*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Not sure whether to go anti glare or not this time, I love it on my current deck but on the OLED this could mess with the black levels as roughly shown in this video by putting a glass screen protector on.

Storage isn’t an issue as I would be transferring my 2TB drive so I’m paying around £100 for anti glare. Still a few days to pick plus I’d be saving money with the regular OLED screen.

Last edited:

img

img

Associate
I am hoping for some good deals on people upgrading unless you can tell me the hardware needs the warranty really...

Soldato
I am hoping for some good deals on people upgrading unless you can tell me the hardware needs the warranty really...
I bought mine second hand from these forums.

There was an issue with USB boot, Valve replaced it with a brand new deck (not even refurb)

Valve support is incredible.

Soldato
I've previously held back getting a Steam Deck in the hope that Valve would release a revision update with an improved display. This is a big update to the hardware. The tear down video by Gamers Nexus shows a completely redesigned board with less components, really impressive.

I'm finally jumping in! Going for the 512GB model and have a 2TB WD SN740 drive on its way from China £109.

I was thinking of the 1TB with the etched display to begin with but I do think OLED displays look better in gloss. I don't have an issue with my Switch OLED being gloss, so I can't imagine it being an issue with the Steam Deck.

Soldato
Quite a bold claim

Will all of my accessories for Steam Deck still work with Steam Deck OLED?
Yes, there is no difference in accessory compatibility between Steam

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
It's a shame we won't be getting the limited edition over here :(
Never say never...

Think I read on the Steam page they may consider bringing out revised reversions with different casings and that.

So if they go into production I would imagine they will be out over here.

Unless I guess you mean the current one specifically.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the 512gb with anti glare but I actually put a dbrand screen protector over it. I'm going to upgrade, but I have two options:
  • The "base" 512gb OLED with the other dbrand screen protector I got with my killswitch, spending the £90 difference to the 1tb on a 2tb SN740 (which isn't much more)
  • Just grabbing the 1tb OLED and putting the screen protector on it as originally planned. Saves opening it up.

Soldato
To me, 2TB is much more useful than 1TB. I'll be going 512GB and sticking my 2TB drive straight in it. (If I can get one that is!)

I am interested to see a review of the standard 512GB OLED without the anti-glare etched glass. If it's mirror like, then it'll be 1TB for me then sell my LCD model with the new 1TB drive.

Please let me know if anyone has found a review of the standard 512GB OLED. I'm skeptical as to why only the 1TB has been released for review - could the 512GB be better without the etched glass, or maybe it's way more reflective.

Last edited:
Soldato
To me, 2TB is much more useful than 1TB. I'll be going 512GB and sticking my 2TB drive straight in it. (If I can get one that is!)

I am interested to see a review of the standard 512GB OLED without the anti-glare etched glass. If it's mirror like, then it'll be 1TB for me then sell my LCD model with the new 1TB drive.

Please let me know if anyone has found a review of the standard 512GB OLED. I'm skeptical as to why only the 1TB has been released for review - could the 512GB be better without the etched glass, or maybe it's way more reflective.
I don't think we are going to see any 512GB reviews until they start shipping. You are right that it seems all reviewers were provided the 1TB model.

The etched vs non etched is causing big debates all over the place, it's quite funny how many people are having melt downs on Reddit. I suspect it'll be as glossy the Switch OLED. Which really isn't an issue.

2TB will definitely be more useful was also my thinking. If I'm going to crack open the device for a storage upgrade, may as well do proper and once. I was totally against getting a SSD from China, until I saw the prices of 2TB here!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Speaking on the matt screen, do people not find the image more washed out? With glare I can just sit somewhere darker, with no light source in the reflection, and if there is, I can move. I can fix glare with where I am sitting. A matt screen gives a washed out image and it will always be washed out to me.

Soldato
I've never noticed any washed outness on my matte screen. I've always found it bright and vibrant though not eye searingly so. After spending a day trying to use an iPad screen in bright sunlight, I'll never go back to a non matte screen.

Soldato
@Raymond Lin there is a test by dave2d on YT that show him applying a gloss screen protector to a half of an etched display. There is a difference to the black level / contrast where the gloss screen is applied. The black level on the etched looks not as deep. This isn't really a true test of course and I want to see a side by side of the two actual units.

Associate
I love my matt deck, I never once thought it looks washed out and text still looks pretty sharp.

Just wish Valve didn’t send every reviewer the damn etched glass version. Looking at comparison of reviewers that have put the matt one next to the Switch OLED it still looks extremely good. I’m really 50/50 on which version to go for but I may end up with the matt again because it really cuts down on those reflections, plus it’s not a fingerprint magnet compared to a glossy screen so that’s another benefit.

Back
Top Bottom