*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
@montymint It's just another example though of 'everyone's thinking it or doing it....but we can't talk about it' which sucks. I do get where you're coming from and appreciate your response though.

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
@montymint It's just another example though of 'everyone's doing it....but we can't talk about it' which sucks. I do get where you're coming from and appreciate your response though.

If it's any consolation I too enjoy emulation (I'm of an age where 16-bit is very near and dear to me) and It does suck that I need to use reddit / discord etc to talk about it there, rather than here where I am more active as a user.

Associate
A quick update on my order, it's been delivered. Pretty rapid too, sadly at work so this afternoon won't go quick enough. Not sure how long I'm going to get to tinker it with once I've got the littles ones to bed and hastily done the housework!

Soldato
If it's any consolation I too enjoy emulation (I'm of an age where 16-bit is very near and dear to me) and It does suck that I need to use reddit / discord etc to talk about it there, rather than here where I am more active as a user.

:) Same

As a mod though, do you not have some sway to loosen things up a bit? I do get though it either has to be fully balls in or out for discussing this type of thing, otherwise it would be a pain to monitor....

Associate

As a mod though, do you not have some sway to loosen things up a bit? I do get though it either has to be fully balls in or out for discussing this type of thing, otherwise it would be a pain to monitor....
Allowing some talk is actually a loosing of the guidelines anyway - there are plenty of resources available with a quick google. The forum is a byproduct of the store, not a tech forum in its own right.
And we see how quickly threads can go downhill if people are expected to self censor.

Soldato
The Steam deck is just a PC at the end of the day. Being a (powerful) handheld makes a good option for emulating older systems.
Installing an emulator isnt committing piracy but can see how talk (or supplying) sources for files is.

There are of course free/open source resources for many systems - most emulators I believe are open source but some may require files that are not.
For here I guess it's vague discussion on the lines of "X works great" or "X handheld comes with a good set of games"

Id love for Valve to release systems with sets of games on the Steam store. Maybe then development for remasters (like 007) could come onto the store and we could see the likes of multiplayer 007 on PC / Steam Deck :)

Associate
Commissario

I don't think things are going to get much "looser" than what he's described, as some of the companies with IP that is infringed by emulation have very good, and sometimes bored in house lawyers.

This is a rule that's been around for nearly 25 years at this point, in part because experience has taught us that if we loosen up too much there are invariably links posted on the board.

Associate
Graphics looked very poor when I tried, I also couldn't get on with the controls. I didn't try to tweak anything though.
I'm not sure the game looks much better at high settings either. The graphics don't blow me away or anything. Bit of a shame the performance is kind of naff considering.
Controls don't seem too bad to me though. Maybe a little fiddly at first but you get used to them.

Last edited:
Associate
Just to add a little bit of nuance, also blame the UK government for making popular forums like OCUK's lives pretty difficult. Ocuk are basically responsible for what we post. Working for a global corporate with similar challenges, I truly sympathise as its a nightmare to police. The rules here are pretty clear, and honestly the mods do a pretty good job I think under the circumstances.

I say that having been banned in the past for similar transgressions, and yeah I wanted to ragequit :D

Associate
Steam Deck arrived yesterday morning refurbished 64gb Model. Ordered last Tuesday. At face value I couldn't tell the difference between it being brand new or refurbished apart from the bit label inside the box saying Refurbished.
After letting it update, downloaded a game (Space Marine) and putting the family to bed I managed to get on it at 11:30pm last night. Then after about 15mins of figuring out why the game wouldn't run properly (common redistributables missing) I got it running. I was suitably impressed.

My wife called it the doodah so I spent most of last night playing with said doodah :D

Permabanned
My deck is a paper weight these days, novelty wore off ages ago and I rarely pick it up now, I loved it at first but now I just want more raw processing power so always use my PC. I did end up streaming to it using Parsec but even stopped doing that.

Poor little bugger :(

Associate
My deck is a paper weight these days, novelty wore off ages ago and I rarely pick it up now, I loved it at first but now I just want more raw processing power so always use my PC. I did end up streaming to it using Parsec but even stopped doing that.

Totally understand that. Sometimes I'll load up a game on it and wish I were playing on my desktop instead, usually because the controls make it less enjoyable or sometimes the performance isn't so good.
This usually means if I'm really into it I'll make time for the desktop, otherwise it's just more convenient playing on the deck and I get more time to play.
If nothing is stopping you from sitting at the desktop and you're not taking it outside then it probably wasn't for you.

Soldato

Its ease of access for me. From power on from sleep to playing Tetris with a reloaded save state takes 7 seconds.
Likewise with many other games - If I feel like grabbing it for the sofa and chilling then its nice and fast.

Thinks like Atomic Bomberman for example, ~10 seconds to game screen to be able to play. PC I would have to load up PCem and play mess around with display size a bit (at sit at my desk)

Associate
Its ease of access for me. From power on from sleep to playing Tetris with a reloaded save state takes 7 seconds.
Likewise with many other games - If I feel like grabbing it for the sofa and chilling then its nice and fast.

Thinks like Atomic Bomberman for example, ~10 seconds to game screen to be able to play. PC I would have to load up PCem and play mess around with display size a bit (at sit at my desk)
Which version of Tetris are you playing? Id like a decent tetris for the deck, and a decent version of columns... i played that loads on the gane gear. Thanks

Soldato
All depends on a game(s) I play. Not used the deck much recently as I was playing heavily modded Battletech which doesn't work on the Deck. Before that I played fair bit of Snowrunner and Battlebrothers so used the deck more than the PC.

Soldato
Which version of Tetris are you playing? Id like a decent tetris for the deck, and a decent version of columns... i played that loads on the gane gear. Thanks
Gameboy with PixelShift 03 - BGB 0.3 emulator

htpwnd4h.jpg

qeprWnFh.jpg

Soldato
Shooting myself in the foot for not biting on a recertified 256gig a few days ago I was dithering, and now its gone (probably for a long time).

Found a bot discord channel, and the history is pretty bad, in stock for under a minute when in stock for the new 64 gig, no bot for recertified.

Checked ebay, full of scalpers.

Checked facebook, mixture of used at high prices and what I think could be stolen stock, one guy selling 7 new steam decks unopened.

Of course EU has new 64 gig in stock.

They did pre order at launch, dont know why they wont do it now, they making the same mistake UK retailers did with PS5 etc. in just having unannounced inadequate stock appear with no reservation or filtering of orders, a scalpers paradise.

Last edited:
Soldato
Shooting myself in the foot for not biting on a recertified 256gig a few days ago I was dithering, and now its gone (probably for a long time).

Found a bot discord channel, and the history is pretty bad, in stock for under a minute when in stock for the new 64 gig, no bot for recertified.

Checked ebay, full of scalpers.

Checked facebook, mixture of used at high prices and what I think could be stolen stock, one guy selling 7 new steam decks unopened.

Of course EU has new 64 gig in stock.

They did pre order at launch, dont know why they wont do it now, they making the same mistake UK retailers did with PS5 etc. in just having unannounced inadequate stock appear with no reservation or filtering of orders, a scalpers paradise.
My 256GB was full in no time. Best getting a 64GB then sticking a 2TB drive in it for £100

Soldato
My 256GB was full in no time. Best getting a 64GB then sticking a 2TB drive in it for £100
Doesnt matter, the 64gig is non existent on the store. :(

Of course if I had a choice I would be buying the 64 gig. I think realistically barring a miracle thats not happening, no way I am managing to buy one on a sub 60 second restock.

Back
Top Bottom