*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
I don't think we are going to see any 512GB reviews until they start shipping. You are right that it seems all reviewers were provided the 1TB model.

The etched vs non etched is causing big debates all over the place, it's quite funny how many people are having melt downs on Reddit. I suspect it'll be as glossy the Switch OLED. Which really isn't an issue.

2TB will definitely be more useful was also my thinking. If I'm going to crack open the device for a storage upgrade, may as well do proper and once. I was totally against getting a SSD from China, until I saw the prices of 2TB here!

Exactly what I've decided to do. SN740 has already shipped, so going with 512gb oled to replace 512gb gen1; I imagine the members market is going to get swamped Thursday evening if people want to pick up a good deal!

Soldato
Exactly what I've decided to do. SN740 has already shipped, so going with 512gb oled to replace 512gb gen1; I imagine the members market is going to get swamped Thursday evening if people want to pick up a good deal!
This is exactly my conundrum. The Gen 1 is probably good enough for my use case, which is basically occasional use on trains etc, but I can afford the OLED and it looks so much better.

Caporegime
Am I the only one that has no interest in OLED? Every emissive display I've ever owned has suffered some form of burn in. For a device like this it's transmissive all the way for me.

Even your phone?

For a TV or monitor I can see a potential issue because you sit at your desk for 8 hrs, 12 hrs or 18hrs sessions, same icons in the same place in the same game or app.

For a handheld, you try hold that for 3, 5, or 10 hours....even if you play it plugged in, your arm is going to fall off. You are going to put it down to go eat or go to the toilet.

Handhelds are not a problem with OLED because of the nature of use, it is on/off regularly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Switch OLED had minor burn in after a 3600h test that didn't replicate real usage of course. I swear it's such an overblown concern (mainly by people who don't have OLED devices). Happily using OLED tv for jsut TV, OLED TV for my pc monitor, OLED handheld and phones. No issues so far and I check every few months.
The worry about it is not enough to stop me using a device that offers superior IQ.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got to wonder how quickly the OLED will sell out on Thursday and what the delivery lead time will be.

Kinda amazing that there were no leaks previous to the announcement.

Associate
I got to wonder how quickly the OLED will sell out on Thursday and what the delivery lead time will be.

Kinda amazing that there were no leaks previous to the announcement.
in the FAQ they do say they don't expect the long wait times that gen 1 experienced but like you i still think it will be sold out in minutes i also expect canada and usa to get the major portion of any stock availability

so i'd give it 10 minutes max before people go onto the queue system for delivery after christmas.

Associate
Even your phone?

For a TV or monitor I can see a potential issue because you sit at your desk for 8 hrs, 12 hrs or 18hrs sessions, same icons in the same place in the same game or app.

For a handheld, you try hold that for 3, 5, or 10 hours....even if you play it plugged in, your arm is going to fall off. You are going to put it down to go eat or go to the toilet.

Handhelds are not a problem with OLED because of the nature of use, it is on/off regularly.
Don't get your point around portable devices vs static. Burn in is total time logged, not session length.

Phones too. I keep my devices a long time, and my OLED Huawei has big distracting bands of burn in. Noticeable when watching videos.

Soldato
in the FAQ they do say they don't expect the long wait times that gen 1 experienced but like you i still think it will be sold out in minutes i also expect canada and usa to get the major portion of any stock availability

so i'd give it 10 minutes max before people go onto the queue system for delivery after christmas.
Yeah I'm hopeful post-covid that shipment is going to be quicker. I've kept onto mine for now (and will take the hit second hand sales wise) just in case I miss the initial batch.

Soldato
Am I the only one that has no interest in OLED? Every emissive display I've ever owned has suffered some form of burn in. For a device like this it's transmissive all the way for me.

The only thing I'd be remotely concerned with (and only longer term) would be having any kind of performance overlay enabled with a background of any shape and opacity as it's static and always there in a game unless disabled. I'd just use the overlay to setup the game then disable.

Soldato
I have a feeling they have seriously underestimated the demand for the both OLED models.
Should a be a betting man, I would say the OLED 512GB is sold out in 3-5 minutes and OLED 1TB sold out in 5-10 minutes. Well, sold out as in delivery 1-2 weeks instead of January 2024.

A lot more people are aware of the Steam deck now and know how Valve work in terms of support and fixing issues. It's a much more refined model with improvements in all areas except CPU and GPU grunt. It still wont be anywhere near Switch numbers but the sales for Deck OLED will be (IMO) higher than anticipated.

Soldato
I have a feeling they have seriously underestimated the demand for the both OLED models.
Should a be a betting man, I would say the OLED 512GB is sold out in 3-5 minutes and OLED 1TB sold out in 5-10 minutes. Well, sold out as in delivery 1-2 weeks instead of January 2024.

A lot more people are aware of the Steam deck now and know how Valve work in terms of support and fixing issues. It's a much more refined model with improvements in all areas except CPU and GPU grunt. It still wont be anywhere near Switch numbers but the sales for Deck OLED will be (IMO) higher than anticipated.
I'm not sure - it's still a fairly niche bit of kit, and many people with original Steam Decks won't upgrade (outside of us nerds on computer forums ;)). It's pretty uncommon for a mid gen refresh to sell out.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I am just going to grab a 64gb refurb for £249 and enjoy that until SteamDeck 2 I think.

Hopefully I can catch it when they release some before it sells out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom