*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

Soldato
This might've already been explained but, following the recent update i've read a lot about the Xbox One supporting streaming like the old 360 did.

Is this actually possible? I've tried looking online but all i can find are either references to Plex or the whole Windows stream to option.

Caporegime
This might've already been explained but, following the recent update i've read a lot about the Xbox One supporting streaming like the old 360 did.

Is this actually possible? I've tried looking online but all i can find are either references to Plex or the whole Windows stream to option.

Plex app only for plex plus at the moment but if you use Media Preview app you can DLNA to your network.

It's not perfect, and doesn't play everything yet, the codec needs updating.

Soldato
Have to say I love the demo experience on the X1, half expecting to have to download the demo then install it then play it.

Nope get to play it right off the bat, I assume the X1 is doing some sort of streaming in the background as I play the game?

Also just got FH2, is there an official OCUK club or anything like there on it?

Cheers

Soldato
That Quantum Break gameplay was great. Looks amazing and I love all the messed up time stuff and how you can use it to progress and take out enemies. Good stuff really excited about it now.

Soldato
What to install games?

Yes.

For Xbox One external storage support, your external drive will need to be USB 3.0 compatible and have 256GB or more free space available on it. When you plug it into the console, the Xbox One will recognize that you've attached an external hard drive, and you'll be asked if you want to format it (you need to). You can also give your device a custom name if you want.

Associate
I tried a couple and they were a bit slower using a 1tb Samsung USB3 drive. I tend to leave the ones I play most on internal and the rest on external...using a 7200rpm drive or SSD might give better results.

I have that drive, bought it for just 40 odd quid off amazon but havent tried it on my Xbox One yet.

Associate
I've had my Xbox One for a few days now and have already been experimenting with putting Sky through it via HDMI.

I have all my AV equipment going through my Yamaha receiver and then split into an external room (my office) and the main big screen and speakers. I'm pretty picking about quality and didn't expect the quality of Sky to be as good as it is, but in my opinion the HD picture from Sky really does look excellent going through the Xbox.

I also didn't expect to use the switching feature as much as I do, but it's great! I can quickly flick between sky and my game, or Netflix etc and it's incredibly smooth for me.

With the October update adding in MKV support I had hoped to ditch my WDTV Live, but alas this doesn't seem to be working at all for me. No matter what MKV I try to play via the Media player, it just pops an error saying 'this is not a supported encoded format'.

I then tried Plex, but again this isn't working well for me. I have the Plex server setup on my Synology NAS (a powerful DS1812+), but on everything I play there are problems. Firstly it will run the CPU at 100% on any reasonable bit-rate MKV (any movie that's say, 12 gigs or larger). Secondly, the disk 'volume utlization' goes to 100% after 15 minutes or so.
Both of these cause frequent pauses, which obviously makes viewing pointless.

The Plex Xbox app is new, and I hope that a thorough data scrubbing and disk check may help, but it seems you need a very powerful NAS to be able to transcode MKV properly.

Back
Top Bottom