*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Yes you definitely need the correct sized Philips screwdriver head to undo the screws, and take it really steady. And I forgot about the battery wire, yes that also was quite fiddly. Good to know it is not absolutely essential to remove it.

Associate
Maybe I was just lucky. I just pulled at the top of the deck on the flat surface below the power button and it unclicked straight away.

I also never unplugged the battery.

Screws were fine for me, but I did have the correct screwdriver size I guess.

Associate
FYI incase anyone isnt aware, you can use the Steam Link app to remotely control your Deck from your PC.
I have mine in its stand and no wires connected and use Steam Link to configure things in desktop mode. Much easier than connecting peripherals directly to the deck either wired or not.
Works really well over Wifi

Game changer! Thanks!

Soldato
Thank you, I seen people doing this on streams but no idea how they was doing it.

I ended up attaching monitor, kb and mouse to my dock, but this will be even better.
I dont bother docking stuff, just steam link connect to quickly manage the deck using my mouse, keyboard & screen on my main desktop pc. Much easier then no need to connect additional wires :)

Soldato
I dont bother docking stuff, just steam link connect to quickly manage the deck using my mouse, keyboard & screen on my main desktop pc. Much easier then no need to connect additional wires :)
Yes, I will use the steam link at home, and if I go somewhere, then the docking will be taken with me just in case I need it. I purchased a newer small kb similar to one posted a few posts up. Wont bother with a portable screen though, usually whenever I go somewhere there is a hdmi tv, and most of the time it will be just used undocked.

Soldato
Just got a decent 45w power bank for the deck, on offer on the rainforest at the moment for only £33.99 if anyone's interested

(INIU Power Bank, 45W Fast Charging Portable Charger, 15000mAh Battery Pack)​

It isn't too big, looks and feels nice and has enough juice to charge the deck as you play. Like all batts like this it is pretty weighty though. Not tested it loads yet but I think 15000mAh should be enough to fully charge the deck from nothing to full. I can attach as and when I want to the back of my deck's snug shell case too with my nifty stick on velcro mod....

siOOjIR.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got a decent 45w power bank for the deck, on offer on the rainforest at the moment for only £33.99 if anyone's interested

It isn't too big, looks and feels nice and has enough juice to charge the deck as you play. Like all batts like this it is pretty weighty though. Not tested it loads yet but I think 15000mAh should be enough to fully charge the deck from nothing to full. I can attach as and when I want to the back of my deck's snug shell case too with my nifty stick on velcro mod....

siOOjIR.jpg
Whats the stock battery size? so an idea of its capacity relative to the base battery.

Does attach in a clean way.

Soldato

siOOjIR.jpg
I can't see any INIU 45W Power Banks on Amazon (mods please remove if not allowed to say this, dont think OcUK sell power banks)
Doesnt matter, found it. Good buy :) Although I note "for fastest recharge you'll need a 30W adapter" so it's max 30W in, max 45W out.
134W charging is where its at - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/power-bank-advice-please.18972076/post-36621461

My Anker 737 Power Bank (PowerCore 24K) I more or less got for free.
Amazon missed the delivery date (or the driver did) by 2 days so I called and ordered another, they refunded it and said to refuse the delivery when it arrived. The second one I ordered arrived the next day.
The first one I delivered on the same day as the other but couldnt refuse it, as it was left in my building lobby.

I called Amazon and asked what I was supposed to do any they said to keep it as good will gesture for the first one arriving late. I had two so sold one on eBay as it was brand new unopened.
Two days later I received an email from Amazon asking for the item to be returned otherwise I would be charged. I called them and advised they said to keep it as goodwill and I had now sold it, they then cancelled the return request

After selling the goodwill gesture one, fees and delivery I think it cost me just less than £10

Last edited:
Associate

siOOjIR.jpg
Just a suggestion- Grab a short 90 degree USB-C cable for extra quality of life. Also reduces stress on the sockets. I swear by them, all my C's are 90 degree these days.

Last edited:
Associate
I can't see any INIU 45W Power Banks on Amazon (mods please remove if not allowed to say this, dont think OcUK sell power banks)
Doesnt matter, found it. Good buy :) Although I note "for fastest recharge you'll need a 30W adapter" so it's max 30W in, max 45W out.
134W charging is where its at - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/power-bank-advice-please.18972076/post-36621461

My Anker 737 Power Bank (PowerCore 24K) I more or less got for free.
Amazon missed the delivery date (or the driver did) by 2 days so I called and ordered another, they refunded it and said to refuse the delivery when it arrived. The second one I ordered arrived the next day.
The first one I delivered on the same day as the other but couldnt refuse it, as it was left in my building lobby.

I called Amazon and asked what I was supposed to do any they said to keep it as good will gesture for the first one arriving late. I had two so sold one on eBay as it was brand new unopened.
Two days later I received an email from Amazon asking for the item to be returned otherwise I would be charged. I called them and advised they said to keep it as goodwill and I had now sold it, they then cancelled the return request

After selling the goodwill gesture one, fees and delivery I think it cost me just less than £10
Wow, very nice price then! It looks like it's on sale now too. Might have bitten at the current price, but may have needed to fork out for a better charger to make the most of it. £10 is quite a bargain :D

Soldato
Wow, very nice price then! It looks like it's on sale now too. Might have bitten at the current price, but may have needed to fork out for a better charger to make the most of it. £10 is quite a bargain :D
Yeh, tenner wasnt a bad deal :D
For £55 you can get this 'apple 140w usb-c power adapter whit Charge Cable 2 M' from fleabay.
Mine arrived last week - both the 140W charger and USB C cable are new, sealed.

Note though that the Apple 2m charge cable is 'only' rated up to 100W. The short one supplied with the Anker charger pulls 134W

sex1Zvfh.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Charmast 100W works perfectly with my SD and charges at 45W too. Usually about 35-40 quid. Probably not really 20000mAh but easily charges the SD whilst gaming on it.

Last edited:
Associate
I purchased Titanfall 2 off the steam store last night for £2.49 after having to sort the nasty EA Play App I was in and my word does this look crisp on the SD!
It's such a good game, and looks great on the deck, for that price is well worth dealing with the EA app.

Last edited:
Soldato
What is idle drain like on these battery packs?
I wondered the same.
Mines been on 100% sat on my desk for around 5 days now - so pretty good! Guess it will eventually drop my 1% but might be waiting a while.
I do check the screen quite a lot though, so that'll probably be the thing that drains it, rather than idle drain - technically it's not idle if i'm turning it on once or twice a day

Soldato
I wondered the same.
Mines been on 100% sat on my desk for around 5 days now - so pretty good! Guess it will eventually drop my 1% but might be waiting a while.
I do check the screen quite a lot though, so that'll probably be the thing that drains it, rather than idle drain - technically it's not idle if i'm turning it on once or twice a day
Its not terrible then.

Soldato
Its not terrible then.
Nope. Must be almost a week, maybe 8 days since I charged it and still showing 100%
My other Anker (Anker 325 Power Bank (PowerCore 20K) ) sat in my draw at one point fully charged for maybe a month or 2. I grabbed it for travels thinking it would be maybe 1/4 battery left and it still had 4/4. It seems Anker batteries tend to hold their charge quite well

Back
Top Bottom