*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
I bought the official hub and it comes with an identical charger as the original Deck one. It seems to work fine and it had 2 firmware updates so far which means it should stay compatible with newer hardware. Going to try it with my 2 laptops as well, the hubs I bought for them usually fail or have some issue after a while

Associate
also

could anyone recommend some cheap controllers that work well on the steam deck with emulators? I want to introduce the kids to games on the TV, but they are very prone to meltdowns if they arent an instant expert at it. there is every chance the get thrown (i know i'm going to instantly regret this) Wired or wireless is fine. Thanks

Soldato
Looks good. Will pick one up.
Prime also has a thing at the mo that if you buy a gift card of at least £40, they straight up give you £5 back. So if you don't mind some credit sitting with Amazon, then it will cost you £19. There will be a Prime based advert somewhere touting this deal.

Edit: When I say gift card I mean you just give Amazon some money to get the equivalent in credit with them.

Last edited:
Soldato
any preference of these:
Samsung Evo select 512GB £28.49
Sandisk Ultra 512GB £32.85

Much of a muchness i guess?
You want the Samsung one, if a cursory google image search is correct in identifying the Samsung as a U3, and the Sandisk as a U1. U3 being the faster of the two. That is a cheap price for the Samsung, assuming it defo is a EVO select U3

Soldato
You want the Samsung one, if a cursory google image search is correct in identifying the Samsung as a U3, and the Sandisk as a U1. U3 being the faster of the two. That is a cheap price for the Samsung, assuming it defo is a EVO select U3
Adding on, I believe the Samsung also has the A2 rating too compared to the Sandisk's A1, which is better random read/writes, and more beneficial to gaming.

Soldato
also

could anyone recommend some cheap controllers that work well on the steam deck with emulators? I want to introduce the kids to games on the TV, but they are very prone to meltdowns if they arent an instant expert at it. there is every chance the get thrown (i know i'm going to instantly regret this) Wired or wireless is fine. Thanks
How old are they? I have never accepted any Controller throwing (or meltdowns about anything tbh).
Do you have any wireless console controllers already? Chances are you can sync it to the deck, some will need an adaptor. I use an xbox controller for pc.

Associate
How old are they? I have never accepted any Controller throwing (or meltdowns about anything tbh).
Do you have any wireless console controllers already? Chances are you can sync it to the deck, some will need an adaptor. I use an xbox controller for pc.
5 and 8. The 8 year old seems to be going through some hormonal change at the moment which is making her more prone to mood swings which is making things worse lately. Thats good for you mate, i dont stand for it either, but that has zero effect on it happening. They are super competitive, which they get from there mum so naturally everything is a competition.

I have a wired 360 controller, and a wireless one with the pc dongle thing. It doesnt seem to "shut down" properly though, so unless i remember to take the batteries out, they are dead the next time i use it. Also have an 8bit do arcade stick which does wifi Bluetooth or wired. So i really just need one more to get all of us playing some 4 player games. Id probably get 2 though

Associate
Thanks. Yeah they evo select is specific to "a particular store" so im using a 256gb version of that in the deck already, which i pinched from my tablet, so ill go with that one. Cheers

Associate
2230 SSDs are getting cheap enough now, so I bought a 1TB drive to replace my standard 64GB. It was pretty quick and easy to install. Downloading all the games now!

Last edited:
Soldato
2230 SSDs are getting cheap enough now, so I bought a 1TB drive to replace my standard 64GB. It was pretty quick and easy to install. Downloading all the games now!
Got a 2TB for £103 delivered. Straight away I installed the beefiest games like GTA5 and Flight sim 2020 :rolleyes: :D
Quite a lot installed now and still 1.2TB free. Thats also with 85GB of movies and TV shows as was testing VLC / Kodi.

Last edited:
Associate
i cant for the life of me, get the steam deck to connect to my NAS. so struggling to find a way to get files from my NAS to the Deck. Found KDE Connect, which works great, but you can only send one file at a time. :rolleyes:

On the NAS, i'm running a very old version of Freenas. V8.3 i think. I havent updated it, because it works perfectly well and i dont know Linux/freeBSD so i have to find a proper detailed guide and follow the instructions. so "Upgrading" is likely to cause me all sorts of trouble i dont have time for. ive setup SMB shares for PCs on the network, and i use NFS shares for Kodi (libreelec). the deck wont connect to the NAS, but appears to connect to other PCs on the network. There arent any shares setup though, i'll have to test it.

This isnt really the right forum, but it might be because freenas v8.3 uses SMB version 1. I only know this because windows 10 wont see the NAS unless i enable SMB version 1.... though i think it works if i type the //freenas address...

How are you lot doing it?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom