*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Mine has finally arrived! I spent 20mins checking it and couldn't see any issues with it at all. The display is incredible! It's so bright compared to the Switch OLED.

Proceeded to crack it open to install a WD SN740 2TB SSD. Pretty simple process. I disconnected the ribbon cable which runs across the heatsheild and then gently lift it up and away from the heatshield. Many Youtubers seem to leave in place and man handle it. Took about 20 minutes.

eaSBqSM.jpg
Which ribbons did you disconnect to fit the SSD? I've seen some also disconnect a joystick ribbon connector

Last edited:
Associate
I just got my 512GB OLED and I am very happy with it. Gave it a good test and couldn't find any major issues. Did the dead pixel tests and the screen looks perfect. The only potential issue is the trigger stop on the left trigger feels slightly different to the right but it's not something that bothers me and I am quite picky.

My LCD deck's left trigger rubbed on the case but both triggers on this OLED feel smooth.

The screen! Wow! I fired up Half Life 1 and played through the training mission and considering the game is 25 years old it looked amazing. Even without HDR, the lights in the dark section of the map really popped. The OLED screen is easily better looking than my 27" 240hz Alienware LCD. It is easily the best looking screen I own, which includes a 75" FALD Sony X90J TV and an OLED Pixel 3. I can't wait to try some HDR games on it.

Tried some Hotline Miami to test the speakers and they also are pretty great for a portable.

For £479 there is not a better deal in video games right now.

Worst part is I have to put it away for Xmas now!

Associate
Mine has finally arrived! I spent 20mins checking it and couldn't see any issues with it at all. The display is incredible! It's so bright compared to the Switch OLED.

Proceeded to crack it open to install a WD SN740 2TB SSD. Pretty simple process. I disconnected the ribbon cable which runs across the heatsheild and then gently lift it up and away from the heatshield. Many Youtubers seem to leave in place and man handle it. Took about 20 minutes.

eaSBqSM.jpg
I didn’t disconnect the cable, just unstuck it from the back of the heat shield, there’s plenty of slack on it to remove the heatshield and change the ssd.

Associate
When I changed my SSD I just disconnected the ribbon cable going across the removable shield and slid the shield at an angle just enough to be able to remove the SSD without removing the tiny cable at the bottom of the shield. For some stupid reason they decided to what seems to be tape around a delicate cable and then that cable stuck to the underside of the shield when its not needed. Can see some ripping this tiny cable out if they are not careful.

Between using adhesive to stick the large cable to the top of the shield and one at the bottom they made it much more of a pain in the ass to remove compared to the LCD which was just remove the screws and lift off.

Associate
I have noticed one very slight issue with my OLED, the deadzone on the left stick isn’t as good. On my LCD I could set both deadzones to 2000, but now I need to set my left one to 3200 for it not to drift.

Thankfully it’s not the right one though, would be much worse if the aiming stick deadzone couldn’t be set to minimum.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn’t disconnect the cable, just unstuck it from the back of the heat shield, there’s plenty of slack on it to remove the heatshield and change the ssd.
With my fat fingers I didn't fancy it, didn't want to put too much stress on the ribbon.
As per @2StepSteve photo the one that is on the left side (looking at the back of the deck) that connects to the R board. Just gives you a bit more…give in the heat shield.

EDIT: O and the battery one!
I was a complete rebel and didn't disconnect the battery :D. I did place the SD in battery ship mode though, to avoid starting it up inadvertently.

Soldato
I think it’s because I had Csgo from when it wasn’t free. That gave me “prime” version of the game that has weekly “drops” boxes, sprays etc. It’s £2 ish to open a box and you can find random skins inside. I had like 6 of them and never had any opened. And one of them funny enough had some rare fancy gloves skin.. so I sold it on as I have no use for it. Apparently there’s a whole community of item trading and selling. Some cost thousands. Weird !

Even the unopened boxes can be worth a bit! I played a lot back in the day and so had accumulated a fair amout of crates from the free in game drops. As they are old and presumably don't drop anymore the price on them had risen from pennies to a few pounds! Sold a few recently to fund BG3 but I probably could cover half the price of a steam deck if sold the lot :p

Associate
With my fat fingers I didn't fancy it, didn't want to put too much stress on the ribbon.

I was a complete rebel and didn't disconnect the battery :D. I did place the SD in battery ship mode though, to avoid starting it up inadvertently.
I used a pair of tweezers from my cool little screwdriver/picktool set.

I also didn’t disconnect the battery, didn’t on my LCD either! :D

Associate
I mean I know exactly how OLED is compared to LCD, it just isn't enough of an upgrade alone to justify a £200 swing and the hassle of selling the old one.
This was my feeling too. Perfectly functional deck here and not enough incentive to upgrade right now. It wouldn't even be a question if I didn't already have one, but then again if that were the case then I probably wasn't really that interested in it!

Associate
A few games I absolutely recommend grabbing for the deck this sale:
Ring of pain - seriously addictive roguelike. Very difficult to put this down tbh.
Jupiter Hell - doom themed roguelike.
Hollow Knight - very awesome metroidvania

Also while I've not played much. In fact barely any it might be worth a mention since it got controller support recently and is apparently very good.
Caves of Qud

Associate
Id recommend Amid Evil, looks fantastic on Deck (LCD and OLED) - https://store.steampowered.com/app/673130/AMID_EVIL/

Also Doom and Quake as they include Doom 64 and Quake 64, which both looks really nice on the Deck
Amid evil looks pretty wicked and I'm pretty sure a friend of mine has recommended this one to me.

How do you find playing twitch shooters on the deck? I tend to avoid basically any FPS as I really struggle with the trackpads. I preferred the circular ones like the steam controller. Also because it's much heavier than the controller I find the gyro is much more difficult to use.

I tried Doom recently and it was okay, but just not scratching the same itch without mouse and keyboard. :(

Soldato
I used a pair of tweezers from my cool little screwdriver/picktool set.

I also didn’t disconnect the battery, didn’t on my LCD either! :D
We like to live dangerously! :D

I bought the Mako iFixit tool set, great set but missing tweezers!

Pretty crazy how much Steam has come along since I last used it. SteamOS on my deck detected that I already had downloaded No Man's Sky on my Mac and started pulling the game data directly from my Mac at blazing speed. Absolute black magic!

Last edited:
Associate
We like to live dangerously! :D

I bought the Mako iFixit tool set, great set but missing tweezers!

Pretty crazy how much Steam has come along since I last used it. SteamOS on my deck detected that I already had downloaded No Man's Sky on my Mac and started pulling the game data directly from my Mac at blazing speed. Absolute black magic!
I’ve got the Yinsan kit available on ‘rainforest’, could take apart pretty much any electronic device with it! Tbh the tweezers aren’t great, but the rest of the kit is brilliant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally got around to checking what panel my 1TB uses as I have no issues with dead pixels and it's a Samsung :D
Just cheked mine.. you know just to be sure, and it's also a Samsung panel. It looks damn georgous!
Apparently all the non LE ones are Samsung.
There are quite a few people returning their LE in favour to grab a Samsung panel.

Back
Top Bottom