*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Good luck getting one though, Have been looking at the steamdeck page pretty much every day from the sale started and I haven't seen it being in stock at all
All three models came in stock on the last day of the sale and went out of stock within an hour or so. I joined a discord server that notified me so I could let my friend know.

Soldato
You'd have to dive into the docs for that emulator.

Just looking to add Tetris (gameboy) to my library for quick access.

Do games added with parsers appear in the Steam library? If so, could someone check the launch paths for a gameboy games please (Gambatte v0.5.0) - then i can add one or two manually

Last edited:
Associate

Do games added with parsers appear in the Steam library? If so, could someone check the launch paths for a gameboy games please (Gambatte v0.5.0) - then i can add one or two manually
I don't have any Gameboy stuff going on yet. I'll give it a go when I have time and let you know.

Soldato

Should be something like this depending on where you have the games located, target as:

"/usr/bin/flatpak" run org.libretro.RetroArch -L /gambatte_libretro.so "/run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/roms/gb/thegame.zip"

Edit: If you are running it standalone and not via Retroarch then I'm not sure as I've never tried it :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome thanks guys.

Using desktop mode with just the Deck is annoying as hell. Im trying to access and edit the start in options with on screen keyboard and as soon as you select with the cursor it ‘grabs’ it and vanishes. Then the only way to break out is by going into big picture mode.

I’ll work it out (as dont have a keyboard to connect with me)

It also doesnt help that in game or big picture mode the target and start in boxes are about 1cm wide so you cant see what the path is at all. The Browse button next to it tajes up half the screen. Aweful UI for adding non steam library games. Might log feedback to Valve on that unless im missing a trick here.

Edit - managed it using Kate text editor to add the start in. Worked exactly as you put @stooeh
Also added art from EmulationStationDE downloaded media. Finally, Tetris quick access as soon as I boot the Deck

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone tried overclocking the deck? I stumbled across a guide on Reddit and might give it a go. The fan does already go a bit mad though and I like my battery life. Could be useful for when I dock for some co-op.

Soldato
Nice! I do like being able to access everything from game mode as it it's a native shortcut.
Do you really have so many ROMs though? I tend to stick just what I'm playing on the deck, but I guess with older titles you can fit everything anyway!
A curated list spanning 26 systems instead of just "all roms for gameboy"
Close to 2000 but 1000 are NES which were left on when I bought the device, should probably rid those

Soldato
Has anyone tried overclocking the deck? I stumbled across a guide on Reddit and might give it a go. The fan does already go a bit mad though and I like my battery life. Could be useful for when I dock for some co-op.
I havent, can't imagine it doing well for the CPU/GPU/SSD. Playing BeamNG the fans kick in like crazy and its starts getting warm quite fast

Associate
I was tempted by the undervolting, but bricking it and having to reflash the BIOS was something I wasn't willing to risk for a few degrees

Associate
I was tempted by the undervolting, but bricking it and having to reflash the BIOS was something I wasn't willing to risk for a few degrees
This I didn't know about. Do you need a custom bios for this then?
I havent, can't imagine it doing well for the CPU/GPU/SSD. Playing BeamNG the fans kick in like crazy and its starts getting warm quite fast
I'm thinking that a custom fan curve would help.
Valve changed the curve around launch because of noise complaints, but I don't know if there's more in it and I haven't checked my temperatures either.

Associate
Steam store were selling refurbished Steam Decks earlier this evening and I managed to snag a 64gb model for £280.

Looking forward to a trip down memory lane playing some old Steam games as I've mainly played on consoles for the last few years.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
May have temped me at £250. But I know it will only just gather dust for the most part due to a lack of time. One of those cases where you want to have access to it when you fancy, but then you have it and never do.

Soldato
I don't really use mine that much but it's convenient to have it downstairs under the TV and either use it with a controller from the sofa or use it handheld while I "watch" Master Chef or some other show that gf wants to watch. In fact she probably uses it more than I do.

Though I'm flying abroad to see my parents soon, week holiday and then extra two weeks to spend a bit more time with them and work from home. GF is only staying the first week so I'll probably get some use out the steam deck in the evenings.

Soldato
May have temped me at £250. But I know it will only just gather dust for the most part due to a lack of time. One of those cases where you want to have access to it when you fancy, but then you have it and never do.
I thought this but I play more games on it than my PC. PC is mainly for Warzone 2, Deck I used for quick retro bursts but have recently started playing BeamNG drive on it.
The controls are easier than using a keyboard and mouse or digging out other peripherals for the PC

Reactions: TNA
Associate
I have a hectic family lifestyle so being able to get in a quick 10mins here and there will be a godsend. I don't have the luxury of time to have marathon gaming sessions like I did back in my youth. Being able to revisit older games and emulated games via the deck will be really handy.

Back
Top Bottom