the socket to spread it. It'll make it feel smoother and over time the socket will wear smooth with use.

You can tell the stick has been rubbing on the socket as there will be a black streak on the stem. Mine has disappeared now after a few months of use. I only had to put the lubricant on once.

Just use a tiny amount. No need to use anything more than a tiny blob.

Thanks for that. Really annoying it's happened but it's the only thing wrong with my deck, be a pain to RMA it.

I only really notice in fast running games like Ghostrunner

Soldato
Thanks for that. Really annoying it's happened but it's the only thing wrong with my deck, be a pain to RMA it.

I only really notice in fast running games like Ghostrunner

Yep it really annoyed me, especially in games where you're moving with the stick pushed up all the time. Not an issue for me now. Hope that helps you sort it.

Soldato
One thing I am NOT impressed with, is how even when I shutdown the deck and leave it for a week... I come back and it's dead.

(Using the shutdown option, not just pressing the button).

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there any noticeable speed difference between gen 3 and gen 4 SSDs on the deck?

None that would be noticeable to anyone using them (that is to say a benchmarking tool might be able to show a technical difference but not something that would ever make a difference in game). From memory its a Gen 3x4 PCI-e slot anyway due to the CPU limitations (Zen 2/3 CPU's were limited to Gen 3 PCI-e until the 6xxx series).

Soldato
None that would be noticeable to anyone using them (that is to say a benchmarking tool might be able to show a technical difference but not something that would ever make a difference in game). From memory its a Gen 3x4 PCI-e slot anyway due to the CPU limitations (Zen 2/3 CPU's were limited to Gen 3 PCI-e until the 6xxx series).
Only noticeable difference would be transfering files then?

Soldato
One thing I am NOT impressed with, is how even when I shutdown the deck and leave it for a week... I come back and it's dead.

(Using the shutdown option, not just pressing the button).

Hmmm, That doesn't sound right. Switched mine on for first time in about 2 weeks the other day from a full shutdown and it was at 85% battery (from fullish charge before shutdown).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom