*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
I thought the same but you can always do with more storage. I like having things like flight sim 2020 installed and at the ready "I fancy 30 mins on flight sim" At the same time it does chew up something like 200GB
More storage is always a plus, but the current setup will suit me. I have 900/900 connection which steam can easily saturate so having to download games isn't really a big deal. I will put stuff like smaller games and emulators/roms on the SD card and the main drive will be for the heavier titles. To be honest, i'll play the bigger titles on my main PC anyways.

Soldato
You can always run an external USB3 SSD drive off a dongle or dock. The deck can be persuaded to mount an external drive for game library use, guides on YT. You can even set up a dual boot with an external drive apparently, so you could have a dedicated external drive for a Windows install, and not have to mess about with your in built ssd to dual boot.

Soldato
You can always run an external USB3 SSD drive off a dongle or dock. The deck can be persuaded to mount an external drive for game library use, guides on YT. You can even set up a dual boot with an external drive apparently, so you could have a dedicated external drive for a Windows install, and not have to mess about with your in built ssd to dual boot.
You could, but it wouldn’t be anywhere near as fast as the on board NVMe drive. It would be fast enough for most things but the main point is the convenience of not having it docked or a dongle of any sort connected.

Internal NVMe (WD SN740 2TB)
ux8jW2Jh.jpg

External Samsung T7 2TB NVMe (docked with power to dock)
XdejcQBh.jpg

External Samsung T7 2TB NVMe (connected directly to Steam Deck)
kKlQF8Wh.jpg

IMO just easier to spend £100 on a 2TB internal drive.

For comparison, my 512GB Samsung EVO plus SD micro is around 90MB/s read, 20MB/s write Q8T1. Sandisk extreme pro measures around the 90MB/s read / 65MB/s write, despite what specs of 200MB/S 140MB/S say!

Last edited:
Associate
I bought a "Veektomx" 65W bank for my laptop that's been pretty solid. (Would usually have gone with Anker but the equivalent bank at the time wasn't getting good reviews) Supposed to be 20k mAh, maybe take that with a pinch of salt, but it gives a good couple of extra hours on the deck.

Associate
I bought a "Veektomx" 65W bank for my laptop that's been pretty solid. (Would usually have gone with Anker but the equivalent bank at the time wasn't getting good reviews) Supposed to be 20k mAh, maybe take that with a pinch of salt, but it gives a good couple of extra hours on the deck.
Thanks. Yeah my reading into these suggests some come with pinches and others are large heaps. Never had the need for one before. The battery market is such a joke.

Associate
I ended up getting a ugreen pack that was on offer. More than I thought I'd spend, but should do nicely for the laptop and other things. Anker seemed a bit overpriced when looking for anything comparable.

Soldato
I mean you could play it on the Deck as well if you had Windows, I hear the ROG Ally has its problems.
To be honest half the problem is Windows itself. Since the Ally has more powerful hardware to deal with Windows quirks (and I didn't want to dual boot), it makes more sense.

Permabanned
To be honest half the problem is Windows itself. Since the Ally has more powerful hardware to deal with Windows quirks (and I didn't want to dual boot), it makes more sense.
What problem did you have with Windows? I have had no issues with it, I run it solely on my Deck, I ditched Steam OS ages ago.

Soldato
What problem did you have with Windows? I have had no issues with it, I run it solely on my Deck, I ditched Steam OS ages ago.
The same issues I have with it on the Ally.
Inconsistent performance, hitches and things not working leading me to restart.
Deck was only viable for me with Steam OS. As a Windows device I far prefer the Ally.

Soldato
I keep tossing and turning between spending £170 on a 2tb drive. On the one hand, never have to worry about space again. On the flipside I already have the 512gb with a 512gb Samsung micro sd....do I really need to spend £170 and the hassle of putting it in and setting up my Ps2 emulator and the other non-steam games?

Associate
Just upgraded my 1TB drive that I upgraded to last year to a 2TB WD SN740 as I wanted more space, upgrade went extremely smoothly. Plugged the new drive into the USB-C port, ran the clone command from the deck desktop, inserted the new drive and was up and running with no issues whatsoever. Took about 30 mins to clone my drive which was about 70% full and it copied everything perfectly and auto resized the partition, didn't even need to sign back steam :)

Clone command I used was,

sudo dd if=/dev/nvme0n1 of=/dev/sda oflag=sync bs=128M status=progress

Also replaced my Prolimatech PK3 paste with the PTM7950 pad and it dropped the temps by at least 5c over my own paste which that in itself dropped a few degrees of the stock paste last year, really impressive stuff and so much easier to apply. Tempted to use that stuff on my PC CPU next time I repaste that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just upgraded my 1TB drive that I upgraded to last year to a 2TB WD SN740 as I wanted more space, upgrade went extremely smoothly. Plugged the new drive into the USB-C port, ran the clone command from the deck desktop, inserted the new drive and was up and running with no issues whatsoever. Took about 30 mins to clone my drive which was about 70% full and it copied everything perfectly and auto resized the partition, didn't even need to sign back steam :)

Clone command I used was,

sudo dd if=/dev/nvme0n1 of=/dev/sda oflag=sync bs=128M status=progress

Do you have non steam stuff (ubi/ea games and or other stuff) and it all still works? This worryingly makes my decision much easier if so!

Back
Top Bottom