*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
The solution here is to update your NAS software.

You’re running an OS that’s over a decade old and probably hasn’t had any security updates since. I really do hope it’s not connected to the internet.

Im no free as expert but a quick google suggests you can directly update to V11 but even that’s very old. Back up your config file before you do anything, you can always go back.

Last edited:
Soldato
i cant for the life of me, get the steam deck to connect to my NAS. so struggling to find a way to get files from my NAS to the Deck. Found KDE Connect, which works great, but you can only send one file at a time. :rolleyes:

On the NAS, i'm running a very old version of Freenas. V8.3 i think. I havent updated it, because it works perfectly well and i dont know Linux/freeBSD so i have to find a proper detailed guide and follow the instructions. so "Upgrading" is likely to cause me all sorts of trouble i dont have time for. ive setup SMB shares for PCs on the network, and i use NFS shares for Kodi (libreelec). the deck wont connect to the NAS, but appears to connect to other PCs on the network. There arent any shares setup though, i'll have to test it.

This isnt really the right forum, but it might be because freenas v8.3 uses SMB version 1. I only know this because windows 10 wont see the NAS unless i enable SMB version 1.... though i think it works if i type the //freenas address...

How are you lot doing it?

Thanks
Yea update your nas os first

Soldato
@champ222 as already said, update your nas os.
Out of interest, what files do you need to transfer from the NAS to your Steam Deck? Can you just copy the files from NAS to fast external USB drive, then connect that to the Steam Deck? Mihgt be easier than updating your nas (if you really dont want to)

Associate
Yeah, i know i need to update the NAS

I'll start a new thread about this in the proper area of the forum, no point in discussing that here.

Currently, its just Emulator roms. but its just very annoying that rather than connect to the network, copy file, i have to faff about copying files to drives etc... Its not a big deal really.

Thanks guys

Soldato

I'll start a new thread about this in the proper area of the forum, no point in discussing that here.

Currently, its just Emulator roms. but its just very annoying that rather than connect to the network, copy file, i have to faff about copying files to drives etc... Its not a big deal really.

Thanks guys
Unless you have multiple TBs of roms (which I doubt) then copying a few hundred GB to an external SSD wont take long. I backed up 500GB SDcard to external drive and even that didnt take long

Associate
Unless you have multiple TBs of roms (which I doubt) then copying a few hundred GB to an external SSD wont take long. I backed up 500GB SDcard to external drive and even that didnt take long
yeah, your absolutely right, i just wanted to fix the issue with the networking. i'll just use an external ssd for now.

Associate
Anyone tried Dave The Diver on their deck? looks like it'll be a decent little pick up and play game.
It looked good at first, then (bear with me) it seems like there's too much/too many different styles going on. I was looking forward to a diving game, not sure I have the patience for the extra stuff :/

Caporegime
It looked good at first, then (bear with me) it seems like there's too much/too many different styles going on. I was looking forward to a diving game, not sure I have the patience for the extra stuff :/
It's not proven that overbearing yet although I'm only an hour or two in. It has a fun style too.

Soldato
Yeah I liked what it was doing but it threw too much my way early on that I just felt a bit overwhelmed. Drifted off and refunded it as I don't think it's for me

Soldato
Subculture was a fun game.
Something like MinerVGA would be good but the Dave the Diver type style - just casually look for fish, avoid getting eaten by sharks, look for gold / other minerals and explore stuff.
Maybe have a weight limit to carry different items that can be bought a dive shop and can drill / blast through tunnels and stuff to explore and mine more items. All with an open multiplayer where you can team up with other people or hunt them down!

This was one of my favourite games. I would spend hours tryting to mine more minerals

It was only ever replicated by Minecraft. where I was whitelisted on a server and my task was a diamond and other mineral collector - spending hours in caves just digging and lighting up my way, whilst trying to avoid dangers.
That was hugely addictive, to a point where I had to stop cold turkey as one night I had been mining from 11pm > 6am and realised it was almost time to get up for work in the real world!

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh yeh!

Anyone know how to set the left trackpad so you can assign letters on the keyboard, i.e. move around the trackpad and can select 9 different letters

4PtnJYs.jpg

zubILlP.jpg

Soldato
Set the left trackpad to Touch Menu, give it a name and then add virtual menu items and assign a key. Here is an exmple of one someone has created for the most popular community layout for DA:O

X5FTeCv.png
Thats, i manged to get the trackpad working with letters - however the letters are hotkeys for the emulator (dosbox in my case) rather than the game.
e.g. I select 'r' using the trackpad and it resets the game. If i open the on screen keybaord for dosbox and select r, it presses r in the game

Associate

Thanks guys
In case you didn't know, Warpinator is a great way to drag/drop files to and from the Deck.

Soldato
Thats, i manged to get the trackpad working with letters - however the letters are hotkeys for the emulator (dosbox in my case) rather than the game.
e.g. I select 'r' using the trackpad and it resets the game. If i open the on screen keybaord for dosbox and select r, it presses r in the game
Hmm, how do you have the Miner game setup - is it just a manual DOSBOX install? I tried manually installing/running Dosbox and when creating touchpad menu it seemed to send the keystrokes fine. Also works with games on steam that come with Dosbox option to play like original Colonization.

Back
Top Bottom