*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
I tried it a little when they added controller support. I wasn't really interested enough at the time to put any real hours in, but I can say it was miles better than before they added it!

Yeah was just looking through my library and it stood out as one that could run well but not sure about mouse controls on it.

Soldato
I want to buy Factorio for my SD but even in the recent sale, it seemed too pricey.
Factorio on the SD isn’t the best idea. The screen is far too small for a kick off and once you start to expand your factory, it’ll start to chug.

The developers have said previously that they’ll not discount Factorio so any discount you see is noteworthy. It’s an excellent game that I’ve put hundreds of hours into but I wouldn’t even consider playing it on an SD

Soldato
I want to buy Factorio for my SD but even in the recent sale, it seemed too pricey.
Refund it if it’s rubbish.

few hours of gaming in and I’m loving mine.

Good things :

D pad is nicer imo
Fan smells lovely
Battery is actually noticeably better
Runs cooler
Fan is quieter
Track pads seem to have much better haptics

Bad :

Currently just hdr support on some games is a bit flaky. For e.g. hot wheels unleashed. Looks great but failed to start after changing the settings, setting proton to experiment fixed it.

Soldato
Plenty of people on Reddit managing late game Factorio just fine so I'll lean more to their point of view having actually played it.
Also it's on the Switch so I'd hope a steam deck would manage..

Not that I doubt it's one of those games that would be better on my main rig but then most are.

Last edited:
Associate
Was looking at this Wi-Fi issue and noticed WPA3 may be the cause for some.

Seems that the problem may be WPA3, my router is a Netgear RAX200 and I’ve separated the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands with different passwords so devices don’t randomly switch between the two as I find that annoying.

On the deck desktop I’ve noticed it connects without issues to 5ghz 160mhz WPA2 but the moment I force WPA3 only, the OLED deck sees the 5ghz band but refuses to connect, but on WPA2 it connects immediately so I wonder if this is the main culprit. Instead of the router, deck or both automatically falling back to WPA2 it’s always trying to connect to the broken WPA3 implementation on the deck for some and never connects.

Associate
Got my OLED yesterday, swapped in my 1TB SSD from LCD, sadly I managed to snap my 512GB MicroSD card because I'm stupid, so have another one ordered. So far everything is running great, no noticeable issues but I haven't had too long to mess with it. Screen is excellent, as is the increase in battery life (I play mostly Indies games or games that are 6 watts or under).

Man of Honour
I haven’t bothered doing any tweaking or tinkering yet. Is there any reason to actually do it?

I doubt I’ll ever bother increasing the storage because I can’t think of any circumstance where I’ll need more than half a gig of games for a prolonged period without connecting to WiFi.

Soldato
I haven’t bothered doing any tweaking or tinkering yet. Is there any reason to actually do it?

I doubt I’ll ever bother increasing the storage because I can’t think of any circumstance where I’ll need more than half a gig of games for a prolonged period without connecting to WiFi.

I like to tinker for the sake of it tbh. Also I take pleasure in curating a library of games I'll never actually play :o

Soldato
I like to tinker for the sake of it tbh. Also I take pleasure in curating a library of games I'll never actually play :o
lol. I do this. I think it stems from my childhood of wanting games for the big boxes and artwork / manuals but then playing the game it was more often than not, a total letdown.
I bought a dual CD the other day. It was so nice just to take out and read the insert booklet about the music... Havent even listened to the CD yet.

Associate
Was looking at this Wi-Fi issue and noticed WPA3 may be the cause for some.

Seems that the problem may be WPA3, my router is a Netgear RAX200 and I’ve separated the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands with different passwords so devices don’t randomly switch between the two as I find that annoying.

On the deck desktop I’ve noticed it connects without issues to 5ghz 160mhz WPA2 but the moment I force WPA3 only, the OLED deck sees the 5ghz band but refuses to connect, but on WPA2 it connects immediately so I wonder if this is the main culprit. Instead of the router, deck or both automatically falling back to WPA2 it’s always trying to connect to the broken WPA3 implementation on the deck for some and never connects.
Good work! My router is set to WPA3, so i’ll give WPA2 a go to see if i can get 160mhz working.

Soldato
The only tinkering I've done on mine is to make XBox GamePass work, and got Emudeck running, which I only played once....

The rest of the time I just play games I bought off the store
How did you get Game Pass working? The only way I can see to do it is to install Windows? Or are you just running cloud gaming?

Back
Top Bottom