*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Does look pretty cool, but was so hard to prise my backplate off last time, also with screws so fragile and prone to stripping I dont think I will bother.

Associate
How easy it is to fit? Any soldering involved?

and Link please?

Simplest thing to change and no soldering, just unscrew the existing back plate, snap the new one on and screw the new one in its place. The original type of flat back buttons are already screwed onto the replacement back plate but I prefer the slightly longer ones that stick out more, kind of like the Xbox Elite controller. Comes with different button sizes so you can try different ones if you want. Just need to unscrew them and screw the new ones on.

I just use the original screws, between changing the paste multiple times, SSD twice, replacing backplates and thumbsticks I must have taken the back of about 10 times, original screws are still in perfect condition.

They even do the back plate with RGB lights now but I just have the normal one.

Soldato
Is the fan grill really not centred on the fan? :/
Looks like it is centred on the case screw holes, which is probably wise as it if was centred on the fan the edge of grill hole would be very close to the case hole and be at more risk of a fatigue crack starting there.

Associate
Anyone else out there daily driving the Steam Deck in desktop mode as their primary "PC"?
I use the Deck as my primary PC these days because it's so quiet. I don't use desktop mode as it's a bit too restrictive for my use case, unless I disable read-only which I don't want to do.

Instead, I upgraded the SSD to a 2TB and have it as a tri-boot (SteamOS, Windows 11, Arch Linux). I'm currently using Valve's Neptune 6.1 kernel on Arch as it already has the fan control enabled thus behaves the same way as in SteamOS. I found the fan started up quite often with just the standard Linux kernel which was slightly annoying when not exactly pushing the hardware. It is possible to expose the fan control functionality by applying a patch and compiling the kernel, but can't be bothered with that and Valves 6 kernels are fine anyway.

Associate
I use the Deck as my primary PC these days because it's so quiet. I don't use desktop mode as it's a bit too restrictive for my use case, unless I disable read-only which I don't want to do.

Instead, I upgraded the SSD to a 2TB and have it as a tri-boot (SteamOS, Windows 11, Arch Linux). I'm currently using Valve's Neptune 6.1 kernel on Arch as it already has the fan control enabled thus behaves the same way as in SteamOS. I found the fan started up quite often with just the standard Linux kernel which was slightly annoying when not exactly pushing the hardware. It is possible to expose the fan control functionality by applying a patch and compiling the kernel, but can't be bothered with that and Valves 6 kernels are fine anyway.
Nice. I had full intentions of installing Windows, but tried out desktop mode and never looked back.

I run 2 27inch 1440p monitors from it and have no issues. The only limitation is that I enjoy playing online poker and I can't find any of the major poker sites that have clients for linux - but other than that, my use case is mostly web-browsing and discord.

Associate
If your going to be playing some of the more demanding games on it I'd recommend a bigger nvme so both game and shader cache can be stored on it
Appreciate the info! I'm planning to upgrade the internal storage to at least 512gb, and most likely have a decent sized SD card for retro stuff.

Back
Top Bottom