*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
I puchased Outlaws off the Steam Store sale for £1.74 and despite saying an unsupported game it ran first time, no tweaks needed. Intro ran perfect and game started without hiccups. The waves of Nostalgia were like a tsunami last night.

Soldato
I puchased Outlaws off the Steam Store sale for £1.74 and despite saying an unsupported game it ran first time, no tweaks needed. Intro ran perfect and game started without hiccups. The waves of Nostalgia were like a tsunami last night.
Does music work on Steam Deck? It doesnt for me but music works fine on PC.
Its to do with Redbook audio (the anti piracy) which doesnt work right in Linux. Music really makes the game

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
SD has double the PPI of a 27” 1440p monitor, and your eyes are around half the distance from the deck compared to a monitor, so it’s probably plenty.

Subjective. I sit close to my monitor and would not be holding the deck as far away as most. I like to be close to the screen, hence why I much prefer higher resolution.

Last edited:
Soldato
Subjective. I sit close to my monitor and would not be holing the deck as far away as most. I like to be close to the screen, hence why I much prefer higher resolution.
E9cgh-XVVo-Ak-Q47a.jpg

Soldato
The intro music worked absolutely fine, not sure in game. I'm on lunch now so I'll have a quick look and let you know.
Yeh, same for me. In Windows when the game starts another process kicks in and music starts, that doesnt happen on SD / Linux. Thats Redbook audio / copy protection software kicking into life.
Same with the GOG version - bought it on Steam, GOG and also tried a dodgy pirate version. Felt like I needed to try seems as though ive bought the game 3 times! :D (Bigbox years ago, Steam and GOG)

Last edited:
Associate
Subjective. I sit close to my monitor and would not be holding the deck as far away as most. I like to be close to the screen, hence why I much prefer higher resolution.
Actually, iphones are about double the ppi of SD, so maybe it could be better with higher res.

I think targeting 60fps on AAA games is still a higher priority though. I’ve been playing SOTTR at 45fps, and I’d definitely rather have higher fps than higher res.

Associate
Yeh, same for me. In Windows when the game starts another process kicks in and music starts, that doesnt happen on SD / Linux. Thats Redbook audio / copy protection software kicking into life.
Same with the GOG version - bought it on Steam, GOG and also tried a dodgy pirate version. Felt like I needed to try seems as though ive bought the game 3 times! :D (Bigbox years ago, Steam and GOG)
No sound in game either :( I have found a guide on the steam community to Fix Music/Cutscenes etc i've started it but ran out of lunch time! I will definitely try and get this working tonight.
Sorry can't link my work block gaming sites and my phone has a terrible signal in the office.

It's called GUIDE: Fix Music and Cutscenes on Steamdeck (and Linux?) by da1writer1985

Let me know if you give it a go!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Actually, iphones are about double the ppi of SD, so maybe it could be better with higher res.

I think targeting 60fps on AAA games is still a higher priority though. I’ve been playing SOTTR at 45fps, and I’d definitely rather have higher fps than higher res.

Higher resolution will definitely improve things. No question in my mind. I just say it's subjective because it kind of is a bit, but more so no point arguing about it. If someone feels a certain way sometimes it's hard or even impossible to change their mind.

Some still think 1440p is enough for monitors and any higher is wasted as can't see the difference. I see a huge difference. I have yet to see a 8K monitor but I bet I would be able to see the difference easily again.

Associate
Higher resolution will definitely improve things. No question in my mind. I just say it's subjective because it kind of is a bit, but more so no point arguing about it. If someone feels a certain way sometimes it's hard or even impossible to change their mind.

Some still think 1440p is enough for monitors and any higher is wasted as can't see the difference. I see a huge difference. I have yet to see a 8K monitor but I bet I would be able to see the difference easily again.
I think it’s safe to say the SD2 will be higher res, probably 1200p, then you’ll have the choice of either higher res with lower FPS or lower res and higher FPS.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Finally received my new OLED deck (512 model) today after a complete farce with Parcelfarce. Can't be bothered describing why, just be content that Parcelforce are utter ****.

The good news however! - It looks like mine is fine. Not seeing any of the issues I've seen reported here and elsewhere. I've only done a quick initial 15 minute checkup, but I think these are the things to look out for:

1. Screen: No dead pixels and all seems fine. (Have run a dead pixel checker in desktop mode and a black screen test).
2. Buttons / triggers/ dpad: All seem fine and very very similar feel to my LCD deck to be honest, which I have no complaints about really
3. Joysticks: Both fine
4. Speakers: Both fine
5. Haptics and trackpads: Both seem fine though the haptics seem a bit stronger on the left one. You can adjust the strength of each in the settings though so need to test that more.
6: Battery: Seems fine. Only initial test obviously but charged up to 99% and reports 100% health in desktop mode. Might hit 100% if leave longer I guess.

Have I missed owt????

Not tested bluetooth yet, or any games/ performance/ OLED screen goodness/ HDR yet, as I now have the daunting task of reimaging my saved 256 deck image onto this new one using Clonezilla.....

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally received my new OLED deck (512 model) today after a complete farce with Parcelfarce. Can't be bothered describing why, just be content that Parcelforce are utter ****.

The good news however! - It looks like mine is fine. Not seeing any of the issues I've seen reported here and elsewhere. I've only done a quick initial 15 minute checkup, but I think these are the things to look out for:

1. Screen: No dead pixels and all seems fine. (Have run a dead pixel checker in desktop mode and a black screen test).
2. Buttons / triggers/ dpad: All seem fine and very very similar feel to my LCD deck to be honest, which I have no complaints about really
3. Joysticks: Both fine
4. Speakers: Both fine
5. Haptics and trackpads: Both seem fine though the haptics seem a bit stronger on the left one. You can adjust the strength of each in the settings though so need to test that more.
6: Battery: Seems fine. Only initial test obviously but charged up to 99% and reports 100% health in desktop mode. Might hit 100% if leave longer I guess.

Have I missed owt????

Not tested bluetooth yet, or any games/ performance/ OLED screen goodness/ HDR yet, as I now have the daunting task of reimaging my saved 256 deck image onto this new one using Clonezilla.....

If you can turn bluetooth on you're doing better than me!!

Associate
Have you tried decreasing the stick deadzones down to 2000 and see if there’s any drift?

I thought it’s possible to clone the SSD directly from the deck, using a usb SSD enclosure?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The SSD I ordered from China 2 days after the Steam Deck is now with Evri and being delivered tomorrow. Meanwhile the Steam Deck is nowhere to be seen :D

Mine is Still in the Netherlands. My guess is Friday. Be funny if they ship me a OLED by mistake :cry:

Back
Top Bottom