*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Some work better than others on joysticks and some better on trackpads.
Right trackpad ill use for mouse movement, left for a radial menu. WinUAE (Amiga) mouse games work really well using trackpads.
Amid Evil I use the sticks for some reason.

I've got older games installed too, like original Aliens vs Predator 2. This looked fantastic on Deck OLED, a lot of blacks. Here it is on my LCD a few months ago

I see the same struggle I have using the trackpads in your video! :D
I just don't have as big of an issue with the steam controller. The pads also seem slightly too low on the deck to use comfortably.
I'm probably just expecting too much from a handheld console and it's as good as they could make it without blowing it up in size even more.

Soldato
To be honest, it is crazy prioritising 4K and running at 30 FPS, I can’t see any difference between 1440p and 4K, on my 55 inch OLED
Ditto. I run my PC on a 75” LCD TV. If a game runs at 4K@60hz minimum then great but otherwise I’ll happily shift down to 1440p as the difference in detail is minimal if it’s even noticeable

Soldato
To be honest, it is crazy prioritising 4K and running at 30 FPS, I can’t see any difference between 1440p and 4K, on my 55 inch OLED

I can and it's why I opted out so I don't have to compromise.
Oddly though it seems to differ per game. Hogwarts was like going from PS3 to modern day between the two but on others it is not as drastic. I mean 4k is over double the pixel density amount of pixels, if I couldn't tell the difference I'd be off to specsavers :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Some games work perfectly fine in 30fps/60hz - BeamNG drive is a prime example. You wouldnt get 60fps out of BeamNG in medium settings with traffic on. Doubt you would even on a Steam deck 2

It plays fine in 30fps on deck. Sure on PC it feels horrible in 30fps, but PCs you'll have a much beefier CPU and GPU. Cant really fit a 3090 Ti / 4090 in a handheld :D

Associate
I can and it's why I opted out so I don't have to compromise.
Oddly though it seems to differ per game. Hogwarts was like going from PS3 to modern day between the two but on others it is not as drastic. I mean 4k is over double the pixel density amount of pixels, if I couldn't tell the difference I'd be off to specsavers :D
It’s mainly about the size of the TV and how far you sit from it. People who sit close to a massive TV might see a difference, but in my usage case there is no difference in any of the modern PC games I’ve tested.

In a very quiet room at night I had my oled Deck on the desk in front of me turned on at the home screen, and I could hear the fan turning on and off, I don't mean hear the sound of the air from the vent, but the actual sound of the fan turning on, like a slight tick sound like a old harddrive tick, if you put your ear to the vent you can hear it turning on and off quite regularly, it doesn't do this on the old fan curve which you can select in system settings because it keeps the fan on low.

Soldato
It’s mainly about the size of the TV and how far you sit from it. People who sit close to a massive TV might see a difference, but in my usage case there is no difference in any of the modern PC games I’ve tested.

Again very different experience despite sitting close to the 42" and much further from the 55".
Probably derailed the thread a bit so lets leave it there.

I'll mention my deck is on its way to final parcel centre since 25th, not that I'm particularly excited about it now lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm most interested in seeing what 40-45fps is like at 80-90hz. On sticks, this should be perfectly playable.
Portal felt really nice at 90fps/90hz. 45/90 felt weird.
30/60 definately should be added as an option. Pretty sure 30/90 is broken

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom