*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Very much looking at getting the Steam Deck. Though are there any credible rumours of a newer/upgraded model yet? Considering the hardware of the competitors and all.
The SD IMO is better even though the hardware is not. The whole SteamOS, control layouts and support outweighs the competition.

Chances of getting a Steam Deck 2 in future - minimal unless Valve is working on some anti scalping agent. Hopefully the SD2 can only be purchased by people with a valid and long standing Steam account with multiple genuine purchases.
This would make it much easier for legit games to buy the Deck 2 when its ever released

Last edited:
Soldato
While we're fantasising about a SD2, of course there will be a ludicrously generous SD1 scrappage scheme offered by Valve, as a priority upgrade upgrade option for existing owners, won't there Valve. Come on, you know you want to.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
While we're fantasising about a SD2, of course there will be a ludicrously generous SD1 scrappage scheme offered by Valve, as a priority upgrade upgrade option for existing owners, won't there Valve. Come on, you know you want to.

Zero chance of that. Happy to take yours of your hand now if you had enough? £200 any good? :cry:

Soldato
Zero chance of that. Happy to take yours of your hand now if you had enough? £200 any good? :cry:
I dunno though, now that I have arbitrarily announced legally binding Valve trade-in policy for a future SD2, on a random UK forum, surely they now have to do it?

Actually, joking aside, just imagine how awesome Valve would look if they did offer some kind of reasonable trade-in, so you didn't have to tread the minefield of selling a SD1 second hand to some EBay scammer. God knows how much they would actually be worth whenever an SD2 arrives, it might not be such a bad idea if they are only worth a palfrey amount on the second hand market by then. It all comes down to how much of a technical upgrade it will be. But, yeah, never going to happen.

I have a spare Steam Link if that's any good to you? (Actually, I am strangely attached to it even though it has only been switched on once since I got it, and that was just to test what the setup screen was like)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I dunno though, now that I have arbitrarily announced legally binding Valve trade-in policy for a future SD2, on a random UK forum, surely they now have to do it?

Actually, joking aside, just imagine how awesome Valve would look if they did offer some kind of reasonable trade-in, so you didn't have to tread the minefield of selling a SD1 second hand to some EBay scammer. God knows how much they would actually be worth whenever an SD2 arrives, it might not be such a bad idea if they are only worth a palfrey amount on the second hand market by then. It all comes down to how much of a technical upgrade it will be. But, yeah, never going to happen.

I have a spare Steam Link if that's any good to you? (Actually, I am strangely attached to it even though it has only been switched on once since I got it, and that was just to test what the setup screen was like)

Haha. Nah I'm good. I was the second guy on this thread to get one but could not help selling it for a £500 profit.

I just want one for the sake of wanting it and for that reason only willing to pay £250 max. It would just sit there getting used once in a blue moon. It would make me feel good for owning one however :p

Associate
Thinking aloud, given that the Deck is pretty serviceable, it'd be great if Valve, or even a third party made a drop in motherboard upgrade. I don't personally see much value in resolutions above 800p on a 7 inch screen, and the controls are perfect as they are, so you'd be able to reuse a lot of the device.

Soldato
Instead of SD2, something an 'upgrade pack' containing motherboard, battery and same size oled screen would be awesome for ~£200. Or send in your SD and get it installed and shipped back to you for ~£300

Soldato
I use Megasync on Steam Deck and my PC to sync save game files between the 2 devices for some games, especially emulated ones.

It's normally great but the latest version of Mega has broken the ability to create any new syncs (it just hangs when you add a new folder). Apparently the older v4.9.1.0 still works fine, how do I downgrade from my current version of 4.9.5? I have found a download on github but I have no idea what to do with it? It seems to just be source files with nothing to install. I'm a total linux dullard so hope someone can advise?

I originally installed MegaSync from the Discovery store on the deck in desktop mode as a "flatpack" (I think that's the right term) which is quick and easy like you'd hope.

Last edited:
Associate

Is it so difficult to sell things safely? I used to buy from the mm here regularly and never had issues. Sold a few things on Facebook occasionally in the past too with cash on collection.
eBay has been a bit scary, but no real issues. I once sold a GPU which ended up being returned to me as not working, but did. Nothing was damaged and I guess there was some strange incompatibility with their mobo because it still worked and worked for a friend who took it off my hands in the end.

Soldato
The SD IMO is better even though the hardware is not. The whole SteamOS, control layouts and support outweighs the competition.

Chances of getting a Steam Deck 2 in future - minimal unless Valve is working on some anti scalping agent. Hopefully the SD2 can only be purchased by people with a valid and long standing Steam account with multiple genuine purchases.
This would make it much easier for legit games to buy the Deck 2 when its ever released
Your idea is exactly the one I suggested to gabe in my email, shame he didnt reply.

I suggested 3 year account with min £200 games on the account.

But since the email the stock situation improved a lot, so I suppose simply having enough stock all the time for everyone works as well.

--

I suspect though the deck is trying to lure new people to the eco system, they might prefer someone as a brand new steam account holder to buy it as they have no existing library to use, they then have to buy their games which is where valve makes its money.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it so difficult to sell things safely? I used to buy from the mm here regularly and never had issues. Sold a few things on Facebook occasionally in the past too with cash on collection.
eBay has been a bit scary, but no real issues. I once sold a GPU which ended up being returned to me as not working, but did. Nothing was damaged and I guess there was some strange incompatibility with their mobo because it still worked and worked for a friend who took it off my hands in the end.
I only sell low value things on ebay now, as their buyer protection is so overpowering and makes fraud easy.

I sell higher value things on here via the MM, probably lose some potential sale value, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Associate
Your idea is exactly the one I suggested to gabe in my email, shame he didnt reply.

I suggested 3 year account with min £200 games on the account.

But since the email the stock situation improved a lot, so I suppose simply having enough stock all the time for everyone works as well.

--

I suspect though the deck is trying to lure new people to the eco system, they might prefer someone as a brand new steam account holder to buy it as they have no existing library to use, they then have to buy their games which is where valve makes its money.
I think this is extremely unlikely to happen. They did have a short pre order window that excluded brand new steam accounts and it was limited to one order per account which helped.

More recent stock issues aside, I don't think the launch was so bad. It felt worse because it was a pre order, was delayed, manufacturing was slow, and some regions got theirs sooner than others for a bit.

I put in an order and was given an ETA which was met. It wasn't like I had to scout out every retailer in the country or throw down cash ASAP or fear missing out. I missed the launch announcement and put £5 down a day or so later. If I had been slower than that it turned out I'd only have had to wait another month before it was available without delay.

Once those first few days of orders were fulfilled it was available to purchase without waiting more than a week to be delivered!

It is annoying that the stock situation hasn't been great recently, but it's also been available in the UK for long periods for almost a year and hasn't been a mystery for longer than that.

Soldato
I think this is extremely unlikely to happen. They did have a short pre order window that excluded brand new steam accounts and it was limited to one order per account which helped.

More recent stock issues aside, I don't think the launch was so bad. It felt worse because it was a pre order, was delayed, manufacturing was slow, and some regions got theirs sooner than others for a bit.

I put in an order and was given an ETA which was met. It wasn't like I had to scout out every retailer in the country or throw down cash ASAP or fear missing out. I missed the launch announcement and put £5 down a day or so later. If I had been slower than that it turned out I'd only have had to wait another month before it was available without delay.

Once those first few days of orders were fulfilled it was available to purchase without waiting more than a week to be delivered!

It is annoying that the stock situation hasn't been great recently, but it's also been available in the UK for long periods for almost a year and hasn't been a mystery for longer than that.
The issue wasnt pre order period, it was the last 6 months, when the steam deck was almost perpetually out of stock and filled up on ebay by scalpers.

It only recently came back in stock for more than a minute at a time in the past week or so.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone tried starfield yet? Pretty sure it wouldn’t run but you never know!

Valve just released a software update to fix an issue launching it. Got to hand it to Valve they are bloody quick at doing fixes.

vV4OZ8xh.jpg

20 to 25fps on the deck outdoors in Atlantis which is a really demanding area even on a high end PC and about 35 to 40fps in doors from my quick test. All low at native res, impressed it even runs it :D

Also at the moment you need to run the game with proton experimental otherwise the deck completely hard locks to a black screen when you continue the game.

Last edited:
Soldato
FYI incase anyone isnt aware, you can use the Steam Link app to remotely control your Deck from your PC.
I have mine in its stand and no wires connected and use Steam Link to configure things in desktop mode. Much easier than connecting peripherals directly to the deck either wired or not.
Works really well over Wifi

Associate
I got a Steamdeck yesterday.

This is my second one, I got one last year but gave it away to a family member as I never used it that much.

I have bought a couple of other retro emulators since, even some expensive ones and they are just a disappointment, so I went back to the Steamdeck as for emulation I think it is fantastic.

I bought the 64Gb version this time with the plan to upgrade myself.

I was ready to go, had my new 2230 SSD ready and also had the Steam OS on a micro SD card waiting to go also.

The whole process was so simple.

Parcelforce delivered it to me at 10.15 and by 10.25 I was reinstalling the steam OS on the new SSD. Mine had the new internal black cover on it, so no need to pull back the sliver reflective tape covering the third screw.

Quite proud of myself, anyway just wanted to share! Save yourself a load of money and buy the cheapest one and upgrade, is very easy.

Happy Friday :)

Soldato
FYI incase anyone isnt aware, you can use the Steam Link app to remotely control your Deck from your PC.
I have mine in its stand and no wires connected and use Steam Link to configure things in desktop mode. Much easier than connecting peripherals directly to the deck either wired or not.
Works really well over Wifi

Thank you, I seen people doing this on streams but no idea how they was doing it.

I ended up attaching monitor, kb and mouse to my dock, but this will be even better.

Soldato
Quite proud of myself, anyway just wanted to share! Save yourself a load of money and buy the cheapest one and upgrade, is very easy.

It really is that easy. The only scary bit is getting the first un-click on the case started. After the first one pops the rest seem to almost gleefully un-pop themselves in anticipation of a new ssd. I used a filed down credit card as my tool, as you do need something plastic but with a "sharp" edge to it.

Soldato
It really is that easy. The only scary bit is getting the first un-click on the case started. After the first one pops the rest seem to almost gleefully un-pop themselves in anticipation of a new ssd. I used a filed down credit card as my tool, as you do need something plastic but with a "sharp" edge to it.
That was really hard for me, after about 40 mins I got my first unclick. Good tip on using a credit card, the thing I used from the ifixit essentials toolkit I purchased seemed way too thick.

I also didnt disconnect the battery as clearly not easy to do, I decided the risk of breaking the cable was higher than a short circuit. My cable had no flex and was trapped under battery. Came across quite a few people who skipped it also for similar reasons.

The icing on the cake, 3 external screws nearly stripped, and a 4th did strip, I almost gave up but managed to do it following a tip on reddit, the steam deck is the only device where I have ever had stripping issues, and it seems a very common problem on it.

Might be considered easy for those who have opened phones/laptops before, but I have only ever worked on PCs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom