*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Fair point, in 3 days of ownership, the deck has blown me away and I've not found anything that doesn't run well. Of course, that 720p screen will be a major reason but still

Soldato
So the steamdeck runs so well because it's lynux? I was playing f1 23 at max settings last night without issue.

I get it's only 720p BUT damn!

So...... Shouldn't a pc with the same softwear but pc hardwear not just absolutely be killing it?

Or have I under complicated it?
Thats why handhelds hold up quite well (as already said) much lower resolution but due to the screen size the lower res still looks good.

1280 x 800 - 1,024,000 pixels Steam Deck
1920 x 1080 - 2,073,600 pixels HD
2560 x 1440 - 3,686,400 pixels QHD
3440 x 1440 - 4,953,600 pixels Ultrawide
3840 x 2160 - 8,294,400 pixels 4k UHD

For me my PC is running UltrawiDDDe so it has to push 5x more pixels that the Steam Deck.
You can of course connect an external screen and push more pixels with the Deck but thats not really what it was designed for. That being said, most games scale well enough and you can enalble things like render scaling and dynamic resolution.

Here's 1600 x 900 holding up well enough on the Steam Deck in Flight Sim 2020

Also to note, Valve have a dedicated team that started working on Linux GPU drivers recently. Support will only get better and games are fixed based on feedback of Proton compatibility.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Thats why handhelds hold up quite well (as already said) much lower resolution but due to the screen size the lower res still looks good.

1280 x 800 - 1,024,000 pixels Steam Deck
1920 x 1080 - 2,073,600 pixels HD
2560 x 1440 - 3,686,400 pixels QHD
3440 x 1440 - 4,953,600 pixels Ultrawide
3840 x 2160 - 8,294,400 pixels 4k UHD

For me my PC is running Ultrawise so it has to push 5x more pixels that the Steam Deck.
You can of course connect an external screen and push more pixels with the Deck but thats not really what it was designed for. That being said, most games scale well enough and you can enalble things like render scaling and dynamic resolution.

Here's 1600 x 900 holding up well enough on the Steam Deck in Flight Sim 2020

Also to note, Valve have a dedicated team that started working on Linux GPU drivers recently. Support will only get better and games are fixed based on feedback of Proton compatibility.

Ultrawise! :cry:

Soldato
Busy Sunday evening :D

Wii games work really well and look great

VldjZjsh.jpg

Permabanned
So the steamdeck runs so well because it's lynux? I was playing f1 23 at max settings last night without issue.

I get it's only 720p BUT damn!

So...... Shouldn't a pc with the same softwear but pc hardwear not just absolutely be killing it?

Or have I under complicated it?

Nothing to do with the OS, I run Windows on mine and some games perform better than they do in Linux.

@Guest2 Wii games run on a potato lol, you tried any Switch games yet?

Here is Miles Morales running on my 1080p projector, via the deck and windows. FPS in busy areas is around 45, but it can do 60fps in some areas.

DSC-0054.jpg

DSC-0052.jpg

DSC-0041.jpg

DSC-0059.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing to do with the OS, I run Windows on mine and some games perform better than they do in Linux.

@Guest2 Wii games run on a potato lol, you tried any Switch games yet?

Here is Miles Morales running on my 1080p projector, via the deck and windows. FPS in busy areas is around 45, but it can do 60fps in some areas.

What games perform better in Windiws than Linux?

They might, but they’re still great fun games on the Steam deck.

Yes, switch play fine - Mario kart 8 deluxe is a solid 60fps. Metroid dread, new super mario bros u deluxe, donkey king tropical freeze play well so far.

WiiU also works great, Xbox does and played Rallisoort challenge for a few hours and tried Aliens Colonial Maries on PS3.

Permabanned
What games perform better in Windiws than Linux?

They might, but they’re still great fun games on the Steam deck.

Yes, switch play fine - Mario kart 8 deluxe is a solid 60fps. Metroid dread, new super mario bros u deluxe, donkey king tropical freeze play well so far.

WiiU also works great, Xbox does and played Rallisoort challenge for a few hours and tried Aliens Colonial Maries on PS3.
I can't remember off the top of my head, I'll have a look later.

Nice!

Yeah Wii-U is very nice, BotW runs really well. I tried Xbox 360 Read Dead Redemption and it's a constant 30fps throughout :)

Soldato
It's exactly the same as the Steam Deck charger.

I mean you could have just read that on Steam's website :p

deck.png

What they say there could be about the length of the cable, there are multiple ways of interpreting what they say on the site. But if you have one and it says 45W on the charger that came with the official dock then thanks for confirming that. You are confirming that yeah?

Permabanned
What they say there could be about the length of the cable, there are multiple ways of interpreting what they say on the site. But if you have one and it says 45W on the charger that came with the official dock then thanks for confirming that. You are confirming that yeah?
It means the same PSU as the one that comes with the Steam Deck. I come to this final conclusion by simply Googling the product, and the fact that it's a high probability chance they mean it's the same PSU, why would one interpret it as the length of the cable only? that didn't even enter my head when I looked on their page.

1.png

2.png

I don't have the official dock, I have the JSAUX one. But the info is there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok cheers. So it seems a bit odd that they supply a low power psu with it when the whole idea is that you are likely to want to power several peripherals, whilst playing at max performance and still have enough power to charge the deck. 60W minimum when running a dock is what I have heard. Not as good a deal as first thought even with the discount. I did find a fantastic looking dock which was basically a keyboard with full dock functionality built in, i.e. 100W power delivery, network, memory card ports, video, sound, multiple usb ports etc, all for £70. But it came from Europe and therefore had a German keyboard layout. Bugger.

Permabanned
Ok cheers. So it seems a bit odd that they supply a low power psu with it when the whole idea is that you are likely to want to power several peripherals, whilst playing at max performance and still have enough power to charge the deck. 60W minimum when running a dock is what I have heard. Not as good a deal as first thought even with the discount. I did find a fantastic looking dock which was basically a keyboard with full dock functionality built in, i.e. 100W power delivery, network, memory card ports, video, sound, multiple usb ports etc, all for £70. But it came from Europe and therefore had a German keyboard layout. Bugger.
I have no problems with my JSAUX one with the official PSU that came with my deck, everything runs nicely with stuff plugged into it. It is capable of accepting 100W though, this is the one I have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/JSAUX-Compatible-Ethernet-Charging-Deck-HB0603-Grey/dp/B0B9RBLBQS

Soldato
Well, I havent been able to get Motocross Madness 2 running at all on later versions of Windows and it's too slow for PCem.

Proton / WINE is a solid reason alone for buying a Steam Deck. Play many classics from Win9X and XP that flat refuse to work on Windows 10/11. PCem is great, but the CPU tops out on a high end desktop around 233Mhz - often too slow by XP era games

ucsBh2th.jpg

Motocross Madness 2 working at native Steam Deck resolution, graphics maxed at 60fps

O9Ph4vuh.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
It depends what you want it for, I bought the 2nd (?) iteration and it's fine but to be honest I've never really used the Deck linked to my TV much at all so I don't *actually* need it.

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom