*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Barely even pick up my deck these days.. novelty has worn off for me and I always want better performance haha.
Its the only way of playing my favourite puzzle game ever (Soda Pipes)
Short of buying an XP era machine. Its perfect on the Steam Deck.

lvEKRqDh.jpg

xmub58kh.jpg

Associate
Barely even pick up my deck these days.. novelty has worn off for me and I always want better performance haha.
I'm exactly the same . Don't get me wrong it's an amazing bit of kit but after a month or so of buying it's become a paperweight as most things I play won't work unless I install windows and that is a terrible experience on steam deck so it's just sat gathering dust .

Permabanned
I'm exactly the same . Don't get me wrong it's an amazing bit of kit but after a month or so of buying it's become a paperweight as most things I play won't work unless I install windows and that is a terrible experience on steam deck so it's just sat gathering dust .
I'm the same, it's a paperweight really.. and I agree it an amazing bit of kit but I can't agree with the windows comment. Mine is running windows with steam deck tools. Gives you the same tdp/refresh rate stuff as steam os. Also steam controller and track pads work fantastic now. It was a terrible experience when the deck first released but now it's a non issue with all the updates and tools. Every game launcher works as it would on my main rig, but I just want more performance :D I'm used to playing on 3440x1440 ultrawide so it's a bit it a difference and my eyes aren't so good anymore now I've gotten older.

Recommend this guide for windows: https://baldsealion.com/

It has everything you need for a good experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
Proton Experimental plays most things I throw at it. WINE / Protontricks sorts the rest

Last edited:
Soldato
The free AOMEI tool- Backupper I think?

Pretty sure I just cribbed from the top search hit on Reddit.

EDIT: Not sure if we can link Reddit, but search for "A super quick guide on upgrading/cloning Steam Deck SSD without losing data"
Seems like a nice quick guide that.

I mainly wanted mine fresh just so I didnt take over the rubbish from my old SSD

Associate
Got my new 1tb drive installed today. Just went fresh, but bit of a faff. Got stuck in an installing loop, sorted after a Google.
Now struggling with my link. Shows as linked, but whenever I use the app it won't connect. Doing my head in

Soldato
Since installing the 2tb drive, ive managed to install 560GB of games!

Very impressive that games like GTAV and Flight sim 2020 work really well. The 256GB drive, i wouldn’t have even been able to fit flight sim 2020 :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my new 1tb drive installed today. Just went fresh, but bit of a faff. Got stuck in an installing loop, sorted after a Google.
Now struggling with my link. Shows as linked, but whenever I use the app it won't connect. Doing my head in
I had the loop thing too, turned out it was my router / wifi which i guess steam os diesnt like for the initial connection and install. Connected to hotspot and it was fine, then back to Wifi once the OS was installed

Soldato
Any recommendations for a Bluetooth mouse that will fit nicely in the case outside recess? One with additional side buttons preferably.

On the subject of extra buttons, my experience with Windows on a desktop is that you often need drivers installed to use extra buttons. How does the Deck handle this, if you run games in game mode? I'm guessing things like macros won't work without having drivers/software installed, but if the extra buttons just worked and can be mapped then that's enough.

Don
I was pleasantly surprised that my REALLY old Xbox 360 wireless adapter worked plug and play last night when doing some couch coop stuff with my wife :D Even Windows doesn't have native support for it any more... Plugged in adapter via the dock and both 360 controllers sync'd immediately.

Associate
I was pleasantly surprised that my REALLY old Xbox 360 wireless adapter worked plug and play last night when doing some couch coop stuff with my wife :D Even Windows doesn't have native support for it any more... Plugged in adapter via the dock and both 360 controllers sync'd immediately.
Damn that's great news

Associate
So the steamdeck runs so well because it's lynux? I was playing f1 23 at max settings last night without issue.

I get it's only 720p BUT damn!

So...... Shouldn't a pc with the same softwear but pc hardwear not just absolutely be killing it?

Or have I under complicated it?

Soldato
Well they do? Ain't many people rocking 720p monitors nowadays...the amount of pixels people want their PCs to push around is significantly more.

Also F1 23 isn't really doing anything special by today's hardware..its pretty(ish) but fairly basic engine (modified) that they been using since 2007.

Back
Top Bottom