*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
I'm having a lot of issues with my Steam Deck (64GB LCD model, but I upgraded the SSD to a 1TB Sabrent Rocket 2230) freezing up in games, then rebooting and displaying 'Verifying Installation' upon reboot. I've opened a support ticket with Steam, but I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem, or software, but it seems like after the recent OS updates, a lot of people on Reddit etc. have been experiencing similar issues. I've only owned it for about a month, give or take, but I've tried reimaging the SD from scratch, bumping the VRAM up to 4GB, disabling the 'Updated Fan Controls' option, and setting a max GPU limit, which have all been recommended as fixes, but nothing has worked so far. It's entirely random in terms of how much time I get in a game, it could be two minutes into me loading into the game, or forty five minutes. It's very annoying, and has rendered the SD unusable, pretty much, as I never know when it's going to crash and so can't actually use it for elongated periods of time or make progress in games without fear of it crashing (and me losing that progress).

Has anyone else experienced these issues at all?
I also fitted a 1TB drive (WD SN735) in my 64GB LCD, and I have never had any game crash, even using 3.5.6 from the experimental firmware channel.

Not had any crashes with it on my OLED yet either.

Associate
The only reports I seen of SSD issues is when people purchased from ali*.
Oh, I’m currently cloning my 1TB to my ali 2TB!

Btw, if anyone else needs to clone their drive, it’s so easy to do with a USB SSD enclosure, which are less than £20 from ‘rainforest’, use Konsole on SteamOS desktop and just enter:

sudo dd if=/dev/nvme0n1 of=/dev/sda oflag=sync bs=128M status=progress

Soldato
Is it as easy to spoof the capacity of an NVME SSD as it is with an SD memory card? You know, those 982GB SD cards you can get for £10 which are 64gb cards in disguise.

Soldato
^ I've successfully cloned my LCD deck's backup image to my new OLED deck drive today, without using any fancy enclosures or having to take anything apart. Just using a bog standard external drive, a thumb drive and clonezilla. It didn't work at first and I thought I was going to have to start from scratch on my new deck, which was a nightmare prospect as its heavily modded. But I got it working in the end, thank ****!

Last edited:
Associate
^ I've successfully cloned my LCD deck's backup image to my new OLED deck drive today, without using any fancy enclosures or having to take anything apart. Just using a bog standard external drive, a thumb drive and clonezilla. It didn't work at first and I thought I was going to have to start from scratch on my new deck, which was a nightmare prospect as its heavily modded. But I got it working in the end, thank ****!
I guess that’s possible if you have more than 1 M.2 slot in your PC, but it’s not possible if you only have 1 and your system drive is in it. Also, some people don’t have a PC at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got a Parcelforce notification today, for a phone I ordered last week. Deck still shows as 'in transit'. I'm going to request a refund now before it's been delivered, maybe they can take it straight back,

Associate
No sound in game either :( I have found a guide on the steam community to Fix Music/Cutscenes etc i've started it but ran out of lunch time! I will definitely try and get this working tonight.
Sorry can't link my work block gaming sites and my phone has a terrible signal in the office.

It's called GUIDE: Fix Music and Cutscenes on Steamdeck (and Linux?) by da1writer1985

Let me know if you give it a go!
I got my 1tb drive yesterday and yes it was incredibly easy fitting, was very very careful with the screws as I was conscious of them threading.
Since I had the keyboard/mouse etc all out I went through the guide for Outlaws and low and behold now have music in-game while shooting varmints!
If I get time I'll post a video tomorrow.

Soldato
I got my 1tb drive yesterday and yes it was incredibly easy fitting, was very very careful with the screws as I was conscious of them threading.
Since I had the keyboard/mouse etc all out I went through the guide for Outlaws and low and behold now have music in-game while shooting varmints!
If I get time I'll post a video tomorrow.
This on the OLED? Apparently the screw housing is now metal so should massively reduce the risk of threading :)

Soldato
I guess that’s possible if you have more than 1 M.2 slot in your PC, but it’s not possible if you only have 1 and your system drive is in it. Also, some people don’t have a PC at all.

Eh?? I have no idea what you're talking about there bud. I've done it.

I backed up a full system image (OS 3.5.5) from my old LCD deck onto an external hard drive using clonezilla. Sold that deck.
I then restored the backed up image onto my new OLED deck using clonezilla.

You actually do it without a PC too, though you do need a wired keyboard and a powered but any cheapo usb hub.

What has having multiple M2 slots in your PC got to do with anything?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom