*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Feel for the people who recently got the 256/512 gig LCD model, luckily I got the 64 gig version which was only bumped to 256 gig so dont feel too hard done by, but if I had gone with a new 256/512 (in September when I got mine) I would have pulled all the stops in returning it for an OLED model.

For me ironically the nicest improvements are the battery life and wifi upgrade, dont care for 90hz, but the LCD contrast I expect would look nice.

Remain happy with my £350 purchase though, amazing value, and now we know they had those supply issues, was busy manufacturing newer models. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't see why not? The better question would be, will they still offer an lcd version. They may to hit a lower price point maybe. Or just keep base model OLED as cheap as possible by benefiting from economies of scale and only needing to design one version.
I think sales numbers will decide that, if the LCD continues to sell, they will probably keep the same approach on a steam deck 2, I think they said its multiple years away though?

Soldato
FWIW, I bought a 512Gb model last year and play it just about every day. I‘m tempted by the new model but I was thinking last night that there’s nothing wrong with the screen and it’s nice and bright as it is

Soldato
FWIW, I bought a 512Gb model last year and play it just about every day. I‘m tempted by the new model but I was thinking last night that there’s nothing wrong with the screen and it’s nice and bright as it is

The brightness isn't really the 'point' of the OLED though. However as you said, if you're happy with it then all good :)

Last edited:
Soldato

And if you install the Vibrantdeck plugin from Decky, then you can make the screen more vivid anyway.

Associate
I want a steam deck that has a 15" screen, runs windows, has a 3070Ti, 1TB SSD, and a 12700K powering it.

Oh wait, I have a lappy that does that.
I'm pretty much the same. Anywhere away from my gaming PC, I'm fine with a laptop setup. That said I do appreciate the shiny OLED screen. If there was more power in it maybe but I think I'll wait to see how the next one pans out.

Soldato
q3H9nqY.png

Eh?

Soldato
I'm pretty much the same. Anywhere away from my gaming PC, I'm fine with a laptop setup. That said I do appreciate the shiny OLED screen. If there was more power in it maybe but I think I'll wait to see how the next one pans out.

Yeh, same here.

I don't need a handheld PC, but I'd still like to play around with one.

Do want one that runs Windows natively though.

Associate
Yeh, same here.

I don't need a handheld PC, but I'd still like to play around with one.

Do want one that runs Windows natively though.
It'd be nice if they got Windows in a place that worked better in the handheld PC space. The ROG Ally and similar handheld reviews always complain about Windows and compare it to how well the Steam OS works.

Soldato
) I would have pulled all the stops in returning it for an OLED model.

I hate this attitude. You were content at the time of purchasing so something new come out and it got your knickers in a twist.

If they upped the price but kept everything the same, would you be screaming at Valve to let you pay them the extra money?

Soldato
I hate this attitude. You were content at the time of purchasing so something new come out and it got your knickers in a twist.

If they upped the price but kept everything the same, would you be screaming at Valve to let you pay them the extra money?
Content without knowledge though. You basically saying ignorance makes it ok.

If it was pre announced they in the works (I expect they didnt to not devalue existing stock), or existing stock pre discounted to account for whats coming then I agree with you.

I am still content with my purchase, as luckily it was the £350 model which hasnt really changed by any significance.

--

I suppose to try and make you get it, is what would you feel, if you went to a shop to buy something, but you were not allowed to see the price of the alternatives or at any competitors, so you had to make a purchase decision without knowing what your other options are. So instead of either buy this 512 gig LCD steam deck, buy the ally, or buy nothing, you had the knowledge of an extra option of waiting a bit and buying this OLED variant instead for pretty much the same price, with upgraded internals to boot. How many would wait instead and get better value?

You dont have to agree with it, but dont hate on people who dont like this sort of thing happening.

Last edited:
Soldato
Content without knowledge though. You basically saying ignorance makes it ok.

If it was pre announced they in the works (I expect they didnt to not devalue existing stock), or existing stock pre discounted to account for whats coming then I agree with you.

I am still content with my purchase, as luckily it was the £350 model which hasnt really changed by any significance.

--

I suppose to try and make you get it, is what would you feel, if you went to a shop to buy something, but you were not allowed to see the price of the alternatives or at any competitors, so you had to make a purchase decision without knowing what your other options are. So instead of either buy this 512 gig LCD steam desk, buy the ally, or buy nothing, you had the knowledge of an extra option of waiting a bit and buying this OLED variant instead for pretty much the same price, with upgraded internals to boot. How many would wait instead and get better value?

You dont have to agree with it, but dont hate on people who dont like this sort of thing happening.

Like I said, if they upped the price, would you offer to send them money?

Soldato
Like I said, if they upped the price, would you offer to send them money?
The response means you havent really accepted the point I was making.

When they up the price, they know they are going to do it whilst also selling me at the lower price, I dont. Likewise whilst they are manufacturing these on product lines, they know they are hitting the stores at some point whilst consumers buying the existing units dont know they coming. (although in some markets they do as manufacturers leak whats coming Like GPU, console, phone and CPU markets, in those cases the consumer is more informed).

A more reasonable response from you perhaps would be would I offer to pay a proper amount if I managed to get something cheaper because of an error I didnt inform them about.

To be fair I think valve will work with consumers who purchased a new 256/512 recently and now want the OLED instead, e.g. they did give discounts to those who asked for one when they purchased very close to the discount period starting, they seem to be one of the more consumer friendly companies out there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep it should be available in the UK at some point. I think the new design is a very good place, and they still keep the old one at 256gig for those with a tight budget as well.

Back
Top Bottom