*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
I'm using emudeck with amiga games currently, and it doesnt fill the screen like that. I'll have to check this out
Emudeck uses PUAE which is based on WinUAE. I couldnt find where to easily get into the config though to see any of the setup (like F12 on WinUAE) so sacked it off qucikly as need to get to controls, hard drive, floppy drive, filters etc.
I have R5 set to F12 and L5 set to delete to exit a game quickly. A is Joystick fine and B is second fire. R1, R1 at left and right alt for pinball games. L2 and R2 as left and right mouse click.
Right trackpad is mouse and left trackpad is a virtual touchpad with Y, N, cursor keys and F1-F4. I might change that to include all functions keys.

I've shared the layout 'WinUAE joystick & kb' by guest22222 :)

Associate
Anyone tried Baldur's Gate 3 on Steam Deck? It works, but I think I need to tweak settings.
Yes! Almost exclusively on Deck.

I admit I'm very framerate tolerant, to the point that I don't even put the framerate overlay on any more, but my settings are:

Triple buffering, Framerate cap off, FSR Quality

Model Quality High, Shadow Quality High, Cloud Quality Ultra, Filtering Anisotropic x16, Instance Distance High, Fog Quality Ultra, Detail Distance High, Animation Detail High

Sharpness about 75%, No Antialiasing, Occlusion On, DOF Circular, DOF Quality Quarter Denoise, Godrays On, Bloom On, Subsurface Scattering On, Slow HDD mode Off, Dynamic Crowds On.

Image can look very cispy, with a bit of texture graining, but I'm old enough that my eyes have built-in antialising :D

Associate
I picked up Jupiter Hell yesterday and have played a number of hours already. Seems like a simple and quite addictive rogue like that seems like a perfect match for the deck. Controller support and all.

Associate
For anyone who had an Amiga, AmigaVision (MegaAGS) is a must.

Simply grab the MegaAGS.hdf and MegaAGS-Saves.hdf files.
Add MegaAGS-Saves.hdf as DH0 and MegaAGS.hdf as DH1 in latest WinUAE hard drives then boot it up.
I personally set an A1200 config, set to A1200 speed with filter on automatic scaling and scanline opacity on 30.

The frontend is much better than manually setting up Workbench with RTG and iGame as I did.
It runs really well set to A1200 (14Mhz) This means no changing settings from fastest CPU which breaks many games but then is still fast enough for the frontend. Designed for FPGA and real hardware but runs incredibly well on the Steam Deck too.

9MFSC5Ih.jpg

8mclIOdh.jpg

5PVCBWsh.jpg

Edit - Make sure to NOT enable 24 bit addressing on the CPU and FPU settings. This will remove Z3 fast RAM which is required for the Workbench config to run WHDLoad.
Are you using WinUAE in Windows dual boot, or native Steam OS?

Soldato
Are you using WinUAE in Windows dual boot, or native Steam OS?
WinUAE on native Steam OS (in game mode) That way the controls are much easier to configure, press steam button and setup as needed.
Using Windows (have it on a seperate SD card) the control customisation is a right ball ache.

The only annoying thing about WinUAE in game mode is the virtual keybaord that likes to flash up a few times. The virtual keyboard on Deck is aweful - definately the worst thing about the device.
Even using Windows on Deck the virtual keyboard and touchscreen is much more responsive. I read somewhere why this is (Linux software is bad for keyboard OSD) I cant remember the technical reason.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any of you guys dabble with Moonlight on the Deck to stream games from your powerful gaming PC to the deck? I was giving the native Steam streaming a go on my Deck over the weekend but found it a bit sketchy, and downright incompatible with some games, so did some more googling and came across Moonlight. Works like a charm for getting pretty much anything which runs on your Windows PC with its RTX4090 or whatever, and stream it to the Deck. Moonlight is touted as being better due to reduced input lag compared to Steam remote streaming, and also as I mention it will stream absolutely anything on your Windows PC, one means of getting Game Pass games more easily on to your Deck I've heard is one use case. That and being able to use the all the Steam Deck controls. Maybe not so useful when you're out and about and not on your home network, but for mobile gaming around the house it works great. Maybe its me being a luddite and not trying streaming things from one device to another before, or even remote access for that matter, so maybe this is old news to most, but I could get used to this, especially when trying emulators that the Deck simply does not have enough grunt for. Also because it is only streaming it uses minimal watts, so battery can last much longer.

Soldato
Any of you guys dabble with Moonlight on the Deck to stream games from your powerful gaming PC to the deck? I was giving the native Steam streaming a go on my Deck over the weekend but found it a bit sketchy, and downright incompatible with some games, so did some more googling and came across Moonlight. Works like a charm for getting pretty much anything which runs on your Windows PC with its RTX4090 or whatever, and stream it to the Deck. Moonlight is touted as being better due to reduced input lag compared to Steam remote streaming, and also as I mention it will stream absolutely anything on your Windows PC, one means of getting Game Pass games more easily on to your Deck I've heard is one use case. That and being able to use the all the Steam Deck controls. Maybe not so useful when you're out and about and not on your home network, but for mobile gaming around the house it works great. Maybe its me being a luddite and not trying streaming things from one device to another before, or even remote access for that matter, so maybe this is old news to most, but I could get used to this, especially when trying emulators that the Deck simply does not have enough grunt for. Also because it is only streaming it uses minimal watts, so battery can last much longer.
Moonlight has always been one of the best, I've been using it too and use it if I want to focus on the graphics for a particular game. I'm also using chiaki4deck to stream my PS5 to the Deck as well for PS exclusive games.

Just a heads up, Nvidia might be retiring GameStream (the host part of moonlight) in GFE soon, but there is a replacement called Sunshine: https://github.com/LizardByte/Sunshine

I don't have GFE installed so I've been using this instead, haven't had any issues even with 1440p 60fps streaming. Plus it works with other GPUs too so you're not locked to Nvidia.

Associate
Moonlight has always been one of the best, I've been using it too and use it if I want to focus on the graphics for a particular game. I'm also using chiaki4deck to stream my PS5 to the Deck as well for PS exclusive games.

Just a heads up, Nvidia might be retiring GameStream (the host part of moonlight) in GFE soon, but there is a replacement called Sunshine: https://github.com/LizardByte/Sunshine

I don't have GFE installed so I've been using this instead, haven't had any issues even with 1440p 60fps streaming. Plus it works with other GPUs too so you're not locked to Nvidia.
Yes this is all I've used and it's pretty decent. The downside is setup. It's a lot more work than using steam remote play. I'm also not sure if I notice any huge difference in visual quality over remote play, but I've not tried streaming to anything other than the deck and it's great having options!

If you go down this route there's a plugin for decky:
It has a companion app for your server:

All is explained from the plugin once installed.

Last edited:
Associate
Also if you do happen to want to change the resolution with launch scripts this is only useful for first party steam games.
If you want to launch a non steam game through steam (to make use of steam input) you are unable to run an exit script to revert the resolution change because the game must be launched using a detached command. This means that sunshine can't tell when the game has truly exited to run the script at the correct time.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I took your advice @Guest2 and bought the stand and Anker hub you recommended. Very happy with it!
Had a voucher for the rainforest so got myself the Logitech Pebble Mouse & the K380S keyboard from Vinted (Brand New!)
ev1O75F.jpeg
Great setup. Also, I hate this forum. I went past a high street retailer and bought a 'LOGITECH Pebble M350 Wireless Optical Mouse - White' for £17.97.
Tested it and seems great quality for the price

Seen here next to the USB Hub

0EOeNwR.jpg

@partycan I think you need these back buttons next :D - they do work well for the cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah Moonlight is great.

A top tip for 'framepacing' and overall gameplay smoothness though if streaming from your gaming PC to the deck via Moonlight.....

Your PC's monitor is likely above 60hz these days and will be running the game above the 60hz limit of the deck's screen too. As such you don't get ultra smooth motion when streaming to the deck's screen. Note: The deck's built in frame limiter will have no effect when you are streaming to it, and the screen does not have VRR.

Best solution I use is to set up RTSS on your PC and create a hotkey for a 60fps limit. Then on deck in the Moonlight app itself, customise the controls for the app and map a back button on the deck to the 60fps RTSS hotkey. For games that don't have the appropriate options to limit fps or screen Hz it works a treat and you get ultra smooth 60fps streaming, assuming your PC can maintain 60fps at all times of course.

Last edited:
Soldato
With the size of some of the more recent CoD patches, that might give you enough space for another game*.

*Indie game only.
My COD has been running an update for 'prerelease content' now for days. I dont even know what the content is! Thanks Battle.net

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom