Poll: *** The official Studio Display thread (it has the 27" 5K iMac screen and everything!) ***

Are you getting the 27" Studio Display?

• Yes

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 80.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Just had a despatch email for mine. I hope it’ll arrive tomorrow so I can get the Mac Studio hooked up at last.

Is it still in China or has it landed in the UK.

Mine hasn't shipped yet but the expected delivery date is 30th to the 6th. My Mac Studio has a 29th to 5th and that shipped on the 23rd but is still in Shanghai.

Soldato
OP

Mine hasn't shipped yet but the expected delivery date is 30th to the 6th. My Mac Studio has a 29th to 5th and that shipped on the 23rd but is still in Shanghai.

To my knowledge all studio displays are being shipped from the UK or NL.

Mine is also stuck in Shanghai since the 23rd. Likely in the same batch.

Soldato

UK from what I can see. DPD have it and are processing it through their system. I’m told it’ll be here on Monday

Soldato
And it's here! Had a minor panic this afternoon when I realised I'd no idea if the monitor came with a display cable or not! Thankfully it comes with a Thunderbolt 4(?) cable which happily slots into the Mac Studio.

I'm coming to the Studio (Mac and Display) from a 2015 iMac so this will no doubt colour my impressions which are... it's fine. It's a lot less deeper than the iMac so I've more desk space now I can push it back to the wall. Colours are good as I would expect and it's bright enough. Had a quick blast of some music and once again it’s good enough. Not quite sure yet if screen and speakers are significantly better than the iMac but my daughter stuck her head in and immediately said the picture looked sharper.

Currently I’m just waiting on the firmware to update. Never had to do that for a monitor before….

Soldato
And it's here! Had a minor panic this afternoon when I realised I'd no idea if the monitor came with a display cable or not! Thankfully it comes with a Thunderbolt 4(?) cable which happily slots into the Mac Studio.

I'm coming to the Studio (Mac and Display) from a 2015 iMac so this will no doubt colour my impressions which are... it's fine. It's a lot less deeper than the iMac so I've more desk space now I can push it back to the wall. Colours are good as I would expect and it's bright enough. Had a quick blast of some music and once again it’s good enough. Not quite sure yet if screen and speakers are significantly better than the iMac but my daughter stuck her head in and immediately said the picture looked sharper.

Currently I’m just waiting on the firmware to update. Never had to do that for a monitor before….

Is it the 27” 5k iMac you’re moving from?

Soldato

How are you finding it after a full day of use?

Soldato
A full day? I don't work in front of it ;) though I have spent the past few hours using it. I used SwitchResX to set it to 4K as 5K was a bit of the strain on the eyes. I may drop the res further.

I've listened to some music via Apple Music, watched a few YouTube videos, made a FaceTime call and played Factorio. I also did some work on a business flyer design. I've no complaints. The screen is very clear with even backlighting as you'd expect (hope) from such an expensive screen. The colours are spot on to my untrained eyes - I just went with the default Studio P3 colour profile btw. The speakers are superior to that of my previous iMac with sound in general being clearer. When listening to music, instruments are easily identifiable.

I don't think anyone outside high end graphic designers and video creators will be disappointed with this monitor. EDIT and gamers. Gamers won't like it either.

Soldato
OP
Got mine as well.

No surprises to be honest. Some observations:

* It's 5K so it's as sharp as you'd expect.
* The display is less reflective than the 27" iMac when I look at them side by side.
* The speakers are good, but will not replace an average dedicated speaker. Won't be using them as I have proper speakers.
* HDR playback is decent, definitely miles ahead of most "HDR" monitors that don't have the spec to back it up (basically anything that isn't local dimming / MiniLED, so nothing cheaper than £1500). But it's not a real HDR experience. So nothing like the Macbook Pros, Pro Display XDR or the best TVs out there.
* Build quality is great. Much better than the LG Ultrafine.
* Fans are completely inaudible.
* Colour accuracy is excellent. As you'd expect from an Apple display.
* Response times are not good, again as you'd expect.
* Contrast seems a little better than the 27" iMac. But not at the local dimming / MiniLED levels, obviously.
* I got the vesa mount version, so I get infinite flexibility but therefore no comment about stand.

My recommendation remains the same: if you're in the Apple ecosystem, and if you really care about 220ppi and 2:1 scaling on macOS, I recommend it as it is exactly what you want and there's nothing else. If this isn't you, save some money and get something else!

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest, what have you changed the resolution to? If you're coming from a 5K 27" iMac, I'd have thought the resolution would be the same.

This is an embarrassing admission to make but I genuinely thought that because I’d chosen the highest setting for space on Display settings that the resolution was 5K. I only discovered today that this wasn’t the case. I think it was actually 3200x1800 or similar. Once I discovered this (amid some muttered swearing of disbelief) I went about seeing how to set the res to 5K and played about with it from thereon.

Soldato
OP
Hoping to get my order placed within the next couple of weeks and then it'll probably be at least ten weeks before everything turns up. There's a possibility there might be two displays, not just the one listed here.

UJNPEDO.png

Fancy stuff. But I do recommend the vesa mount for the displays with a couple of proper monitor arms. Will give you much more flexibility.

Commissario
Fancy stuff. But I do recommend the vesa mount for the displays with a couple of proper monitor arms. Will give you much more flexibility.
I don’t think I need it. My iMac is almost perfect on my desk, it’s just a little high and due to the design of the studio monitor, it sits slightly lower than the iMac. It should be bang on for me.

Soldato
OP
I don’t think I need it. My iMac is almost perfect on my desk, it’s just a little high and due to the design of the studio monitor, it sits slightly lower than the iMac. It should be bang on for me.

Nice. I know I'd have been disappointed with how low the display sits. But I have serious problems with most stands :D I did have a couple of books under my old iMac to bring it higher.

Back
Top Bottom