*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Not really any extra performance on offer so I'm not particularly bothered about having the old version. Sure an OLED upgrade would be really nice but I'd rather get more performance so I'll be more interested in a Deck 2 in a couple of years :)

Soldato
Shame how they shafted a lot of their customers with an unexpected mid generation update. The thing wouldn't get any use from me but at £309 for the 64gb it seems like a nice bit of kit. Almost £500 for the OLED is losing me a little I'm not sure what market such an expensive thing is aimed at.
It's not really a fair comparison - really the comparison is the 512gb LCD version with the OLED. In that context given the die shrink, the larger OLED screen, and the battery improvement, the OLED is a no brainer for about £100 more

How is it shafting customers? People who bought the old one did so at the time for what they considered a worthwhile purchase. Yes, if I'd bought an old one last week I'd be annoyed and would ask about returning it, but if I'd had one for a few months then I can't see the problem

Last edited:
Associate
it looks good. I bought the 64gb on an offer for £315. this is probably about all i would pay for something like this. It doesnt get a lot of use, but i really like the deck. I have a 512GB SD card for games, and i dont really need any more than that.

The oled version looks great, but with no £350 or less version, i probably wouldnt bother personally.

Soldato
This has to be the biggest refresh to a handheld device ever without classing itself as a second version/2.0?

Better screen
Better thumb sticks
Better shoulder buttons
Better speakers?
Better chip
Better battery
Better memory
Better cooling/noise level
Lower weight

I'd rather it be slightly more powerful and expensive though to try and hold 40fps/80hz locked in more demanding titles. The difference between 30 and 40 fps even on sticks is hugely noticeable to the point that I still find 30fps unplayable now.

Associate
They’ve changed or improved almost everything, only thing they really haven’t done is put a faster chip in it. For a refresh it’s a huge change.

Just wish that translucent special edition was permanent, as that looks great.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Thought about it. Shall either grab a refurb 64gb version £249 or wait a while and get a refurb OLED :cry:

If I buy now I simply won't have no time to play other than to satisfy curiosity and tinker.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This has to be the biggest refresh to a handheld device ever without classing itself as a second version/2.0?

Better screen
Better thumb sticks
Better shoulder buttons
Better speakers?
Better chip
Better battery
Better memory
Better cooling/noise level
Lower weight

I'd rather it be slightly more powerful and expensive though to try and hold 40fps/80hz locked in more demanding titles. The difference between 30 and 40 fps even on sticks is hugely noticeable to the point that I still find 30fps unplayable now.

Yes, basically new internals, new screens, everything but the Ghz for the processor and it's form factor.

It is a nice preview into the next iteration of the console.

Soldato

I'm being a grammar nob, If you won't have no time, that means you have time.

Thinking about it I'm a bit annoyed at the refresh but I'll bite the bullet, the thing is do we all rush and buy the OLED Deck, and then a year later valve then releases a new version with upgraded APU?

Could do, like the people waiting since 2018 for the 'Switch Pro'.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I buy now I simply won't have no time to play other than to satisfy curiosity and tinker.

This is what I spend most my time doing!

Anyone know if there's a way to create a blank Steam deck image to copy to an SSD? I would like to image an external SSD with a fresh SteamOS without sticking it inside the deck. (256GB 2230 SSD)
I bought an external enclosure and am currently cloning an SD card with Windows 10 on it to the SSD. Might aswell tinker and try and get a blank SteamOS image on it at some point

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Having bought the old one then sold it shortly after, im in no rush to buy the refresh but i do love the OLED upgrade and the larger screen with better battery life all at the same price is pretty darn good imo.

Back
Top Bottom