** The Official WWDC 2011 Thread **

Soldato
OP
I'm officially excited now, I really hope this is what I've been looking for (iTunes streaming etc.)

To have a large collection of tunes but having that tied to one computer is annoying, and portable devices can never carry it all, so this missing gap I hope Apple fill it.

If it's true of all purchases being made streamable and all your personal songs uploaded to the cloud it would free up so much, you wouldn't need big HDDs anymore, and knowing you could access your content anywhere with wifi would be epic.

I heard in a recent blog post that iCloud would only allow for songs bought on the iTunes store to be used on the cloud. Other songs may be "coming soon".

Macrumors.com said:
CNet reports that labels will get 58%, publishers 12%, while Apple retains 30%. They also add that streaming won't be available on Monday but will be offered "soon". And at first, Apple will only store music in iCloud that was purchased in iTunes, but Apple is looking to include songs outside iTunes "sometime in the future".

Source - Apple Finally Signs Universal Music, iCloud Streaming Available "Soon"

Slightly disappointing if that's the case :p

Associate
I feel they could have done a better job on the iCloud icon.

wwdc2011pics42500x333.jpg

I'm getting excited now :p

Soldato
An iPhone 5 is not a "one more thing" announcement - it's an event in itself.

I foresee that there will be some big things on Monday but they will all be software related. I'm not going to speculate as that would be pointless.

However one thing confuses me in this thread and that's the reports on iOS4 making the iPhone 4 run slow. There is no lagging on my iPhone 4 or my iPad. Open apps on the iPad lead to the annoying Safari reload. However closing apps and a reboot sorts that. No issues at all on the iPhone.

Man of Honour
What? WP7 has hardly made an impact. Android may start nipping at Apple's heals. However don't for one moment think Apple cares about what other companies are doing...

Android is already FAR more than 'nipping at Apple's heels' I can assure you, much more. WP7 is new, it isn't going to easily make an impact in this market and it will take time, but it will get there.

However one thing confuses me in this thread and that's the reports on iOS4 making the iPhone 4 run slow. There is no lagging on my iPhone 4 or my iPad. Open apps on the iPad lead to the annoying Safari reload. However closing apps and a reboot sorts that. No issues at all on the iPhone.

I have an iPad, iPad 2 and three iPhone 4's and everything bar the iPad 2 has very slight lagging (nothing major you understand) when opening and closing some things and in the menu's for example. It is being widely reported on nearly all iPhones so I think you just aren't noticing it. Its either a coding fault or the iPhone 4 isn't handling the updates well for some reason.

I fear that iOS5 would really make it choppy, the buttery smoothness has already gone.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I don't think anyone expects a big hardware announcement but the MBA refresh is due any time soon so it'd make sense to talk about it here!

Soldato
Android is already FAR more than 'nipping at Apple's heels' I can assure you, much more. WP7 is new, it isn't going to easily make an impact in this market and it will take time, but it will get there.

I have an iPad, iPad 2 and three iPhone 4's and everything bar the iPad 2 has very slight lagging (nothing major you understand) when opening and closing some things and in the menu's for example. It is being widely reported on nearly all iPhones so I think you just aren't noticing it. Its either a coding fault or the iPhone 4 isn't handling the updates well for some reason.

I fear that iOS5 would really make it choppy, the buttery smoothness has already gone.

Anecdotical evidences says otherwise. From my visits to various social gathering places all I see are iPhones with the odd Android phone. Sure Android will outsell Apple in the same way there are more Fords on the roads than Jaguars. That is also Androids biggest problem - it's is shoehorned onto also sorts of crap. WP7 is new but that doesn't account for the abysmal reception it has had so far. Sales have been slow and that's being kind.

As for the iPad / iPhone 4 lag under iOS 4 well I can assure you I am not ignoring it. I've not seen it and I deal with iPhones at work so I've seen a few. Must be lucky! Probably a coding fault the hardware in the iPhone 4 shouldn't have any problems. Hopefully iOS 5 irons out any performance problems people are having.

I know what you mean because I've seen it on a 3GS as well as on a Nexus One when I had that handset.

Man of Honour
Anecdotical evidences says otherwise. From my visits to various social gathering places all I see are iPhones with the odd Android phone. Sure Android will outsell Apple in the same way there are more Fords on the roads than Jaguars.

Well obviously, but the high end sales are picking up very quickly. It is doing far more than nipping at the heels. I see nearly as many people with Android phones as iPhones, not cheap ones either.

That is also Androids biggest problem - it's is shoehorned onto also sorts of crap. WP7 is new but that doesn't account for the abysmal reception it has had so far. Sales have been slow and that's being kind.

I wouldn't call it abysmal, from a professional point of view, Metro UI has had nothing but praise, its just a very awkward market to get into as people are locked into contracts and like to wait for things to mature, this sort of stuff usually starts off quite slowly. Microsoft's big push with Nokia at the end of this year will have a big say in how things are going to go.

As for the iPad / iPhone 4 lag under iOS 4 well I can assure you I am not ignoring it. I've not seen it and I deal with iPhones at work so I've seen a few. Must be lucky! Probably a coding fault the hardware in the iPhone 4 shouldn't have any problems. Hopefully iOS 5 irons out any performance problems people are having.

I know what you mean because I've seen it on a 3GS as well as on a Nexus One when I had that handset.

It does seem a strange problem as there is nothing to suggest the phone should slow down and have micro-stutter when in things like Settings, etc.

Permabanned
Hasn't Android sort of ...won? There's still a public image that iPhones are these amazing devices that aren't matched, but I know more and more people going Android and didn't Google say they've eclipsed the iOS install base now? (which is obvious as you can get really cheap Android phones of course)

iPhones going to be around but I think it's going to be second place soon. (well it already is) Android is better at the high end as of this post but it also has a lower barrier for entry than iPhone.

I know iOS 5 will still have some of the same jank. One of the most annoying things is wanting to use a different browser, but if you click a link from a text, an email, another app...etc they all default to Safari and there's no way you can change that. I doubt Apple are going to let you change your default apps for things any time soon. I really dig how you can change your keyboard, SMS app, email clients and web browser (properly) on Android.

As my first touch screen phone the 3GS was great but I don't think iOS is for me anymore.

Edit: I hope iOS 5 improves the iPad interface though, I don't like iOS that much and it just looks weird on that larger screen, everything is far too spaced apart. The Windows 8 tablets look freaking amazing in comparison.

Man of Honour
Oh Margaret... you went there.

Samsung just shifted over 1 million Galaxy S II's in the first month of release (which was as many as they could make), and that is just one phone, there are at least a few other top end phones that (sales combined) would easily eclipse the iPhone sales.

Still, this shouldn't be debated in here, I'm looking forward to what iOS 5 brings for phone and pad!

Associate
Android was always going to take over iOS in regards to marketshare, it covers all areas of the market and is a great operating system.

Permabanned
Still, this shouldn't be debated in here, I'm looking forward to what iOS 5 brings for phone and pad!

Yep me too, mostly for the tablet end of things! I hope they do more than just integrate iCloud and a better notification system for the phones!

The only thing that annoys me about Android is the worry over updates/which weird OS version you're getting per manufacturer...it made deciding what phone to get for me quite a headache, when they sort that out it'll be even better for consumers.

But anyway yeah, WWDC, MBA refresh please. :D

Associate
I have no reason to believe it will be but I would quite like to see a Macbook refresh, if only to have the choice. It is the closest they do to a budget laptop but the current model looks like a poor choice to me.

Soldato
I have no reason to believe it will be but I would quite like to see a Macbook refresh, if only to have the choice. It is the closest they do to a budget laptop but the current model looks like a poor choice to me.

The low spec MBP is like twice the speed for £100, no brainer :(

Soldato
What are the chances of...

11" MacBook Air running a iOS/OSX hybrid (iOS 5), touchscreen, amazing anti reflective 720p IPS, quadcore A5 chip, 2GB DDR3, 128GB flash, 12 hour+ battery life, £600.

Too soon?

Associate
I don't think Macbook Airs will go touchscreen - Apple have always made a big thing of the touchscreen interface not being suited to laptops - and I tend to agree.

I thought touch screen was built into lion? If so surely they will release a prouct that utilizes this

Back
Top Bottom