*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Also well played Valve on the Steam Deck OLED, they have effectively raised the base price to £480 as no one is going to want the OG 256GB version for £350.

I was thinking this too, in that it might make the DIY upgrade route less appealing, although there will always be those who might not be able afford or want the OLED version. I suppose there's still a small question mark over the screen and things like image retention/screen burn and whether that might be an issue with people permanently running FPS indicators etc. Unlikely I know, particularly when similar concerns over the Switch OLED never really came to fruition.

Certainly there's more of a reason to buy the more expensive version now.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lol. People kept telling me we won't get an upgrade or OLED for a longtime. Muahahaha!

Might order one to see what's what :D

Soldato
Also well played Valve on the Steam Deck OLED, they have effectively raised the base price to £480 as no one is going to want the OG 256GB version for £350.

Both of the clearance models are still available 14 hours after receiving price cuts. What more needs to be said? :p

Soldato
I was thinking this too, in that it might make the DIY upgrade route less appealing, although there will always be those who might not be able afford or want the OLED version. I suppose there's still a small question mark over the screen and things like image retention/screen burn and whether that might be an issue with people permanently running FPS indicators etc. Unlikely I know, particularly when similar concerns over the Switch OLED never really came to fruition.

Certainly there's more of a reason to buy the more expensive version now.
LTT have suggested the source for the screen is likely to be the same as the Switch in that they are extremely similar. There are only so many OLED manufacturers at the end of the day.

To be honest, on a handled, I’d not be worried about burn in at all. It’s not like you are going to be doing mammoth gaming sessions on it or looking at an excel spreadsheet for hours.

Also why do people run FPS counters all the time, sure I get it while you are dialling in settings, but after then? Not sure. Your meant to enjoy playing games and not sit there doing benchmarking all evening.

Soldato
Anyone got any idea what an original 256gb Deck would be worth or what I should be asking for it? Going to sell and upgrade, a friend want's to buy this one I have and i don't want to rip him off.

Am I allowed to ask this here or do I need to post in the MM?

Soldato
Anyone got any idea what an original 256gb Deck would be worth or what I should be asking for it? Going to sell and upgrade, a friend want's to buy this one I have and i don't want to rip him off.

Depends where you sell it and what someone is willing to pay for it. Condition, accessories and whats installed might increase or decrease the cost.
Can't you just check ebay completed items?
Wish they'd have made another 64GB variant for OLED. As I have a 64GB 1st gen with 1TB SSD & 512GB microSD. Means I have to jump up to the 512GB SSD version.
Same boat, i'll probably get the 512GB, sell my 256GB Deck 1.0 and use the 512GB in and external enclosure for transferring data and/or Windows 10.
Will stick my 2TB drive into the new OLED deck and 1TB SD card into the slot.

This is presuming I get one (or they're available and dont all sell out to bots in seconds)

Have Valve introduced anything such as needing a valid Steam account to buy one or a Steam account thats been created say a year or more ago?
Would be nice if companies valued customer loyalty instead of all the products getting flipped on eBay for £1000 by scalpers after bot purchases.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is Linux less secure than windows?

I noticed one of the reviews mentioned how Fortnite, Destiny 2 and Warzone still can't be played on the Steamdeck and with some of these it's because the anti cheat system can't do what it wants to do in the OS and the the case of Destiny 2, there is a work around to force the game to work but it will get you banned by Bungie for bypassing the block they have to stop Steam OS gamers from playing Destiny 2
Linux gives cheaters the ability to cheat that can not be detected.

Associate
LTT have suggested the source for the screen is likely to be the same as the Switch in that they are extremely similar. There are only so many OLED manufacturers at the end of the day.

To be honest, on a handled, I’d not be worried about burn in at all. It’s not like you are going to be doing mammoth gaming sessions on it or looking at an excel spreadsheet for hours.

Also why do people run FPS counters all the time, sure I get it while you are dialling in settings, but after then? Not sure. Your meant to enjoy playing games and not sit there doing benchmarking all evening.
Makes sense re: the screen.

I have to be honest since I've got mine I have had the performance overlay on that setting where it just goes along the top of the screen (a lot). It can be quite interesting watching the overall wattage or making adjustments to games to reduce that figure. But as you say no need to leave it on. That said I bet there are!

Associate
Depends where you sell it and what someone is willing to pay for it. Condition, accessories and whats installed might increase or decrease the cost.
Can't you just check ebay completed items?

Same boat, i'll probably get the 512GB, sell my 256GB Deck 1.0 and use the 512GB in and external enclosure for transferring data and/or Windows 10.
Will stick my 2TB drive into the new OLED deck and 1TB SD card into the slot.

This is presuming I get one (or they're available and dont all sell out to bots in seconds)

Have Valve introduced anything such as needing a valid Steam account to buy one or a Steam account thats been created say a year or more ago?
Would be nice if companies valued customer loyalty instead of all the products getting flipped on eBay for £1000 by scalpers after bot purchases.

In an interview Valve done with one of the big YouTubers that I watched yesterday, they said that they don't expect to have issues with supply like they did previously with the worldwide shortages going on. So hopefully it's a non-issue :)

Soldato

£250 would seem fair to me. I can't see anyone paying more than that for a used 256GB now. If anything, I'd expect it to drop lower after the OLED consoles are out in the wild and more people look to shift their old units.

Back
Top Bottom