*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
How come there's loads of open talk of emulation now on here? A few months back I got blasted and posts removed by some over zealous 'mod' for even mentioning the word! A bit of consistency would be nice on this forum sometimes :mad:
Mods can't read every post so depends on if people report. No idea what you talked about, but Amiga and Switch emulation should be seen differently.

Associate
Most Amiga games are abandonware, whilst Switch is still being sold. And Nintendo do pursue copyrights quite religiously - though the story of kid with a the cardboard console getting a cease and desist order is probably fake.

Soldato
How come there's loads of open talk of emulation now on here? A few months back I got blasted and posts removed by some over zealous 'mod' for even mentioning the word! A bit of consistency would be nice on this forum sometimes :mad:
I *think* as long as you're not blatently doing things like linking to sites with roms and bios it's ok.

I asked some time at about emulation discussion and it deemed acceptible for the discussion so long as it was kept to things like "x system/game works well" isntead of "this is where to find loads of free stuff"
Tutorials that are available on youtube showing how to setup x system is hardly grounds for 10 years in prison

Associate
Might try it and if it doesn’t run the best can always stream from my pc
I've not had any crashes, as above about 30 fps works well with the controller. Does munch the battery a bit. Have tried streaming it as well. Looks way better and sips battery, and don't need to worry about latency. Though I did get some odd stuttering streaming it. But mostly blame my WiFi for that

Pet Northerner
Don
Thread opened and posts cleaned (where applicable)

That's what the report button is for. We don't read every post that come up in every thread (literally don't have the time) so if something does indeed break the rules - please report it and it'll get dealt with. For the record though, the post of yours that was deleted was a video tutorial on how to get a leaked version of Goldeneye that was due for release running on the steamdeck. A far cry from "simply mentioning the word".

Mods here feel very powerful... That's all I can say.

I'm not sure what this is even in regards to? Feel free to open an FCD thread if you feel moderation is not even, please cite examples for review.

Soldato
Cheers for the feedback on baldurs gate, been testing a load of other games streaming on my deck this evening and they all seem to run fine (even games that require quick inputs) so will probably pick this up for the PC rather then PS5.

Last edited:
Soldato

That's what the report button is for. We don't read every post that come up in every thread (literally don't have the time) so if something does indeed break the rules - please report it and it'll get dealt with. For the record though, the post of yours that was deleted was a video tutorial on how to get a leaked version of Goldeneye that was due for release running on the steamdeck. A far cry from "simply mentioning the word".

Surely it would have made more sense for Rare / Microsoft to release it on Steam? Sure, Steam will take a cut but they must be aware people emulate Xbox (and Switch) systems on devices, including other handhelds.

I loved Goldeneye and this news tempts me into getting a Switch for the multiplayer aspect.

Soldato

I was being hyperbolic. And there were no actual links to any roms or anything like that in said video though. It was purely a guide on how to get it working on the deck, so is that still against forum rules?

For the record I'm all for open and grown up conversation about emulation, and I wouldn't be 'reporting' anyone myself. On a gaming focused forum, the fact that the all time classic Goldeneye got a remake that never got an official release at least warrants discussion, not just nuking all posts down the memory hole.

However we live in a current age of overzealous bed-wetting censorship and this forum is disappointingly ever more complicit, so your response isn't/ won't be a surprise.

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
There were no actual links to any roms or anything like that in said video though. It was purely a guide on how to get it working on the deck, so is that still against forum rules?

For the record I'm all for open and grown up conversation about emulation, and I wouldn't be 'reporting' anyone myself. On a gaming focused forum, the fact that this all time classic Goldeneye remake never got an official release at least warrants discussion.

However we live in a current age of overzealous bed-wetting censorship and this forum is disappointingly ever more complicit, so your response isn't/ won't be a surprise.

Not that we really need to split hairs here but that video contained some very clear and readable reddit links (the video maker did a very lazy job at trying to distance themselves from legal ramifications) to where you can get the roms from.

Emulation is too much of a grey legal area for the risk to be worthwhile to the forums. People who emulate know where to get guides / roms / emulators from. Instructions of how to set up and use emulators (especially where the content being emulated is not truly freeware - which is 90%+ of what people really emulate) is again too risky to be worthwhile.

By all mean have conversations to say you use your hardware to emulate, that fine and your risk. But providing instructions on how to bypass DRMs / get things working in this fashion crosses the line and makes OCUK (which is a heavily scraped site by google so ends up towards the top of most searches) the target of any litigation, should any arise. So I hope that in the spirit of being an adult and having an adult conversation, you can understand this position.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom