*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I may consider going down the gaming only on a steam deck in the future, especially if Nvidia and AMD continue like this. But I will need at least a SteamDeck 2 with an OLED screen.

Soldato
I have a hectic family lifestyle so being able to get in a quick 10mins here and there will be a godsend. I don't have the luxury of time to have marathon gaming sessions like I did back in my youth. Being able to revisit older games and emulated games via the deck will be really handy.
This is where the device shines and I've managed to finish numerous games over the last 12 months that I doubt I would have even played if I had to go to another room and boot up the PC.

A short hike
Resident Evil 2 remake
Resident Evil 3 remake
Resident Evil 4 remake
Titanfall 2
Firewatch
Layers of Fear

All played start to finish on Deck, that is aside from all the emulation play, I adore this device.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a hectic family lifestyle so being able to get in a quick 10mins here and there will be a godsend. I don't have the luxury of time to have marathon gaming sessions like I did back in my youth. Being able to revisit older games and emulated games via the deck will be really handy.
Its really good for this

For anyone into Amiga

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This is where the device shines and I've managed to finish numerous games over the last 12 months that I doubt I would have even played if I had to go to another room and boot up the PC.

A short hike
Resident Evil 2 remake
Resident Evil 3 remake
Resident Evil 4 remake
Titanfall 2
Firewatch
Layers of Fear

All played start to finish on Deck, that is aside from all the emulation play, I adore this device.

One of the big appeals for me with the Steam Deck is having all my Resi and Final Fantasy games in one place I can play easily.

Soldato
One of the big appeals for me with the Steam Deck is having all my Resi and Final Fantasy games in one place I can play easily.
For me its the speed of access.

Want to have a quick 2 min game on tetris, sure its about 3 button clicks away.
Want to quickly open many emulators, the same
Want direct access to any of the games within any emulator, sure - add it manually to your favourites or a collection
Play something that doesnt run on modern Windows machines or in PCem, sure Proton allows it to work and more to the point quickly

Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
For me its the speed of access.

Want to have a quick 2 min game on tetris, sure its about 3 button clicks away.
Want to quickly open many emulators, the same
Want direct access to any of the games within any emulator, sure - add it manually to your favourites or a collection
Play something that doesnt run on modern Windows machines or in PCem, sure Proton allows it to work and more to the point quickly

Yep. That is a big appeal for sure. Now imagine that on better hardware with a OLED screen? That is what I want :)

Soldato
Yep. That is a big appeal for sure. Now imagine that on better hardware with a OLED screen? That is what I want :)
Sure, better hardware is a bonus but for me its the Valve support, control system and community control layouts that have really made it. Tetris with BGB emulator will look even better on OLED! :D

Valve support - I had a minor issue, they sent me a brand new Deck!

Last edited:
Soldato
One of the odd benefits of the deck for me personally is that because I am both very short sighted, and also have that age related thing with your eyes where they struggle to focus on things at mid range to reading distance, such that I need varifocals, I find that I am much more comfortable if I take my glasses off altogether and hold a screen quite close to my face where there is a sweet spot where I can focus perfectly on a screen without them on. I sussed this out with my phone screen to start with and now I have the deck I find I can lay back and hold it the perfect distance so I can take the glasses off. I otherwise have to wear separate mid range specs just for normal computer screen use, and whilst that is ok and better than my normal specs for that distance, it's much nicer to take them off altogether when using a screen like this. It's either that or pay to get my eyeballs lasered up, which is not on the agenda. I just have to remember where I've put them so I don't squash them.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Sure, better hardware is a bonus but for me its the Valve support, control system and community control layouts that have really made it. Tetris with BGB emulator will look even better on OLED! :D

Valve support - I had a minor issue, they sent me a brand new Deck!

Yea. I am not interested in a Asus whatever it is called. Only Steam Deck 2 :D

Associate
It's either that or pay to get my eyeballs lasered up, which is not on the agenda.
My eyes are steadily getting worse. Just short sighted for now and while I wore glasses the last 3 years they started causing sores. Switched to contacts for the time being, but laser is definitely going to happen in the future.

Associate
Its really good for this

For anyone into Amiga

Ive been playing some old amiga games via emudeck. Works really well. Ive been playing speedball 2 mainly. Never played a football game in my life though.

I dont think the game fills the screen as well as that though... ill have to check.

How is that setup? Ive got mine using the valve rom loader thing, but most games arent recognised anyway, and i cant be bothered to manually find pictures etc for it.

Associate
Bargain! Same warranty for refurbished too. If I didn't have one already this seems like a no brainer.

I was chuffed I managed to get one despite initially saying it was out of stock just as hit purchase. Had to refresh the basket a few times. Being despatched from Netherlands so that explains the 1-2 week delivery time.

Associate
I was chuffed I managed to get one despite initially saying it was out of stock just as hit purchase. Had to refresh the basket a few times. Being despatched from Netherlands so that explains the 1-2 week delivery time.
It seems like it usually takes a week at most. Even when there was still a queue I received mine within a week of paying.

Soldato
How come there's loads of open talk of emulation now on here? A few months back I got blasted and posts removed by some over zealous 'mod' for even mentioning the word! A bit of consistency would be nice on this forum sometimes :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
How come there's loads of open talk of emulation now on here? A few months back I got blasted and posts removed by some over zealous 'mod' for even mentioning the word! A bit of consistency would be nice on this forum sometimes :mad:

Mods here feel very powerful... That's all I can say.

Back
Top Bottom