*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Do you have non steam stuff (ubi/ea games and or other stuff) and it all still works? This worryingly makes my decision much easier if so!

I do, ubi launcher, heroic, gampass via the edge browser, custom artwork for those launchers. Plus all my emulator stuff with custom scraped artwork/video clips. Stuff I would really not like to setup again as it could be many hours of work.

Even the desktop is copied exactly, that command is pretty much the equivalent of cloning with macrium reflect, it's an identical clone as far as I can see. It doesn't effect your original drive so nothing to lose if it fails for some reason.

Just in case I also removed my SD card before I cloned as a precaution as I have a lot of data on that and didn't want anything to happen not that it should.

Also if the drive is brand new just plug it into windows first and initialize it as a GPT drive then plug into the deck and run the command.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do, ubi launcher, heroic, gampass via the edge browser, custom artwork for those launchers. Plus all my emulator stuff with custom scraped artwork/video clips. Stuff I would really not like to setup again as it could be many hours of work.

Even the desktop is copied exactly, that command is pretty much the equivalent of cloning with macrium reflect, it's an identical clone as far as I can see. It doesn't effect your original drive so nothing to lose if it fails for some reason.

Just in case I also removed my SD card before I cloned as a precaution as I have a lot of data on that and didn't want anything to happen not that it should.

Also if the drive is brand new just plug it into windows first and initialize it as a GPT drive then plug into the deck and run the command.
Well I know what I'm purchasing come payday, thanks!

Soldato
Lutris, the guides I found aren't 100% accurate so a little trial and error was involved. Seems to run better from desktop mode (Screen Resolution and using the steam deck controls)
I sacked off the guides and got it working without Lutris, 1.0.9.6 patched in game mode with fully working controls.
Original res but prefer some games that way anyway as widescreen patches can sometimes cause issues.
Will create a video and basic guide, was quite easy :) I hate the overly complicated setups some people create with Lutris and modification of game code.

Last edited:
Associate
I sacked off the guides and got it working without Lutris, 1.0.9.6 patched in game mode with fully working controls.
Original res but prefer some games that way anyway as widescreen patches can sometimes cause issues.
Will create a video and basic guide, was quite easy :) I hate the overly complicated setups some people create with Lutris and modification of game code.

That's great would be interested to see how you got it working!

Associate
Just watched the video and read your guide. Interesting how you did it! Only difference for me was installing the Server Mod to give you the aspect ratio and 800p resolution. I'd assume you could install that as part of the PC process before transferring over.

I noticed Outlaws from the late 90s is on steam, was very surprised to see that, think that might be my next purchase. Remember owning that back in the day, I'm hoping that's going to work on the Steam Deck

Soldato
Just watched the video and read your guide. Interesting how you did it! Only difference for me was installing the Server Mod to give you the aspect ratio and 800p resolution. I'd assume you could install that as part of the PC process before transferring over.

I noticed Outlaws from the late 90s is on steam, was very surprised to see that, think that might be my next purchase. Remember owning that back in the day, I'm hoping that's going to work on the Steam Deck
Yeh I imagine you can install when you need on PC, then copy it over to the Deck :)
Outlaws was a great game, it works really well in PCem on the Deck. Might try and get that working (the original version) on Proton

Soldato

Technically it must be possible, this is the demo installed and working well.
Full game, the Setup.exe which was extracted from the ISO closes after its hits 100% on the Deck running through Proton Experimental.

DSZa21sh.jpg

E7v95SAh.jpg

Last edited:
Associate

Not that I've tried installing this game, but it doesn't seem like there's much to it.
What's the difficulty when using lutris?

Soldato
Well things turned good.

So the 64 gig new actually came in stock and then stayed in stock for ages. I will be refusing delivery of my 512g refurb, got a new 64g ordered, and already got ifixit essentials kit and a 2230 SSD ready to go now.

Soldato
Not that I've tried installing this game, but it doesn't seem like there's much to it.
What's the difficulty when using lutris?
Try installing it on the Deck and you'll see. It's often not just a case of next next next like games on Windows, these games were designed for 9X so some dont even work at all on Win10/11. Proton does a great job though
Im sure Lutris isnt too difficult but videos it seems overly complicated to run things that dont necessarily require Lutris at all

Associate
Try installing it on the Deck and you'll see. It's often not just a case of next next next like games on Windows, these games were designed for 9X so some dont even work at all on Win10/11. Proton does a great job though
Im sure Lutris isnt too difficult but videos it seems overly complicated to run things that dont necessarily require Lutris at all
Fair enough. I read your guide and the first step was to install it on a Windows machine which seems a bit crazy and less practical than using lutris. However, as I said I've not tried avp2 and installing on Windows isn't an option for me!
Interesting solution though.

Associate
Fair enough. I read your guide and the first step was to install it on a Windows machine which seems a bit crazy and less practical than using lutris. However, as I said I've not tried avp2 and installing on Windows isn't an option for me!
Interesting solution though.

Once I got my head round running exe inside Lutris itself it ended up fairly straightforward. Also I'm terrible for reading destructions if they don't have nice screenshots and big arrows telling me where to look :)

Soldato
Once I got my head round running exe inside Lutris itself it ended up fairly straightforward. Also I'm terrible for reading destructions if they don't have nice screenshots and big arrows telling me where to look :)
Thanks both, might look at Lutris too.
Does Lutris offer the option of mounting BIN CUE files?

Associate
Well things turned good.

So the 64 gig new actually came in stock and then stayed in stock for ages. I will be refusing delivery of my 512g refurb, got a new 64g ordered, and already got ifixit essentials kit and a 2230 SSD ready to go now.
I ordered one as well, it's currently in the Netherlands awaiting dispatch.

They went on sale earlier this week and are still in stock, hopefully their supply issues to the UK are resolved.

Associate
Thanks both, might look at Lutris too.
Does Lutris offer the option of mounting BIN CUE files?
No, you will have to mount the files first.

For what it's worth I installed avp2aio last night. Just set the runner to windows 7 and after the initial install you just have to run other executables in the prefix.

It's very simple, there's a set of wine options available at the bottom of the window which includes this.

The only other things I had to do for avp2 was enable dgVoodoo2 in the runner options and change the resolution in the config files.

There's some mouse issue that apparently can be fixed by adjusting the polling rate, but otherwise ran a treat.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, you will have to mount the files first.

For what it's worth I installed avp2aio last night. Just set the runner to windows 7 and after the initial install you just have to run other executables in the prefix.

It's very simple, there's a set of wine options available at the bottom of the window which includes this.

The only other things I had to do for avp2 was enable dgVoodoo2 in the runner options and change the resolution in the config files.

There's some mouse issue that apparently can be fixed by adjusting the polling rate, but otherwise ran a treat.
Nice.
I was trying to avoid and wrappers and the like (purely because they have caused issues in the past getting some games to work)

Outlaws, it works but the audio is missing, probably because its redbook copy protected audio.
I now have the game on big box, bought on GOG some time ago and bought it yesterday on Steam too.

The audio works on Windows 10 on the Steam version but doesnt work on the Deck. Just before you play it minimises to Windows, something happens, then the music starts. The game work fine on the Deck though but missing audio (music) is a no for me.
It'll no doubt be how the deck mounts (or doesnt mount) BIN & CUE files

Last edited:
Soldato
I ordered one as well, it's currently in the Netherlands awaiting dispatch.

They went on sale earlier this week and are still in stock, hopefully their supply issues to the UK are resolved.
I emailed Gabe, never got a response, but seems odd within 3 days, suddenly 64 gig has almost been constantly in stock now. :) They ship from EU anyway so I think they may have simply moved stock allocation around.

I rejected delivery of the 512gig refurb, that will be held by parcelforce for 20 days, so refund for that probably 5 weeks or so after order.

Using the 64g now, will do some testing to make sure works then will attempt the 1TB upgrade.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom