*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Got my OLED today, downloading some of my existing games now onto it, played a bit of Trackmania and seems really nice so far. Not really sure how much use I'll get out of it normally as I'm a sad ******* sat in front of my PC 90% of the time :p But going on holiday next week so why not...

Anyway, thinking a screen protector might be an idea and seems the jsaux stuff gets an ok reccomendation and it comes with an applicator frame thingy for dummies like me. Question is, and probably a dumb one, I got the 1Tb deck with the etched screen fanciness but I'm assuming a screen protector basically overrides that with whatever it is (they offer gloss and a matt/anti-glare option)?
Yes, a gloss screen protector will make it just like a gloss screen.

Don’t get the JSAUX matte protector, it completely ruins the screen clarity. The brotect matte ones are decent, but aren’t tempered glass.

Soldato
My LCD vs OLED trajectory over the last week or so.

1)I never like selling tech kit due to the fear of getting an awkward sod who tries it on or scams. I somehow don't mind having piles of old mobo's, gpus, cpus etc, but an un-used Steam Deck seems daft, so will hang on to the LCD on that basis. Plus, they are bound to be out of stock for months, if not outright scalped.

2)Oh, so the OLED stock seems pretty good actually. But, nah I'm still ok with an LCD, I am almost certain to be scammed if I try to flog.

3)Hmm, they do seem to be raving about it don't they, Linus Tech Tips etc. But, nah still alright as is.

4)Oh, there seems to be different panel suppliers. Should I just get one immediately, assuming the best panels will be in the first batch? I could probably find someone local to flog the LCD to, or maybe the OCUK for sale forum will be OK after all?

5)Hang on, what if this OLED panel supplier thing is actually split on a region basis. Sod's Law Europe would get the naff panels. It's off again, at least until people post what panels they have.

6)Slight debacle over lack of vent smell!! No way, I'm out! Oh, it was a false alarm.

7)Chuffing eck, seems every other OLED has quite serious sounding QA issues. Pats LCD.

8)People seem to be returning them now as well. Will wait for an SD2 for definite now methinks.

True story.

Associate
First issue already encountered, could not connect to my wifi, either with or without 160mhz enabled.

Thankfully I have a dock with Ethernet, so now updating/installing via that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OLED is nice, very nice in fact, but unless you're looking at them side by side I really see no reason to upgrade as the LCD panel looks perfectly fine when running games. I'd pay more at the point of sale for OLED, I wouldn't go through the hassle of selling and spending more money on upgrading to OLED without signifcant upgrades in performance.

Soldato
OLED is nice, very nice in fact, but unless you're looking at them side by side I really see no reason to upgrade as the LCD panel looks perfectly fine when running games. I'd pay more at the point of sale for OLED, I wouldn't go through the hassle of selling and spending more money on upgrading to OLED without signifcant upgrades in performance.

I think anyone who has OLED monitor/TV is already aware of how much better the IQ is though so probably would upgrade. I know it's why I got the Switch and was never interested in the deck until now.
That said, if you are blissfully ignorant about it then yeah, easy to ignore.

@teaston Is this one ok? Can send back if not.

Last edited:
Associate
Sent mine back today because of the broken speaker, supposed to get a replacement by next week. If that one is faulty as well I'll just refund until the quality control is better, ideally I do want it though because the OLED screen was a pretty big step up

Last edited:
Caporegime
My LCD vs OLED trajectory over the last week or so.

1)I never like selling tech kit due to the fear of getting an awkward sod who tries it on or scams. I somehow don't mind having piles of old mobo's, gpus, cpus etc, but an un-used Steam Deck seems daft, so will hang on to the LCD on that basis. Plus, they are bound to be out of stock for months, if not outright scalped.

2)Oh, so the OLED stock seems pretty good actually. But, nah I'm still ok with an LCD, I am almost certain to be scammed if I try to flog.

3)Hmm, they do seem to be raving about it don't they, Linus Tech Tips etc. But, nah still alright as is.

4)Oh, there seems to be different panel suppliers. Should I just get one immediately, assuming the best panels will be in the first batch? I could probably find someone local to flog the LCD to, or maybe the OCUK for sale forum will be OK after all?

5)Hang on, what if this OLED panel supplier thing is actually split on a region basis. Sod's Law Europe would get the naff panels. It's off again, at least until people post what panels they have.

6)Slight debacle over lack of vent smell!! No way, I'm out! Oh, it was a false alarm.

7)Chuffing eck, seems every other OLED has quite serious sounding QA issues. Pats LCD.

8)People seem to be returning them now as well. Will wait for an SD2 for definite now methinks.

True story.

My take....I have never bought a mid cycle console (no PS4 Pro or Switch OLED) or the slim versions. I only ever bought the launch versions and then kept until a whole new gen so I wouldn't start now.

Soldato
I think anyone who has OLED monitor/TV is already aware of how much better the IQ is though so probably would upgrade. I know it's why I got the Switch and was never interested in the deck until now.
I mean I know exactly how OLED is compared to LCD, it just isn't enough of an upgrade alone to justify a £200 swing and the hassle of selling the old one.

Soldato

That's the one I have. I can't comment on how it is. Still waiting for delivery of my SD.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bear in mind the 8BitDo controllers swap A/B and X/Y compared to the deck. This causes an IllegalArgumentException in my brain, so I prefer to use my Stadia controller with the deck.
I was looking at the 2.4G version which has the buttons in the Deck layout. I was watching a Retro Game Corps YouTube video and he said the 2.4G version was the better choice for the SD.

Last edited:
Associate
I was looking at the 2.4G version which has the buttons in the Deck layout. I was watching a Retro Game Corps YouTube video and he said the 2.4G version was the better choice for the SD.
Ah good to know. Honestly the 8BitDo controllers seem nicely built generally- the A/B thing on my Pro 2 is definitely a "me" problem. Even the software is good. If the ergos work for you then you can't go wrong.

Associate

Yes, although the JSAUX protectors do have quite square edges, not nice and rounded like my Switch Oled protector.

Caporegime
I got one with no guide and somehow managed to put it on perfectly square...was only £7 and it came with 2. It's also glass...can't even tell it's on. Touch screen sensitivity does go down a little though but I like the glass feel.

ViFRlA1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It cost me £50 to upgrade really.

I opened a random box I had in cs2 and that had a pair of gloves that I sold for £120.

I sold my lcd 512 for £300 and got this for £480. Happy.

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom