Poll: *** The official Studio Display thread (it has the 27" 5K iMac screen and everything!) ***

Are you getting the 27" Studio Display?

• Yes

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 80.6%

• Total voters
Slight hijack, but what monitor arms are you using? All the ones I have looked have the arms drop on dual 27inch monitors which is what happened with the ones I used at work.

Very old ergotron model, I think I got it back in 2010. They are more expensive than typical ones but well worth the price and they last forever. Use two separate ones instead of a dual one, it gives you more flexibility as well.

Very old ergotron model, I think I got it back in 2010. They are more expensive but well worth the cost and they last forever. Use two separate ones instead of a dual one, it gives you more flexibility as well.
You've got me intrigued now. Due to the style of my shack, If I were to go with VESA and arms, one of them would have to be a stand and one could be clamped to the edge of the desk. I couldn't clamp one to the back of the desk because it's custom made out of a very thick worktop and fixed to the wall. Is there a current equivalent to the model you have?

You've got me intrigued now. Due to the style of my shack, If I were to go with VESA and arms, one of them would have to be a stand and one could be clamped to the edge of the desk. I couldn't clamp one to the back of the desk because it's custom made out of a very thick worktop and fixed to the wall. Is there a current equivalent to the model you have?

https://www.ergotron.com/en-gb/products/product-details/45-241

This is very similar, and looks nicer than older models too (especially the black and white colours). There are also extensions if you want to extend them further.

There is also a dual version that's unlike most other dual arms, it has two entire arms rather than just one arm with two display mounts. This supports 2x27" screens. https://www.ergotron.com/en-gb/products/product-details/45-245

And an extension arm if you want to use the dual one on the edge and extend them to the middle: https://www.ergotron.com/en-gb/products/product-details/45-289

These are not cheap and cost 2-3x the typical ones, but they have 10 year warranty and are incredibly well built. Wouldn't surprise me if mine lasted another 20 years.

Last edited:
I can also vouch for the Ergotron arms, I've just checked and I ordered mine in 2015 and it's still going strong, and has done about 5 house moves since then with me. Absolutely rock solid, albeit expensive. I got the LG Ergo monitor set up at the moment, and the stand is absolutely crap compared to the ergotron.

Another vote for Ergotron. After the recommendations here I grabbed three from eBay — worked out about £60 each delivered — they’re built like a tank and are very stable but easy to manoeuvre.

How’s everyone finding the Studio Display now?

How’s everyone finding the Studio Display now?

I'm very happy with mine. It's exactly what I wanted, just a bit more expensive than I wanted it to be but whatever. It's obviously not as good as the screen on the new Macbook Pros but at this price no screen really is. It's the only thing that wouldn't feel like a downgrade when coming from a 27" 5K iMac, although it's not a big upgrade either.

Still wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is happy with 164ppi (27" 4K). They can either save money or pay extra for other features like local dimming or 120Hz. But for looking at text, this is as good is it gets right now (unless you go above £3000).

We just put in an order for 10 of these at work to replace our Huawei Mateviews.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with mine. It's exactly what I wanted, just a bit more expensive than I wanted it to be but whatever. It's obviously not as good as the screen on the new Macbook Pros but at this price no screen really is. It's the only thing that wouldn't feel like a downgrade when coming from a 27" 5K iMac, although it's not a big upgrade either.

Still wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is happy with 164ppi (27" 4K). They can either save money or pay extra for other features like local dimming or 120Hz. But for looking at text, this is as good is it gets right now (unless you go above £3000).

We just put in an order for 10 of these at work to replace our Huawei Mateviews.

Thanks, pretty much what I was expecting. Just need to talk to the boss about ordering one with a Mac Studio now.

Just had my first major issue with my Display - sound cutting out for no reason. FaceTime also throws a fit maybe because it's trying to use the camera. I'd try turning it off and on again but there no power button... :D

EDIT: And it's still there when the monitor has turned off and back on. Not great. As far as I'm aware there's not been any firmware update so I'm really hoping this isn't a hardware issue and it'll just go away.

Last edited:
Just had my first major issue with my Display - sound cutting out for no reason. FaceTime also throws a fit maybe because it's trying to use the camera. I'd try turning it off and on again but there no power button... :D

#ThinkDifferent. Crawl under the desk and unplug/replug :D

#ThinkDifferent. Crawl under the desk and unplug/replug :D

That's what I did. Doesn't help that the Mac Studio and Display have the same/ very similar power cables. It didn't make any difference btw. A quick google shows a few people with this issue and there's no solution as yet

As everyone is waiting with bated breath for my latest update, I better update you. I unplugged the monitor and left it for a minute before plugging it back in. This time I saw the three "loading" dots onscreen and thankfully the sound is now working 100%.

It may just have been a coincidence but the wobbly happened when I opened up FaceTime. A continuous tone almost like an alarm sounded and video completely froze. FaceTime hung and I had to Force Quit it. The continuous tone continued until I rebooted the Mac Studio. On trying FaceTime again, the video was very jerky. Sound was a complete mess. In short, perhaps the monitor got stuck while doing an undocumented firmware update.

As everyone is waiting with bated breath for my latest update, I better update you. I unplugged the monitor and left it for a minute before plugging it back in. This time I saw the three "loading" dots onscreen and thankfully the sound is now working 100%.

It may just have been a coincidence but the wobbly happened when I opened up FaceTime. A continuous tone almost like an alarm sounded and video completely froze. FaceTime hung and I had to Force Quit it. The continuous tone continued until I rebooted the Mac Studio. On trying FaceTime again, the video was very jerky. Sound was a complete mess. In short, perhaps the monitor got stuck while doing an undocumented firmware update.

Seems like we need a few firmware updates before these issues are sorted out.

Is anyone using the new studio display with their PC or console for gaming? What’s the performance like?

I use a 14” MBP for work and the Studio display seems a perfect fit for my work from home setup and a nice upgrade on my Dell S2721DGF.

my only concern is at the end of the day when I want to game on my PC it won’t be as good as experience on my current monitor. I don’t play competitive games so the 60fps frame rate should be fine and I can give or take HDR.

There's a topic for studio display.

Gaming performance being disappointing is completely expected and normal. Response times are in the 10+ milliseconds range.

Last edited:
Apple Studio Display firmware 15.5 has just been released along with new macOS version to support it.

Back
Top Bottom