*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
I've had my Steam Deck a few days now, and I always use my mobile hotspot to download games on my desktop PC, as it's much faster than my home broadband connection and I have unlimited data on 5G (I'm on EE). I get about 7MB/s on my home broadband, but connected to my mobile I get about 80MB/s.

I've tried using my mobile hotspot with the Steam Deck to download, but it's very slow compared to my PC, for example I get a maximum of about 13MB/s when downloading on the Steam Deck.

I've disabled Wi-Fi power management, tried adding a download speed limit (10000000), tried switching my hotspot between 2.4GHz and 5GHz, tried changing download servers, tried amending the connection settings in desktop mode (wlan0 and 8.8.8.8), but nothing is working and my speeds aren't getting any faster.

I have the 64GB version of the Steam Deck, but I've upgraded the SSD to a Sabrent Rocket 2230 1TB Nvme, and I don't have a micro SD card installed.

Any ideas on how to fix this and improve my download speeds please?

Soldato
If you can't get a better wifi connection then your option is to get a USB C hub with an ethernet port. A quick scan on Amazon just now found one for £13, looks to be quite a good one too with HDMI, multiple card slots and power delivery.

Soldato
Steam Deck OLED

'This item is not available in your country' boooooo (Available in the United States and Canada, in limited quantities.)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I understand this version (OLED) has a die shrink. So in theory will run cooler.
I've just looked at the list of tweaks and it's quite impressive actually.

Faster RAM.
Quieter.
Better battery life.
Quicker resume.
Lighter.
Better speakers.
Faster charging.

Screw it, take my money if it comes to the UK.

Seems a missed opportunity not to have slapped the 8 core/improved GPU APU the Lenovo/ROG use however.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Valve - "hold my beer!"

General:
  • Updated APU to 6 nm for better efficiency
  • Updated memory to 6400 MT/s, improving latency and power management
  • Increased thermal module thickness and performance
Updated Display:
  • Increased active area to 7.4" (from 7.0")
  • Updated refresh rate to 90Hz (from 60Hz)
  • Updated peak brightness to 1000 nits
  • Updated touchscreen polling rate to 180Hz, improved latency and accuracy
  • Updated WiFi / Bluetooth module
  • Added support for WiFi 6E
  • Added support for Bluetooth 5.3, supporting newer codecs such as aptX HD and aptX low-latency
  • Added third antenna near the top of the device for better Bluetooth performance, including when docked
  • Added support for wake from Bluetooth controllers
Audio:
  • Improved bass response for an overall flatter sound profile
  • Added support for using onboard microphone array simultaneously with the 3.5mm headphones connector
Controls:
  • Adjusted analog stick top material and shape for increased grip and dust build-up resistance
  • Adjusted analog stick post material to improve interaction feel with front cover and reduce wear
  • Improved reliability of analog stick touch detection
  • Improved responsiveness and tactility of shoulder buttons switch mechanism
  • Adjusted D-pad snap ratio and diagonal interactions
  • Redesigned trackpad for improved fidelity and edge detection
  • Greatly improved trackpad haptics feel and precision
Power:
  • Improved battery capacity from 40Wh to 50Wh
  • Improved battery chemistry for faster charging, from 20% to 80% in as little as 45 minutes
  • Changed charging LED to WRGB
  • Added support for waking up from initial unboxing by long-pressing power button instead of requiring AC power
  • Adjusted power supply cable length from 1.5m to 2.5m
  • Added logo to power supply
Frame:
  • Reduced total system weight to ~640g, or ~5% less than Steam Deck
  • Rear cover screws now thread into metal
  • Adjusted rear cover screw heads to Torx™, as well as other materials and geometry tweaks on the heads to reduce stripping risk
  • Lowered number of screw types throughout system
  • Reduced step count required for common repairs
  • Improved bumper switch mechanism drop reliability
  • Moved bumper switch to joystick board for easier repair
  • Improved display repair/replacement to not require taking rear cover off
Software:
  • Greatly improved memory power management firmware
  • Added preliminary support for open-source BIOS and EC firmware
  • Improved resume time by roughly 30%

Soldato
I've just looked at the list of tweaks and it's quite impressive actually.

Faster RAM.
Quieter.
Better battery life.
Quicker resume.
Lighter.
Better speakers.
Faster charging.

Screw it, take my money if it comes to the UK.

Seems a missed opportunity not to have slapped the 8 core/improved GPU APU the Lenovo/ROG use however.

Faster ram = steamdeck OLED runs games 10% faster than lcd model

Other improvements: faster wifi, 180hz polling rate touchscreen, better haptic motors, new speakers with more bass

Last edited:
Soldato
Valve has done a great job with the weight, I dunno how they did it but it's a great job

The steamdeck has: larger fans than previous model, larger thermal cooling plate than previous model, 25% larger battery than previous model, larger screen than previous model, more antennas than previous model

And despite everything getting bigger the weight is down by 5%

Last edited:
Soldato
'This item is not available in your country' boooooo (Available in the United States and Canada, in limited quantities.)

Where does it say that? I’m getting UK prices with a release date of 16th November.

Is the new OLED screen anti reflective or is this not something to worry about with OLED?

EDIT: Website has either updated or I missed it. Need a premium model for non reflective, same as last time

Last edited:
Soldato
Where does it say that? I’m getting UK prices with a release date of 16th November.

Is the new OLED screen anti reflective or is this not something to worry about with OLED?

EDIT: Website has either updated or I missed it. Need a premium model for non reflective, same as last time

I would go for the non anti reflective screen based on this review

Back
Top Bottom