*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Seems the LE has had most of the BOE panels but there's probably some BOE ones out there on the 512 and regular 1TB. Dodged a bullet there as I would have 100% grabbed the LE one if it was available in the UK.

Soldato
Totally dodged a bullet. The QC on the BOE panels do not look good.

With the incoming Samsung law suit over Steamdeck also using BOE for panels, this may not be an issue in the future. But for now it's a pretty big reason not to go LE in USA and Canada.

Soldato
Bit of bummer you can't use IEMs with the OLED model, tons of static/interference, seems to be widespread issue, I guess I'll bluetooth for now.

Yeah, am hearing about this. I tried some wired ear buds earlier, and couldn't hear any issues. I'm guessing it depends on the buds and their impedence with how noticable it is. Hopefully can be fixed with a firmware update.

Associate
You have a certain length of time to return any product bought online anyway so you'd return it under that rather than saying it's faulty, below is courtesy of good old MSE https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/#buyingfromhome

Buying online, via mail order or from home

On top of all the other protections described above, there are major advantages to buying online, via mail order, or simply from home. Thanks to the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013, in most cases you have the right to cancel your order and get a refund – even if you've just changed your mind.

When do I have the right to cancel?​

The Consumer Contracts Regulations apply to contracts for goods or services (including digital content) of any value ordered from an EU-based business via mail order, phone or online. You're also protected if buying something costing more than £42 away from a normal seller's premises (usually at your home or work).

I got a present from someone who bought it online. Can I return it?​

Importantly, these rights only apply to the person who bought the item, so it's trickier if you want to return a present you got. The store may ask that the original purchaser return it.

How long do I have to cancel?​

Here it depends what you're buying:

• Goods: 14 calendar days from the day after you receive all goods in an order (unless it's for regular delivery such as a magazine subscription, when the first delivery counts). Once you've cancelled an order you then have a further 14 days to send the goods back.
  • Services and digital content: 14 days from the day after the order is made. If you want to start a service within the 14 days, you will usually be asked to give your agreement in writing. This then means you can't cancel. However you are able to get a refund minus the proportionate cost of anything you have used.

If you aren't told about your cancellation rights in writing, you have up to a year and 14 days to cancel the contract.

I think the 'EU based' bit is still valid due to where it comes from??..

Last edited:
Soldato
Celeste is a bit addictive :eek: done 4 chapters now, the 4th one with the wind mechanics is cool. There's also some sequences that require several perfect inputs one after another, takes quite a few attempts, but when you do eventually crack it you feel like a boss :cool: (even if you died 200+ times in 1 chapter :cry:).

Soldato
Amid evil looks pretty wicked and I'm pretty sure a friend of mine has recommended this one to me.

How do you find playing twitch shooters on the deck? I tend to avoid basically any FPS as I really struggle with the trackpads. I preferred the circular ones like the steam controller. Also because it's much heavier than the controller I find the gyro is much more difficult to use.

I tried Doom recently and it was okay, but just not scratching the same itch without mouse and keyboard. :(
Some work better than others on joysticks and some better on trackpads.
Right trackpad ill use for mouse movement, left for a radial menu. WinUAE (Amiga) mouse games work really well using trackpads.
Amid Evil I use the sticks for some reason.

I've got older games installed too, like original Aliens vs Predator 2. This looked fantastic on Deck OLED, a lot of blacks. Here it is on my LCD a few months ago

Associate
Celeste is a bit addictive :eek: done 4 chapters now, the 4th one with the wind mechanics is cool. There's also some sequences that require several perfect inputs one after another, takes quite a few attempts, but when you do eventually crack it you feel like a boss :cool: (even if you died 200+ times in 1 chapter :cry:).

I'm on the B-Side tapes which are basically hard mode versions of the levels, I think I've done the first 4 chapters of the B-sides....give them a try once you've completed the main game, very challenging but very rewarding when you succeed.

Soldato
I'm on the B-Side tapes which are basically hard mode versions of the levels, I think I've done the first 4 chapters of the B-sides....give them a try once you've completed the main game, very challenging but very rewarding when you succeed.

Struggling enough with the A-side tbh :cry: although I have unlocked the tapes in each chapter so far, so will probably give them a try at some point.

Soldato
That video perfectly sums up why I won't have a non OLED screen.
Yep, the OLED certainly is nicer for games like that. Doesnt look as bad in real life as it does on that video though.

I've found quite a downside to the OLED - 30fps/90hz instead of 30fps/60 on the LCD causes quite a bit of microstutter when gaming at 30fps limited on harder to run titles. Even setting 60fps/60hz on AVP2 the frametime had small spikes compared to the LCD 60/60 so there's something not quite right with the fps/hz settings I think.

Hopefully ironed out in future update, lets just hope it doesnt mess up the LCD frametimes.

Associate
Yep, the OLED certainly is nicer for games like that. Doesnt look as bad in real life as it does on that video though.

I've found quite a downside to the OLED - 30fps/90hz instead of 30fps/60 on the LCD causes quite a bit of microstutter when gaming at 30fps limited on harder to run titles. Even setting 60fps/60hz on AVP2 the frametime had small spikes compared to the LCD 60/60 so there's something not quite right with the fps/hz settings I think.

Hopefully ironed out in future update, lets just hope it doesnt mess up the LCD frametimes.
Have you tried running at 31fps limit, which will give 62hz?

Soldato

Can you not run at 30fps/60hz at all? Wonder if they'll add that back in for the future.

Soldato

That would be annoying, I don't intend on playing any game at 30fps though, I'd rather not play it at all than play at that.

Soldato
GLS tracking… Not exactly great for someone that’s impatient or just wants to be kept in the loop :D

Stuck on “The parcel is on its way to the final parcel center” for a few days now

Soldato
GLS tracking… Not exactly great for someone that’s impatient or just wants to be kept in the loop :D

Stuck on “The parcel is on its way to the final parcel center” for a few days now
Enter the parcel force tracking number into their website see what that says, mine did the same then it all updated on the day it was being delivered.

Soldato
Have you tried running at 31fps limit, which will give 62hz?
I tried that, still had frametime spikes every few seconds so guess it wasnt in sync with double buffering.
Can you not run at 30fps/60hz at all? Wonder if they'll add that back in for the future.
That should certainly be added as an option (if possible)
That would be annoying, I don't intend on playing any game at 30fps though, I'd rather not play it at all than play at that.
Play at 30fps? Some games run native at 30fps so seems sensible to also run/emulate them at 30fps.

Soldato
Nah, there are certain games like BOTW that run at 30 but are only enjoyable at 60 (for me).
Again, I'll be using the deck within its means, so mainly low intensity games that run like ass on my switch.

Back
Top Bottom