*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
The OLED special edition is nice.

As someone who not long bought into the Steam Deck this is annoying but also OK news (i.e. no changing of the base specs).

I did see they have discounted the old, to be discontinued 64gb & 512gb LCD models too. The 512gb discount looks like the biggest yet at £389.

Although there is some nice QoL improvements I'm not sure it's enough for me to go through the hassle of trading up atm.

Soldato
Is Linux less secure than windows?

I noticed one of the reviews mentioned how Fortnite, Destiny 2 and Warzone still can't be played on the Steamdeck and with some of these it's because the anti cheat system can't do what it wants to do in the OS and the the case of Destiny 2, there is a work around to force the game to work but it will get you banned by Bungie for bypassing the block they have to stop Steam OS gamers from playing Destiny 2

Soldato

I noticed one of the reviews mentioned how Fortnite, Destiny 2 and Warzone still can't be played on the Steamdeck and with some of these it's because the anti cheat system can't do what it wants to do in the OS and the the case of Destiny 2, there is a work around to force the game to work but it will get you banned by Bungie for bypassing the block they have to stop Steam OS gamers from playing Destiny 2
No, it's 100x more secure.

You can use Lutris for certain launchers - GOG, Epic and a few others

Its safer that the program cant do what it want in the OS. Wine / Proton allows the launcher which given them access to the area installed on the deck, but only that area (like containerisation)

Last edited:
Soldato

LOL no its not. its more secure infact!

Associate
I really want that new OLED deck, as I put a 2TB in my current one hopefully it will be as easy as removing the SSD from the old model, put it in the new one and boot straight up, hopefully its that easy. The overall shell looking at Linus video is identical so hopefully even the Jsaux back panels still fit.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, it's 100x more secure.

You can use Lutris for certain launchers - GOG, Epic and a few others

Its safer that the program cant do what it want in the OS. Wine / Proton allows the launcher which given them access to the area installed on the deck, but only that area (like containerisation)

I guess I should add more explanation to the question.

Is it less secure for hackers, is it easier for hackers to run cheats for games? If it's not then it's kind of stupid to try and ban players

Associate
Looking at the prices I could get for my current deck it would be about a £180 upgrade if I sell mine at a local store and pick up the 1TB model (really want that anti glare screen again), bit less if I sold online but not worth the risk. Think I'm going to do it as that I really want that OLED, plus faster Wi-Fi, newer bluetooth, die shrink so hopefully better stock thermals, longer battery life and it seems all accessories should still work fine.

Wonder how much supply they will have because I can see these selling out fast.

Last edited:
Soldato

Is it less secure for hackers, is it easier for hackers to run cheats for games? If it's not then it's kind of stupid to try and ban players
No, harder.
Some anti cheat like RICOCHET required admin perms on the fike system to run and other things not supported on linux. You can always just run windows on an external ssd or micro sd card instead.

Soldato

No you get issues with anti-cheat because of the translation layer which enables the Linux system to run windows games. The anti-cheat system can't tell the difference between the translation layer and someone putting something between the game and the PC's drivers on windows to cheat in the game. They both look effectively the same, it assumes you are cheating and bans you.

Soldato
Also well played Valve on the Steam Deck OLED, they have effectively raised the base price to £480 as no one is going to want the OG 256GB version for £350.

Back
Top Bottom