*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Oh yeah. I remember that. Got half way and quit. Got annoying after a while.

If this gets annoying I intend to hold @Nitefly and not my aging reactions responsible! :p

I'm going to do the same :D

Managed to get to the 3rd chapter last night though, when you die it reloads instant and the checkpoints are really generous so you don't have to go back miles, so it's not as annoying.

I was enjoying taking my time trying to time my jumps and dashes perfectly and thoroughly enjoying it, then about 4 ghost versions of my self started chasing me through a section of a level and if they catch you it's instant death. That bit definitely made me sit up and concentrate a bit more :D

Enjoying it so far though, it looks and sounds great on the OLED too.

Reactions: TNA
Associate
I picked a few absolute bargain games in the sales:

Hollow Knight £6.39
Inside £1.69
Limbo 89p
Celeste £3.74
Portal 2 85p

Looks like the sale ends today, so get your orders in.

Soldato
Having gone back and forth with my Deck LCD and Deck OLED I think i'm going to return the OLED.
The screen is nice but its not groundbreaking. The Dpad on mine is worse and almost feels loose, like its stuck on with glue and the left trigger has a squeaky spring.
The fan is much better and the extra screen space is nice but is it worth the extra £179, no not IMO.

If it was perfect with no wobbly Dpad and triggers were perfect as my Deck LCD is then id probably keep it.
Might buy one in future when the (hopefully) initial quality control issues are sorted out.

I'm almost certain too that gaming (as I do on a couple hard to run games) at 30fps locked runs with micro stutter which isnt quite on par with the LCD deck. 30fps(90hz) on OLED vs 30fps(60hz) on LCD. Maybe its trying to run with double buffering and that doesnt work properly with 30/90 as it does with 30/60.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was enjoying taking my time trying to time my jumps and dashes perfectly and thoroughly enjoying it, then about 4 ghost versions of my self started chasing me through a section of a level and if they catch you it's instant death. That bit definitely made me sit up and concentrate a bit more :D

Haha yes that bit really does make you go ‘oh **** :eek::D

Caporegime
What controller does everyone use when docked? Looking at picking one up and was considering the 8BitDo Ultimate.

I've tried the PS4 originally but recently bought the 8bitDo. It feels VERY similar to the X-Box Series X one. I got it for £45 so perhaps quite a lot for a 3rd party but it comes with a charging dock. I got it partly because it has Halls sensors joysticks, not that I find the regular kind a problem but just wanted to try them.

q63IP8k.jpg

YPD37Am.jpg

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm going to do the same :D

Managed to get to the 3rd chapter last night though, when you die it reloads instant and the checkpoints are really generous so you don't have to go back miles, so it's not as annoying.

Enjoying it so far though, it looks and sounds great on the OLED too.

In that case if I don't enjoy it I will blame it on my LCD Steam Deck.

I think it shipped today. Hopefully will have it by Friday.

Soldato
Having gone back and forth with my Deck LCD and Deck OLED I think i'm going to return the OLED.
The screen is nice but its not groundbreaking. The Dpad on mine is worse and almost feels loose, like its stuck on with glue and the left trigger has a squeaky spring.
The fan is much better and the extra screen space is nice but is it worth the extra £179, no not IMO.

If it was perfect with no wobbly Dpad and triggers were perfect as my Deck LCD is then id probably keep it.
Might buy one in future when the (hopefully) initial quality control issues are sorted out.

I'm almost certain too that gaming (as I do on a couple hard to run games) at 30fps locked runs with micro stutter which isnt quite on par with the LCD deck. 30fps(90hz) on OLED vs 30fps(60hz) on LCD. Maybe its trying to run with double buffering and that doesnt work properly with 30/90 as it does with 30/60.

Tbh if you don't think the screen is a big improvement there is no point keeping it at all, let alone the other bits.
What were you expecting though, you say groundbreaking but it's an OLED, they aren't new.
I'd be willing to bet a kidney that over 90% of people would take OLED over LCD any day.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Tbh if you don't think the screen is a big improvement there is no point keeping it at all, let alone the other bits.
What were you expecting though, you say groundbreaking but it's an OLED, they aren't new.
I'd be willing to bet a kidney that over 90% of people would take OLED over LCD any day.

If his device has faults that are distracting then it’s deffo worth a return.

All good at my end but I’d be annoyed if I thought there was a defect. D-pad seems fine to me but I don’t have an original to compare it to.

Associate
Xbox controllers are fantastic. You can’t go wrong with one as the ergonomics are excellent

Same, I’ve been using Xbox controllers for PC gaming as my primary device for all games for about 10yrs, so using it on the SD is great. I use the elite version so I can still use the back paddles, one reason I love that Valve included rear paddles as that was a big selling point for me.

Love being able to use the same controller for the SD, PC, Series X and iPhone whenever I want.

Soldato
The screen is definately better and im 99% sure people would take the OLED over LCD. Is it worth the £180 though with the other couple of issues (dpad and trigger)

Soldato
The screen is definately better and im 99% sure people would take the OLED over LCD. Is it worth the £180 though with the other couple of issues (dpad and trigger)

Not with the issues though, I meant just the features in general. At least you've seen one to quell the FOMO.

Associate
Same, I’ve been using Xbox controllers for PC gaming as my primary device for all games for about 10yrs, so using it on the SD is great. I use the elite version so I can still use the back paddles, one reason I love that Valve included rear paddles as that was a big selling point for me.

Love being able to use the same controller for the SD, PC, Series X and iPhone whenever I want.
Same here too, I have the Elite series 2 controller, and a couple of the normal Series X ones.

I’d advise using the wireless adapter for windows though (if it works on steam deck) as bluetooth can be very hit and miss.

Soldato

If issue free I think it's 100% worth that much for the upgrade. The battery life is another big improvement. Wi-fi upgrade, runs quieter & cooler. Plus if you're like me and had the 256Gb LCD model then the storage is another.

That said if I had issues with mine I would also be returning, although I'd be waiting for another OLED and still sell the LCD.

Soldato
Got my OLED today, downloading some of my existing games now onto it, played a bit of Trackmania and seems really nice so far. Not really sure how much use I'll get out of it normally as I'm a sad ******* sat in front of my PC 90% of the time :p But going on holiday next week so why not...

Anyway, thinking a screen protector might be an idea and seems the jsaux stuff gets an ok reccomendation and it comes with an applicator frame thingy for dummies like me. Question is, and probably a dumb one, I got the 1Tb deck with the etched screen fanciness but I'm assuming a screen protector basically overrides that with whatever it is (they offer gloss and a matt/anti-glare option)?

Back
Top Bottom